Lane Kiffin signs extension

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Lane Kiffin just signed an extension with Ole Miss today. Some of my high level CFB sources, 2 of whom are in Mississippi, filled me in on the details so long as I kept their names anonymous.

Kiffy’s existing deal just concluded its’ first year and was set to expire at the end of the 2026 season (3 more seasons left). The average salary for the remaining 3 years was set to average just a tad shy of $9m per year. Kiffy’s new deal adds 5 more years to the current length so he’s locked in for 8 more seasons. As far as compensation, let’s start with the side dishes. His assistant coaches pool is increasing by approximately 40% immediately with annual escalators built in that will result in total assistant comp that is 105% more in eight seasons than it is today. Furthermore, Ole Miss has budgeted $165m in infrastructure improvements to the stadium & facilities over the next 8 years. Additionally, they have budgeted for an additional 25 support staff positions for Kiffin.

Now for the main course. Kiffin’s salary next year will increase to $13.2m and will increase annually from there. His average salary over the life of the contract will be approximately $14.8m. One of the major points used by Lane’s agent was Billy Napier’s deal here. The logic was if Billy gets $7.1m per year for 5 wins and Lane wins twice as many games as Sun Belt Billy, then Lane should get twice as much money. It’s extremely tough to argue against that position and Kiffin’s new deal reflects that. I fully expect other coaches to use Billy in their future contract negotiation/renegotiation talks.

It looks like our genius administrators will end up spending exponentially more during the next search than they would have a few years ago had they swung for the fences on a big hire. Once again, Foley’s bargain basement thrift store spending practices come back to bite us multiple times on the same Sun Belt Billy hire/future fire fiasco, just like it has on the 3 dipshyts prior to current said dipshyt.

Discuss.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
165 mil in infrastructure at Ole Miss. UK has been spending bigly too.

UF was patting themselves on the back for 50 mil and we waited from 2015 til after covid so the post covid inflation bought is like half the upgrades.

At least we got the best baseball stadium in the SEC for the 200 fans, mostly family and girlfriends, that care.

I think Fooley and Cowbell Fooley Jr. are happy to stay second from last in football but still cash the same checks as Bammer.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

UF was patting themselves on the back for 50 mil.andnwe waited from 2015 til after covid so the post covid inflation bought is like half the upgrades.

At least we got the best baseball stadium in the SEC for the 200 fans, mostly family and girlfriends, that care.

I think Fooley and Cowbell Fooley Jr. are happy to stay second from last.

And I forgot to mention a novel concept Ole Miss is gambling on…when they upgrade their stadium, get this, they’re actually adding MORE seats, while we reduce capacity at our stadium.

Then again, they don’t have nearly as many anxiety riddled, Diazepam popping foreign exchange students that scored 1600 SAT and spend every Saturday studying for the MCAT, so I guess that seating increase makes sense for them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And I forgot to mention a novel concept Ole Miss is gambling on…when they upgrade their stadium, get this, they’re actually adding MORE seats, while we reduce capacity at our stadium.
THAT IS AN ADA VIOLATION!!!!

They ought to be gambling on hiring a slightly competent defensive coordinator.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016

UF was patting themselves on the back for 50 mil.andnwe waited from 2015 til after covid so the post covid inflation bought is like half the upgrades.

I think Fooley and Cowbell Fooley Jr. are happy to stay second from last in football but still cash the same checks as Bammer.
On another note, great to see you back, donk.

For the record, sarcasm meter reads "0".

No, really guys - it's "0".

Welcome back.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
Lane Kiffin just signed an extension with Ole Miss today. Some of my high level CFB sources, 2 of whom are in Mississippi, filled me in on the details so long as I kept their names anonymous.

Kiffy’s existing deal just concluded its’ first year and was set to expire at the end of the 2026 season (3 more seasons left). The average salary for the remaining 3 years was set to average just a tad shy of $9m per year. Kiffy’s new deal adds 5 more years to the current length so he’s locked in for 8 more seasons. As far as compensation, let’s start with the side dishes. His assistant coaches pool is increasing by approximately 40% immediately with annual escalators built in that will result in total assistant comp that is 105% more in eight seasons than it is today. Furthermore, Ole Miss has budgeted $165m in infrastructure improvements to the stadium & facilities over the next 8 years. Additionally, they have budgeted for an additional 25 support staff positions for Kiffin.

