Lack of Talent?

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I played a little longer than HS, just verbalizing what I see from my perspective.
True confessions: I went to HS parties a little longer than HS.

tenor.gif

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did SEC Network mention that Georgia's defenders do this really weird thing when they dive for a tackle... they actually wrap their arms tightly around the guy they are diving at and miraculously stop the player they are tackling right there in that spot instead of the guy bouncing off or over him for anywhere between another 2 and 50 yards? It's the strangest thing I've ever seen!

On a serious note, talent gaps aside, I really hoped that this year, in addition to just better discipline overall (which has improved greatly in terms of idiotic, especially procedural penalties), we'd be much, much better at something as fundamental as tackling.
Our tackling is atrocious. My 9-10 year old team wraps up better.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It does, because it's not as simple as 3*s having difficulty tackling 5*s. Our 3*s struggle with 2*s on down.

Like the scheme or not, the defense is learning something new. They are out of place at times or reacting wrong which causes a series of problems. Then you have career players that are just not that great. We’ll see if next year changes things. I’m of the opinion it will.

Smart walked into a team loaded with NFL guys and went 7-5 in his first season, with losses to our 2016 dynamite squad, Vanderbilt and GTech, and narrowly escaped Nichols(it’s a team, not a family down the street, it seems) in the opener. The next year, that same team was 2nd and 26 from a NC. Same players.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Like the scheme or not, the defense is learning something new. They are out of place at times or reacting wrong which causes a series of problems. Then you have career players that are just not that great. We’ll see if next year changes things. I’m of the opinion it will.

Smart walked into a team loaded with NFL guys and went 7-5 in his first season, with losses to our 2016 dynamite squad, Vanderbilt and GTech, and narrowly escaped Nichols(it’s a team, not a family down the street, it seems) in the opener. The next year, that same team was 2nd and 26 from a NC. Same players.
Speaking of the NFL...iconic coaching matchup on CBS right now. The Barista vs. Man Campbell. I love my Dolphins but if we win today it's a loss for The Natural Order.

So far it's Nerds 0, Jocks 1.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Did SEC Network mention that Georgia's defenders do this really weird thing when they dive for a tackle... they actually wrap their arms tightly around the guy they are diving at and miraculously stop the player they are tackling right there in that spot instead of the guy bouncing off or over him for anywhere between another 2 and 50 yards? It's the strangest thing I've ever seen!
Sounds real odd to me.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

On a serious note, talent gaps aside, I really hoped that this year, in addition to just better discipline overall (which has improved greatly in terms of idiotic, especially procedural penalties), we'd be much, much better at something as fundamental as tackling.
Funny that you mention that… Watching the game yesterday with my brother, I told him that the most glaring difference between us, and them is that they are so fundamentally sound. They rarely, if ever, miss tackles. They rarely, if ever, miss blocks. They rarely, if ever, commit egregious penalties at the worst possible time. Meanwhile, we continue to look like the Keystone cops on both sides of the ball, and special teams.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Seems like ever year, we see players post on social media how they’re getting stronger and the best shape of their lives. Then when we line it up against UGAy or some other titan, they get bullied all around the field.
Did you notice everytime there was a pile(not dogsh!t)but players in a scrum it went in their favor...every time. And against most other teams we've played too.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Their tackling is textbook. They take good angles, come in at the right level, drive and wrap up.....Over the last 2-3 years our tackling is getting worse and worse, either coming in too high(poor Miller on their 1st or 2nd drive)or too low and with a bad angle(Torrence and Dean) and rarely do we wrap up...

Last edited:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Their tackling is textbook. They take good angles, come in at the right level, drive and wrap up.....Over the last 2-3 years our tackling is getting worse and worse, coming in too high(poor Miller on their 1st or 2nd drive)or too low and with a bad angle(Torrence and Dean) and rarely do we wrap up...
Yep, Ga was fundamentally, very sound.
That's actually one of the things I was expecting to see improve, given the bye week, and a chance to work on issues plaguing the team so far this season.
I guess it's ok with our D Coordinator(s), and our head coach, for our guys to come flying in out of control and dive at the ankles or thighs.

