Kids these days will never know….

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Mine do, but for the most part, highly doubtful. I'm pretty sure we've been over this before... the whole even/odd EW/NS thing, that mile markers start at the south and west borders and go up, the odd/even thing for spurs vs loops... and that in my mind, Archer Road is still Exit 75. :lol:
Yet no one can explain precisely how the address system works in Gainesville itself. Most roads/addresses being a number--16th for example---then designating a street, court, avenue, road, way, place, etc....THEN a compass heading--NE, NW, SE, etc. 1459 14th St NW or is it 1459 14th Court SE? Or is it......

Even when trying to punch in an address on a GPS it comes back to you with "screw it, you're on your own"

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yet no one can explain precisely how the address system works in Gainesville itself. Most roads/addresses being a number--16th for example---then designating a street, court, avenue, road, way, place, etc....THEN a compass heading--NE, NW, SE, etc. 1459 14th St NW or is it 1459 14th Court SE? Or is it......

Even when trying to punch in an address on a GPS it comes back to you with "screw it, you're on your own"
I think there actually is an official ordering for all those stupid "Place" "Terrace"... someone posted it once (I think!)

If only we had a member here on GCMB that worked for the post office, MAYBE they could explain it to us... :whistle:

Last edited:

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I think there actually is an official ordering for all those stupid "Place" "Terrace"... someone posted it once (I think!)

If only we had a member here on GCMB that worked for the post office, MAYBE they could explain it to us... :whistle:
Oh I know there is a legit system in place that adds a method to that madness, but I know also it can be a screwed up headache at times trying to find some off the wall address. Thanks too for reminding me of "terrace"....I omitted that one off my list, yet it is super common in Gainesville. Actually I would wager Gainesville has more "terraces" than any other town or city anywhere. In all my travels across FL, GA, AL, and MS---no other town uses Terrace as much as Gainesville. Not kidding either.

FWIW....even Atlanta, with their incredible over-use of roads/streets named Peachtree....it pales in comparison to Terrace in Gainesville. Not even in the same ballpark. They should re-market Gainesville under the line of "Gainesville--Home of the Terraces"

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

APRL - avenues, places, roads and lanes all run east to west.

STD - streets terraces and drives run north south

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015

And this system is not universal. Ocala/Marion County is reversed on the Avenue/Streets.

FWIW....even Atlanta, with their incredible over-use of roads/streets named Peachtree....it pales in comparison to Terrace in Gainesville. Not even in the same ballpark. They should re-market Gainesville under the line of "Gainesville--Home of the Terraces"
And if you are not familiar with the massive Silver Springs Shores area, they have a loopy road system.

Pecan Rd.. Pecan Pass, Pecan Way, Pecan Dr. Pecan Run, Pecan Run Trace, Pecan Radial, Pecan Drive Loop, Pecan Lane, Pecan Run Terrace, Pecan Run Harbor, Pecan Run Course...

Same for Bahia, Fir, Redwood, Locust, Pine, Hemlock, Hickory, Spring, Silver, Water, Almond, Teak, Banyan, Cherry...

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Mine do, but for the most part, highly doubtful. I'm pretty sure we've been over this before... the whole even/odd EW/NS thing, that mile markers start at the south and west borders and go up, the odd/even thing for spurs vs loops... and that in my mind, Archer Road is still Exit 75. :lol:
“Archer Road” is the Sign that I have arrived in God’s Country for a football game. And I declare that it is good.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
And this system is not universal. Ocala/Marion County is reversed on the Avenue/Streets.

And if you are not familiar with the massive Silver Springs Shores area, they have a loopy road system.

Pecan Rd.. Pecan Pass, Pecan Way, Pecan Dr. Pecan Run, Pecan Run Trace, Pecan Radial, Pecan Drive Loop, Pecan Lane, Pecan Run Terrace, Pecan Run Harbor, Pecan Run Course...

Same for Bahia, Fir, Redwood, Locust, Pine, Hemlock, Hickory, Spring, Silver, Water, Almond, Teak, Banyan, Cherry...
I only know about Gainesville. It works there.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Delivering home heating oil as a teen in Gville this is what I was taught. Except we didn't learn STD, those were just perpendicular to APRIL. Also, boulevards run diagonal, and circles you should be able to figure out.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Delivering home heating oil as a teen in Gville this is what I was taught. Except we didn't learn STD, those were just perpendicular to APRIL. Also, boulevards run diagonal, and circles you should be able to figure out.
What about WAY?!?!?!?!?!?!

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Earl Scheib will paint any car for $99.99!
I actually used them on my old Ford LTD.

FB_IMG_1713214447561.jpg

Last edited:

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
:rotfl: Boy do I remember those days as a kid when grandparents and every other adult would slab some of this chit on them to help them breathe if they were stopped up. You could get within 10 feet of anyone wearing this stuff, and your own head would open up--even if it wasn't plugged up prior. Had some SERIOUS nasal opening mojo in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.