Now for the main course. Kiffin’s salary next year will increase to $13.2m and will increase annually from there. His average salary over the life of the contract will be approximately $14.8m. One of the major points used by Lane’s agent was Billy Napier’s deal here. The logic was if Billy gets $7.1m per year for 5 wins and Lane wins twice as many games as Sun Belt Billy, then Lane should get twice as much money. It’s extremely tough to argue against that position and Kiffin’s new deal reflects that. I fully expect other coaches to use Billy in their future contract negotiation/renegotiation talks.

It looks like our genius administrators will end up spending exponentially more during the next search than they would have a few years ago had they swung for the fences on a big hire. Once again, Foley’s bargain basement thrift store spending practices come back to bite us multiple times on the same Sun Belt Billy hire/future fire fiasco, just like it has on the 3 dipshyts prior to current said dipshyt.

Discuss.
If this ends how everyone expects it to with BN getting shown the door, it will cost 15-17 million a year to get a proven winner at the p5 level. If Strickland/Foley are still in charge they will still have to spend 10-12 to get the next up and coming gem who just won the southern mountain pacific eastern coastal athletic conference championship with the 105th ranked offense in the FBS as the next coach of the Florida Gators.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Ole Miss knows that Kiffin is the best coach they could ever land, so they are willing to spend more than they should. They also know they have no shot at any championships with him, but at least he keeps them from getting completely forgotten.

If Kiffin had a shot at the next tier of schools, he would have been gone already. He was expecting to get hired away after last year and didn't get a sniff, and it's obvious that was repeated this year. Looks like both sides have made peace with this marriage of convenience.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Ole Miss knows that Kiffin is the best coach they could ever land, so they are willing to spend more than they should. They also know they have no shot at any championships with him, but at least he keeps them from getting completely forgotten.

If Kiffin had a shot at the next tier of schools, he would have been gone already. He was expecting to get hired away after last year and didn't get a sniff, and it's obvious that was repeated this year. Looks like both sides have made peace with this marriage of convenience.
No shot at any Championships?
Damn, Give me some of that "No Championship" stuff !!
However, the early returnees have not deterred Kiffin from working hard in the transfer portal. The Rebels already hold 10 commitments from transfer players, including a host of SEC players making the move to Oxford. And while 247Sports gives Kiffin’s program the No. 1 spot in the transfer class rankings, it’s likely Ole Miss is not even finished adding pieces out of the portal:

• Who are the new additions for the Rebels? Over the weekend, Ole Miss added a pair of former Tennessee defenders, with edge rusher Tyler Baron and DB Tamarion McDonald committing to the Rebels. Baron was a key pass rusher, tallying 6 sacks during the 2023 season, and McDonald had 4 pass breakups and an interception in the secondary. Speaking of the secondary, that has been a key area of focus, with former MississippiState DB Decamerion Richardson, former Illinois DB Tahveon Nicholson and former Oklahoma DB Key Lawrence included in the group of transfer commitments. Princely Umanmielen, an All-SEC pass rusher from Florida with 14.5 career sacks is another of the key commitments for Ole Miss. Offensively, the Rebels added key WR Juice Wells from South Carolina after an injury-plagued 2023.

• How have the additions shifted Ole Miss’s outlook for 2024? Make no mistake about it: Ole Miss is a legitimate SEC contender under Kiffin. Paul Finebaum at least believes that’s the case, crediting Kiffin for turning the Rebels into “an elite upper echelon SEC team.” Finebaum admitted Kiffin has the Nick Saban problem but “so does about 13” coaches in the SEC. He also said “it’s hard to find anyone” that can be more effective in the portal these days. Saturday Down South’s Matt Hayes is also impressed by the work of Kiffin, pointing to the work in the portal as moving the Rebels ever closer to becoming a College Football Playoff contender.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, none. My comment had nothing to do with the Gators. Ole Miss will never sniff a SEC championship. Ever.
What does that have to do with sneaking in the playoffs, seems like both are mutually exclusive next year

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Yes, none. My comment had nothing to do with the Gators. Ole Miss will never sniff a SEC championship. Ever.
Pretty sure your disdain for Kiffy is clouding your judgement.
I see what he's doing with a lesser roster.
Hard not to think a Championship could be in his future, if he keeps building the roster.

