Lack of Talent?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
While spit ballin' earlier, I'm starting to wonder if what was the Franks/Trask issue for Mullen is now the AR/Kitna issue for Napier. Mullen (and all of us) WANTED Franks to be something he wasn't, a guy who could sling AND run the ball. He wasn't the hero we wanted, he was the hero we got. But in the end, due only to injury, we got Trask. While I think AR is much more talented as an athlete than Franks, and I'm not saying Kitna is Trask (but I did love what I saw of Kitna coming off the bench cold), I'm wondering if we're in the same damn spot we were before.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How many reads does he miss every game? Misses guys that are wide open, only to throw to guys that are fully covered.
How many times that he does find the open guy that he over throws them be 5+ yards?

That ain't scheme hoss.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Fair enough but do you believe he’s running as often as he should…whether it’s on a scramble or an option? I sure as hell don’t.
No, not at all. I agree with you and think we should be more run heavy starting with AR. And throw to the talented backs in space for crying out loud. And play to AR's talents, spread option. Roll AR out almost every play since he throws his intermediate routes much better on the run than dropping back and throwing fastballs. I see a lot of people complaining AR hands off when the back is already damn near stuffed, but those aren't option plays, they are planned runs and we aren't spread so the defense is stacked and waiting.

I'm the first to admit I don't know X's and O's from pimps and hos (happy Halloween biches LOL) but I know we aren't using AR close to correctly to maximize his talents. He looks to me like the freaking Robocop of spread option QB's so of course we are trying to make him a drop back passer and giving him very limited targets from an 12 personnel sets.

Imagine if the HC realized hiring an OC who could have built an offense around AR's talents would be very good thing for his sustained success. Instead we get Billy Ball.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It would be our luck that he transfers and wins a Heisman and NC somewhere else...
The overall offense and playcalling leave a lot to be desired for sure but something happened to this guys footwork in or before the UK game. It also looks like we left a copy of our offensive playbook in the opposing teams locker too with our do the same things in the same situation over and over and over...
If he were going to transfer, and he wants a shot at being more than a one year shot at being an NFL QB, unless we have or hire someone that is truly a good, dedicated QB coach, he should try to transfer to Maryland if they'll have him.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes yes....overthrowing an open receiver is definitely scheme.
Come on man, even you are laughing at yourself for posting that

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Donald Trump GIF by Creative Courage

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're conflating two separate parts of a conversation. But okay, you win...as always

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This is my exact thoughts....I know we have talent on offense but I almost feel like someone on the opposing team is standing in our own damned huddle.
Both you and @Ironhead are spot on. Almost every play had a UGAy defender, and sometimes several, hand motioning the defense into a formation based on something they were recognizing from film. And every change was the correct call alignment.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Both you and @Ironhead are spot on. Almost every play had a UGAy defender, and sometimes several, hand motioning the defense into a formation based on something they were recognizing from film. And every change was the correct call alignment.
Bc the offense is predictable as hell. And even worse, the play that's coming is rarely one that threatens anyone. This offense is like 1980s wallpaper.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Bc the offense is predictable as hell. And even worse, the play that's coming is rarely one that threatens anyone. This offense is like 1980s wallpaper.
This is the answer. They watched the same thing all of us have and they know pretty much what our genius coach is going to do.

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
AR can be the guy, he just needs to get a better grasp on what's going on around him. The reason I said to put him on the bench is so that he will see what's going on and better understand the game plan. I do think he's hurt, or afraid of getting hurt so he doesn't make those instant decisions that he needs to make. Kitna is not a runner, he will not have to think about what to do. He will just throw the ball and I think he is accurate enough to make something happen. Our receivers need a boost, they need some success and then if AR comes back we will be better off for it. AR will only take off if its his only choice, defenses know this and they load up on the line which is killing what could be a fantastic run game. A sound defense that plays man will beat us every time because AR just will not air it out and let our receivers fight for the ball. They lack confidence in their abilities as well as AR's. Look back at what Tebow did. His first option was throwing the ball down field but if it wasn't there, he would not hesitate to lower his shoulder and take off.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The only thing more frustrating than having to admit Itraz is right is watching our offense on Saturdays. But I'm gonna disagree with some on here about AR15's reads. The frustrating thing is he typically makes the correct read but airmails the pass. I've seen some improvement since UK and USF games because at least he didn't tank it against UGA. He does seem weak emotionally and struggles to carry team on an average day. He's either Superman or Clark Kent. Billy needs to figure out how to get more of the former and none of the latter. Color me pessimistic on that.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
AR never wants to set his feet and square his shoulders. We will allow it when Torrence is out, but otherwise..

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
The only thing more frustrating than having to admit Itraz is right is watching our offense on Saturdays. But I'm gonna disagree with some on here about AR15's reads. The frustrating thing is he typically makes the correct read but airmails the pass. I've seen some improvement since UK and USF games because at least he didn't tank it against UGA. He does seem weak emotionally and struggles to carry team on an average day. He's either Superman or Clark Kent. Billy needs to figure out how to get more of the former and none of the latter. Color me pessimistic on that.

He’s got limited vision and touch. So those reads he gets, he often rifles it when it should be a touch pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator