Law's illegitimate Child Has UF Unranked

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Well, I don't know that asking the perennial worst Western program to beat what has become an absolute beast under Saban is the best judge of a coach's worthiness either. I still think that Mullen's biggest flaw is/was staying there as long as he did. It made zero sense. At the latest 2014 should've been his final year. But I do agree that one or two wins mean little. Nutt and Tubberville both beat Meyer at home with Tebow and Harvin. I want neither.

As I've said, we can(or at least should be able to) do better than both. When your UAA is infected with garbage mindsets, this is what you get. Anyone want to guess who we get if Mullen says no in 2017? I'll always be thankful that he said yes and spared us from a Knoxville type disaster.

I'll give Law some credit on his list. I don't like Malzahn but do agree he was never given due praise for what he did during Alabama's run. Those wins should've garnered a lot more attention.
You think Mullen will ever beat Saban? I'm with Law on this one. I don't see him ever getting over that hump so we are just spinning our wheels until the inevitable. The worst thing about the 12 team playoff might be Nads can go from being touted as always getting a NY6 game, to usually making the playoffs, as if it is some great achievement to finish in the top 12, and we could be stuck with him as long as SS is here.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
How many custodians have a college football field (albeit housed within a racist-ly named stadium) named after them?

btw - current job:

Maryland (2021–present)
Associate head coach & special teams (defensive) coordinator

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You think Mullen will ever beat Saban? I'm with Law on this one. I don't see him ever getting over that hump so we are just spinning our wheels until the inevitable. The worst thing about the 12 team playoff might be Nads can go from being touted as always getting a NY6 game, to usually making the playoffs, as if it is some great achievement to finish in the top 12, and we could be stuck with him as long as SS is here.

Anything's possible. How many tries is he getting. But to go a step further, how many times is any active coach beating Saban out of say 10 tries? That can't be the only criteria. Sucks, but it's reality. Which team has cycled through more head coaches in the past 15 years because of the behemoth within their division--the tennessee volunteers or the Miami dolphins? I'm not happy with Mullen and would be fine seeing a definitive upgrade. But I don't subscribe to the idea that wheels are coming off or that we just throw darts a board, spinning our wheels through losing seasons, until we land someone else.

But to repeat what I've said, SS, or whoever the AD is, doesn't make those calls. If he did then Ron Zook and/or Will Muschamp would still be coaching here. Boosters aren't standing for persistent mediocrity, especially if it coincides with um/fsu/uga excelling. Nor was he or his style their preferred choice. He needs to perform quickly or he will be out, and that means changes will happen one way or another.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, even Sumlin beat Saban once (at Bama no less) and I'd be willing to bet all my Oxbucks that no one here wants him as our next HC.
Hell even Sylvester Croom beat Saban (at Bammer).

I can think of one dude who never did and never will.

75f689c40510a7.gif

But I guess if I were making 8 mil a year, I would put too much work into getting better either.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
A&M was a vintage UF vs the West close, mind numbing loss. I think we’ve gone undefeated against the West three times since the divisions split(‘95, ‘96, ‘09?). Should’ve won, but it happens nearly every year here.

As for Oklahoma, I’ve said before I don’t care about bowls especially now. When 3/4 of your team is out, it’s not any sort of gauge of that season, or what’s coming, IMO. I can hate the approach by Mullen at the same time. But the loss, to me, means nothing.

‘98 too I believe.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I still think that Mullen's biggest flaw is/was staying there as long as he did. .
dafuq you think he was going to go?

You cant leave if no one will touch your stupid ass with a 10 foot pole. Its not like he just became semi retarded here. He has always acted like this.

Hell Tinerc had four hiring searches asking approximately 15 people each time and he was only finally mentioned in their fourth search after their first 13 choices said no.

He didnt leave because he couldnt leave. He took the first offer he was given, we just happened to be the people stupid enough to hire a Cowbell AD.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
dafuq you think he was going to go?

You cant leave if no one will touch your stupid ass with a 10 foot pole. Its not like he just became semi retarded here. He has always acted like this.

Hell Tinerc had four hiring searches asking approximately 15 people each time and he was only finally mentioned in their fourth search after their first 13 choices said no.

He didnt leave because he couldnt leave. He took the first offer he was given, he just happened to be the people stupid enough to hire a Cowbell.

Despite what you may think, there was some demand for the guy. You really think when he had Msu at #1(half an hour or not) back in 2004 and Prescott was all the rave, just a few years after his last QB was all the rave, and while UF was floundering for the 5th straight season since he left, there wasn't any interest from a program even slightly higher than the one in Starkville? I'm not saying UF or Alabama level, but he could've taken some step up position and eliminated some of the 9 years of futility talk. For that matter, miami fans wanted him and were pissed when Richt left and the had to settle for Manny. Anything but stay at a place where you know you're going to get your face kicked in at a minimum of 4 times a year.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Despite what you may think, there was some demand for the guy. You really think when he had Msu at #1(half an hour or not) back in 2004 and Prescott was all the rave, just a few years after his last QB was all the rave, and while UF was floundering for the 5th straight season since he left, there wasn't any interest from a program even slightly higher than the one in Starkville? I'm not saying UF or Alabama level, but he could've taken some step up position and eliminated some of the 9 years of futility talk. For that matter, miami fans wanted him and were pissed when Richt left and the had to settle for Manny. Anything but stay at a place where you know you're going to get your face kicked in at a minimum of 4 times a year.

Interesting you bring up the Miami job. I have a different recollection. I recall sportswriters/sources saying Mullen interviewed for the UM job and coming across as such an arrogant douche that the Miami administration took a hard pass on him. The only thing I’m somewhat unsure of is if this was in 2011 before they settled on Golden or 2016 when they went with Richt. I think it was 2011 but not 100% positive.

Regardless, the point is the same…maybe the UM fans wanted him like you said but the decision makers who actually sat in the same room as him & interviewed him thought he was a pompous jackass. I dunno, maybe he showed up in a Darth Vader costume.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
.Anything but stay at a place where you know you're going to get your face kicked in at a minimum of 4 times a year.
Dildo Dan gets his face kicked in four times a year at UF, and he is damn lucky that he doesnt have a competent clowntown and tinerc to make it six.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Dildo Dan gets his face kicked in four times a year at UF, and he is damn lucky that he doesnt have a competent clowntown and tinerc to make it six.

Yeesh. This again?

Clowntown and tennessee were the two toughest teams on our schedule for years. They’ve been replaced by Lsu and uga.

In Spurrier’s first three seasons, he went 2-4 against fsu and ut. In Mullen’s first three seasons, he’s gone 2-4 against uga and Lsu.

And just to put it into perspective:

The vols and noles respectively ’18-20
16-19
14-20

Lsu and uga respectively ’90-92
12-21
23-12

Which teams happen to be garbage and which teams happen to be good at any given moment is really irrelevant. He hasn’t fared well against the best, but neither did our best coach ever regardless of how you want to remember it.

Also, Mullen has lost 4 games one time in 3 seasons. Lay off the rum.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I say we go 8-4. Definitely lose to uga bama and LSU. We'll drop atleast onof FSU,Tennessee or Kentucky.

With no obvious upgrades coming off the edge our problems on the back end will continue.. It's weird because we freakin sign 15 rushends every year.

Offensively we don't have any proven playmakers out wide. If we're depending on shorter, Copeland, zip and gamble, we're in deep shcit.An unproven qb. We've been terrible run blocking the last few years.

If Emory Jones is a stud . Henderson and Fraziers emerge as playmakers. And a couple of guys become absolute dogs coming off the edge, I'll give us 10-2. But that's a pretty big stretch.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Yeesh. This again?

Clowntown and tennessee were the two toughest teams on our schedule for years. They’ve been replaced by Lsu and uga.

In Spurrier’s first three seasons, he went 2-4 against fsu and ut. In Mullen’s first three seasons, he’s gone 2-4 against uga and Lsu.

And just to put it into perspective:

The vols and noles respectively ’18-20
16-19
14-20

Lsu and uga respectively ’90-92
12-21
23-12

Which teams happen to be garbage and which teams happen to be good at any given moment is really irrelevant. He hasn’t fared well against the best, but neither did our best coach ever regardless of how you want to remember it.

Yeah, that LSU team was a tough one last season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Youre borderline insane on this point. Rum might give you at least an excuse, but perhaps a complete psychotic break is the better answer.

I know you want Butters Part 2 to be something other than your second straight flop, but you can always get the tattoo removed.

Incessantly trying to compare Quittin Dan to the guy whose name is on the stadium, who won a de facto SEC championship his first year then dominated for a decade really makes you look silly.

You can pretend Dildo Dan is something other than the guy who would be 1-2 vs UK but for a lucky ankle injury but the rest of the world is laughing at you.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah they were 5-5 in conference this season. Wildly different indeed than that 1992 vols team(5-3 in conference) that spanked us 31-14 that year.
See the difference is we didnt lose to the Vols every fuchsing seadon like Dildo does to every team with a the slightest pulse.

Im convinced the only answer is Jboss has havked you.

76020462eaa4b9.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, that LSU team was a tough one last season.
Not to mention the UT comparison. he's really trying to compare 1990s UT to the current one? Yes, we lost to UT once when SOS was still saddled with a PROBATION roster. Then we destroyed UT for a decade even as they were a Top 4 team.

sure UT then and now are very simliar bc UT was 10-3 in 1991.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Youre borderline insane on this point. Rum might give you at least an excuse, but perhaps a complete psychotic break is the better answer.

I know you want Butters Part 2 to be something other than your second straight flop, but you can always get the tattoo removed.

Incessantly trying to compare Quittin Dan to the guy whose name is on the stadium, who won a de facto SEC championship his first year then dominated for a decade really makes you look silly.

You can pretend Dildo Dan is something other than the guy who would be 1-2 vs UK but for a lucky ankle injury but the rest of the world is laughing at you.

That's just the point--I'm not saying he's comparable at all. What I also don't do is completely forget that things weren't always perfect then either. When Mullen loses to uga this season, he'll be 1-3 against the best regular season team we've faced. How is that so different than going 1-3 against fsu in Spurrier's first four seasons? A loss to a 10-3(call it 9-3) Uk team isn't any more inexcusable than losing to a 10-2 Syracuse team(one of the losses was to East Carolina). You talk about Mullen needing lucky breaks, which he did. How about hanging on for dear life against 7-4 SouthernMiss and 5-6 Usce in 1992, or needing a miraculously bad coverage to avoid a loss to 6-6 Uk in '93? You think we needed a few favorable bounces in those games?

As for losing to the vols every season, no we didn't. But against them and the noles--the two toughest teams we faced each year--we were a combined 13-13.

And to your most recent post, no, I'm not comparing 90's ut to today's ut. I'm comparing them to today's Lsu, which was complete and utter garbage in the 90's like the vols are today. That's again the point you're missing. It doesn't matter the color of the jersey. It's who happens to be good at the time. Otherwise Dickey would be opening up a restaurant in Gville. He was nearly perfect against the noles. Times change. Circumstances change.

I'm to the point that I don't think Mullen is the answer here. I just don't get so swept up in negativity and midweek drinking that I lose all perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.