I'm not sold on building the roster through the portal, YET.
But, I see what fsu did through the portal, and that success has put them back on the map with HS Recruiting.

I think he's actually building something.
I'm jealous.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure your disdain for Kiffy is clouding your judgement.
I see what he's doing with a lesser roster.
Hard not to think a Championship could be in his future, if he keeps building the roster.

I'm not sold on building the roster through the portal, YET.
But, I see what fsu did through the portal, and that success has put them back on the map with HS Recruiting.

I think he's actually building something.
I'm jealous.
LOL "building something". Certainly words that have never applied to Lane Kiffin. One, he's too lazy on the trail to build anything, and two, he will flee to another job the first real chance he gets. He never wanted to be at Ole Miss and still doesn't. He certainly doesn't want the pressure of actually winning anything of substance. He hasn't faced that pressure yet, the Ole Miss fans are perfectly happy just being in a conversation.

Our fans are so beaten down. Because of our situation, suddenly every other coach is a great coach and recruiter that's "building something". It's tough to peruse thoughts from the Gator Nation these days.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
LOL "building something". Certainly words that have never applied to Lane Kiffin. One, he's too lazy on the trail to build anything, and two, he will flee to another job the first real chance he gets. He never wanted to be at Ole Miss and still doesn't. He certainly doesn't want the pressure of actually winning anything of substance.

Our fans are so beaten down. Because of our situation, suddenly every other coach is a great coach that's "building something". It's tough to peruse thoughts from the Gator Nation these days.
You could be right.
I think you're wrong.

Not about him wanting to be at OM, or even leaving.

About Building something.
I hate what CFB has become. But, it looks like, the portal is an equalizer for lazy recruiting.

Also, he just wrapped up a 10-2 season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Also, he just wrapped up a 10-2 season.
He sure did, the same kind of meaningless 10 win season we had with Butters and others. I know we'd take that these days, but that's not our expectations here. It's great at Ole Miss.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
LOL "building something". Certainly words that have never applied to Lane Kiffin. One, he's too lazy on the trail to build anything, and two, he will flee to another job the first real chance he gets. He never wanted to be at Ole Miss and still doesn't. He certainly doesn't want the pressure of actually winning anything of substance. He hasn't faced that pressure yet, the Ole Miss fans are perfectly happy just being in a conversation.

Our fans are so beaten down. Because of our situation, suddenly every other coach is a great coach and recruiter that's "building something". It's tough to peruse thoughts from the Gator Nation these days.
If you had a choice right now between Kiffin and Napier to hire as your next head football coach, who would it be, and why?

You have exactly 30 minutes from now to answer or you get a 3 day vacation.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If you had a choice right now between Kiffin and Napier to hire as your next head football coach, who would it be, and why?

You have exactly 30 minutes from now to answer or you get a 3 day vacation.
Either choice is the same result. No championships. Might as well hire Greg Nord.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He sure did, the same kind of meaningless 10 win season we had with Butters and others. I know we'd take that these days, but that's not our expectations here. It's great at Ole Miss.
Please explain with the past AD and present AD and their hiring history, what makes you think UF has a shot at any championship. And give a time frame that you expect to see the Gators play for that national title.

Our expectations as fans and winning championships obviously are not the expectation of the AD with their constant frugal and long shot hiring's. What Ole Misss did with Kiffy is no different than giving Chump a raise and extension, then butters.. etc Those coaches clearly weren't going to bring championships but were given golden parachutes.,.. and were so schitty that there was no hope of another school wanting them, had to fire them and bite the buyout, whereas Kiffy will be sought after sooner or later...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator