Lack of Talent?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Is it the entire offensive scheme is so damned simple to figure out, all it took was one damn game film for opposing DC's to game plan and completely shut the offense down?
This is my exact thoughts....I know we have talent on offense but I almost feel like someone on the opposing team is standing in our own damned huddle.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Their tackling is textbook. They take good angles, come in at the right level, drive and wrap up.....Over the last 2-3 years our tackling is getting worse and worse, either coming in too high(poor Miller on their 1st or 2nd drive)or too low and with a bad angle(Torrence and Dean) and rarely do we wrap up...
The one that really made me vomit was a run by one of their backs, I think it was in the late 3rd quarter, Torrence comes down with a head of steam, had the right angle and everything, then proceeded to try to go high and was stiff-armed into oblivion. Pathetic

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I hear Ya.
I agree, no way in hell, if we are a well coached team, we don't get to that 8 or 9 win mark next year. Hell, It would be a major improvement if we were to win out this year.

I'm just confused as hell.
I cant square with they way we played against Utah to the steady decline in every damn game since.

Is it the entire offensive scheme is so damned simple to figure out, all it took was one damn game film for opposing DC's to game plan and completely shut the offense down?

Even the Defense played somewhat better against Utah. I was thinking the entire game we were playing "Bend don't break" and it seemed to be working. Eventually it did.
At no point of that game did I feel like we were being "physically" dominated, like we were yesterday.

We are definitely regressing, not progressing. No doubt.

I'm beginning to wonder if Napier, has lost this team.
I think it's that AR is so damned simple to figure out. Defenses now basically sell out on preventing him from running and bank on his inability to throw accurately/have touch and for him to make at least 1, if not more, critical mistakes (e.g., throwing a busted play pass to someone 5 yards behind the LOS for a TFL instead of throwing it away, or something like that horrendous FIRST DOWN duck of an INT, like he thought it was 3rd down and a deep INT was as good as a punt). If you rewatch the game (all of them actually), there are NUMEROUS horrible reads and throws by AR that I'm willing to bet Kitna would be completing, and a bunch of them are drive, if not game, changers. I could be horribly wrong, but I think had we put Kitna in after the first series, he completes more clutch throws with better reads and the rest of the offense steps up just enough (i.e., not banking on AR bailing things out) to make us far more competitive yesterday. At this point, and given how many times we see an open back coming out of our backfield, and given his poor choices trying to "go for it," I don't think it's that Billy won't hit backs out of the backfield, it's that AR won't throw to them until it is way too late and a TFL because AR thinks he'll be able to scramble out of a situation better than a back like Etienne can catch it and break up field (which is stupid). I was willing to give Billy the benefit of the doubt on that earlier in the season, but at this point, unless he is telling AR "do not ever dump to the back" as part of a design, AR not utilizing backs out of the backfield is on Billy, not AR.

Sorry this was a bit messy, I'm spit ballin' here!

It's been said enough, but while he is a great kid with amazing athletic talent, at least under two coaching staffs now, AR is NOT a good QB

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
This is my exact thoughts....I know we have talent on offense but I almost feel like someone on the opposing team is standing in our own damned huddle.
Yep
The whole “fake hand clap” look at the defense, then clap for the snap was already in GA’s game plan.
They knew when we were snapping the damned ball.

I noticed this on the very first series.
I actually thought we would go away from the hand clap to actually calling a cadence.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I think it's that AR is so damned simple to figure out. Defenses now basically sell out on preventing him from running and bank on his inability to throw accurately/have touch and for him to make at least 1, if not more, critical mistakes (e.g., throwing a busted play pass to someone 5 yards behind the LOS for a TFL instead of throwing it away, or something like that horrendous FIRST DOWN duck of an INT, like he thought it was 3rd down and a deep INT was as good as a punt). If you rewatch the game (all of them actually), there are NUMEROUS horrible reads and throws by AR that I'm willing to bet Kitna would be completing, and a bunch of them are drive, if not game, changers. I could be horribly wrong, but I think had we put Kitna in after the first series, he completes more clutch throws with better reads and the rest of the offense steps up just enough (i.e., not banking on AR bailing things out) to make us far more competitive yesterday. At this point, and given how many times we see an open back coming out of our backfield, and given his poor choices trying to "go for it," I don't think it's that Billy won't hit backs out of the backfield, it's that AR won't throw to them until it is way too late and a TFL because AR thinks he'll be able to scramble out of a situation better than a back like Etienne can catch it and break up field (which is stupid). I was willing to give Billy the benefit of the doubt on that earlier in the season, but at this point, unless he is telling AR "do not ever dump to the back" as part of a design, AR not utilizing backs out of the backfield is on Billy, not AR.

Sorry this was a bit messy, I'm spit ballin' here!

It's been said enough, but while he is a great kid with amazing athletic talent, at least under two coaching staffs now, AR is NOT a good QB
Agree
I was gushing over AR after the Utah game.
I think I even called him a once in a generation talent , like Tebow and Wuerffel, good lord.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Everything you said there is the reason we end up in so many 3rd and 9's ....if he starts using his backs without hesitating like you say he would also pull the safety up closer and spread out the los making his downfield throws open up a little. I'm sure everyone here has heard the saying about how much easier it is to call plays on 2nd and 3 or even 3rd and 2 then 3rd and long which is what those quick passes to the backs should do not to mention ET could easily break one of them off for 6...

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some of you are so dead set on arguing how bad the coaches are that you can't help yourself allow for anyone to critique the players.

You facepalm my posts, then proceed to post this which bounces around what I said, but effectively agrees with it even if you won't say it.

Say it bro....AR is an inaccurate passer. It's okay, you can still dislike the coaches and say it. Go on give it a shot:lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
AR sucks, I think naps offense sucks worse tho. I also wonder if he was playing for someone that has proven to be successful with guys like him, he'd look a lot different.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Some of you are so dead set on arguing how bad the coaches are that you can't help yourself allow for anyone to critique the players.

You facepalm my posts, then proceed to post this which bounces around what I said, but effectively agrees with it even if you won't say it.

Say it bro....AR is an inaccurate passer. It's okay, you can still dislike the coaches and say it. Go on give it a shot:lol:
Yes, I believe several of us have made that point.
It’s also coaching.
Which includes….
Game plans.
Situational play calls.
Self scouting for tendencies.
Clock management.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Because you facepalmed both posts where all I talked about was his being inaccurate :confused:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, I believe several of us have made that point.
It’s also coaching.
Which includes….
Game plans.
Situational play calls.
Self scouting for tendencies.
Clock management.
And I've never argued differently.

Some of us can have conversations about individual topics....some cant

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
AR sucks, I think naps offense sucks worse tho. I also wonder if he was playing for someone that has proven to be successful with guys like him, he'd look a lot different.
It would be our luck that he transfers and wins a Heisman and NC somewhere else...
The overall offense and playcalling leave a lot to be desired for sure but something happened to this guys footwork in or before the UK game. It also looks like we left a copy of our offensive playbook in the opposing teams locker too with our do the same things in the same situation over and over and over...

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
That says a lot but it doesn't say it all. Nobody I know of gets less out of more than Kirby Smart. I'd hate to see us string together a bunch of top 5 classes and find ourselves at least temporarily stuck at the alter.

It's not just about talent. You need also to be able to plan, scheme and adjust, get the most out of your people. You need to be able to coach.
I'd say Jimbo is worse than Shart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.