Does anyone think Kirby didn't watch film and pick up on this and relay that to his team?

We were outclassed, outcoached and embarrassed. The only thing that kept that game from being 56-3 were two turnovers.

As much as I loved it when Spurrier turned the tables on Ga, I hate it that much more now that Kirby has done the same damn thing.

I never thought I would see us as inept, as timid, as tuned out as that Gary Darnell 1989 team.
Hard to accept.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I hate bashing the kid, but you’re right. We should have pulled him weeks ago. If he was making lots of plays with his legs then I can see leaving him in, but he’s not and that makes him a liability because he’s a below average passing QB.
414 rushing yds, 6 rushing TD's putting him just behind Johnson's 449 and 7 TD's and significantly ahead of ET's 387 and 4 TD's.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yep, Ga was fundamentally, very sound.
That's actually one of the things I was expecting to see improve, given the bye week, and a chance to work on issues plaguing the team so far this season.
I guess it's ok with our D Coordinator(s), and our head coach, for our guys to come flying in out of control and dive at the ankles or thighs.

Does anyone think Kirby didn't watch film and pick up on this and relay that to his team?

We were outclassed, outcoached and embarrassed. The only thing that kept that game from being 56-3 were two turnovers.

As much as I loved it when Spurrier turned the tables on Ga, I hate it that much more now that Kirby has done the same damn thing.

I never thought I would see us as inept, as timid, as tuned out as that Gary Darnell 1989 team.
Hard to accept.
Were a team in transition(whether it's good or bad I'm not sure)while I've been in the camp that we have a severe talent deficit I am also aware the coaches are missing at correcting the bad habits and seem to be stuck in a rut with some of the playcalling. I can't tell anymore than anyone else on here how this will turn out but it's not a lot of fun to sit through. Odds are it won't get completely fixed next year either BUT there should not be ANY excuses for not being on the better side of 8 or 9 wins either. I'm patient but I've got to see more positive than what were seeing this season X2 at least.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Were a team in transition(whether it's good or bad I'm not sure)while I've been in the camp that we have a severe talent deficit I am also aware the coaches are missing at correcting the bad habits and seem to be stuck in a rut with some of the playcalling. I can't tell anymore than anyone else on here how this will turn out but it's not a lot of fun to sit through. Odds are it won't get completely fixed next year either BUT there should not be ANY excuses for not being on the better side of 8 or 9 wins either. I'm patient but I've got to see more positive than what were seeing this season X2 at least.
I hear Ya.
I agree, no way in hell, if we are a well coached team, we don't get to that 8 or 9 win mark next year. Hell, It would be a major improvement if we were to win out this year.

I'm just confused as hell.
I cant square with they way we played against Utah to the steady decline in every damn game since.

Is it the entire offensive scheme is so damned simple to figure out, all it took was one damn game film for opposing DC's to game plan and completely shut the offense down?

Even the Defense played somewhat better against Utah. I was thinking the entire game we were playing "Bend don't break" and it seemed to be working. Eventually it did.
At no point of that game did I feel like we were being "physically" dominated, like we were yesterday.

We are definitely regressing, not progressing. No doubt.

I'm beginning to wonder if Napier, has lost this team.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
414 rushing yds, 6 rushing TD's putting him just behind Johnson's 449 and 7 TD's and significantly ahead of ET's 387 and 4 TD's.
Fair enough but do you believe he’s running as often as he should…whether it’s on a scramble or an option? I sure as hell don’t.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Their tackling is textbook. They take good angles, come in at the right level, drive and wrap up.....Over the last 2-3 years our tackling is getting worse and worse, either coming in too high(poor Miller on their 1st or 2nd drive)or too low and with a bad angle(Torrence and Dean) and rarely do we wrap up...
Yup... I saw your original comments about the tackling after I posted my response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator