Les Miles hired by Kansas

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
What does that have to do with the intelligence of Les Miles?

With respect OX,

I've never personally met Les or Coach O but there people speculate on their IQ all the time.

And true what I said had nothing to do with intelligence of Miles.

So let me ask you this, what does IQ have to do with Football IQ? What does IQ have to do with winning?

I'd take Les Miles or Ed Orgeron over MusChump or Butters any day...Not that I want them for UF.

Dan Marino was a great QB but his intelligence was very much in doubt..but the boy was a baller.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I love how everyone acts like "10 wins" means something today like it did in the seventies when that phrase was used. After adding 2 extra cupcake games, 10 wins today

10-1 meant something.

10-4 doesnt mean shyt.

10 wins today is 8-4 from the old days.
How does one even get a 10-4 record? :dunno:
n/m I suppose, but how often do you play in your conference championship game with a 10-2 record, lose that, then lose the bowl game.
Math never was your thing.

From Wikipedia
Etymology: 10-Win Season
In the days of 11 game seasons and before conference championship games the phrase "10-Win Season" would refer to the regular season and then "and a bowl win" might be added. Post season records were usually a separate topic.In the era of 12 game seasons, conference championships, and playoffs the term still refers to the regular season in proper usage. The regular season is used as the basis as it is the common denominator among all teams regardless if they appear in a conference championship game, playoff game or bowl.
Controversy:
It has been noted that a 10-Win Season in a 11 game regular season is not the same winning percentage as a 10-Win Season in a 12 game regular season. This is an issue when comparing records before and after the switch to the 12 game season. Most intelligent, well adjusted individuals, understand the difference however others feel the need to point out the difference at every turn.
Mathematics:
10/11 = .909
8/12 = .667
9/12 = .75
10/12 = .833
11/12 = .917
Proposal Solutions:
Some have suggested that switching to the term "One-Loss Season" might alleviate the discrepancy however that phrase has not garnered much favor. The other solutions, of course, is to refer to winning % however that is a solution only mathematicians could love. Mathematically (see above) a modern day "11-Win Season" is most equivalent to the pre-modern day "10-Win Season". This logically follows because the significance of the phrase is that there was only one loss. Unfortunately, usage being a persistent mistress, it is unlikely to change and those with a brain in their skull will understand the implied asterisk in the comparisons and those who don't will argue incessantly.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Dan Marino was a great QB but his intelligence was very much in doubt..but the boy was a baller.
This is the first time in my life I've heard the intelligence of Dan Marino questioned. If there was a perception of him being a dope, I never saw it anywhere, by anyone.

And by the way, I think Les Miles has one of the worst football IQ's I've ever seen.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
No stress for Les. Kansas is a perennial punching bag that he can turn into a "winner" while he pads his retirement account. Good move for both sides. Les will have marginal success at Kansas and everybody will be happy as a lark

AgingGator

Oct 3, 2018
I love how everyone acts like "10 wins" means something today like it did in the seventies when that phrase was used. After adding 2 extra cupcake games, 10 wins today

10-1 meant something.

10-4 doesnt mean shyt.

10 wins today is 8-4 from the old days.

Your logic is extremely flawed. No one in the SEC added 2 cupcake games when college football went from 11 to 12 regular season games. In the "seventies" as you said SEC teams played 6 conference games and 5 out of conference. UF played FSU and Miami every year, and normally would schedule one decent to good team, and two cupcakes. When the conference added South Carolina and Arkansas it went to a seven game schedule and an eight game conference schedule with the addition of Texas A&M, and Missouri. If an SEC team is playing 13 or 14 games, those extra two are certainly not cupcakes.

To be more specific, during Miles 11 year tenure at LSU he played the National Champion 7 times. He played many excellent/outstanding Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss and Mississippi State, and Arkansas teams over that 11 seasons. To even try to make the case that winning 10 games/year in the SEC West isn't a significant accomplishment is absurd.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
1000 Oxbux. A few more years and Im independently wealthy.
I figured with your knowledge, mental processing ability and savoir faire you had to be a gazillionare by now.......unless you waste too much time here to be out making that money.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Your logic is extremely flawed. No one in the SEC added 2 cupcake games when college football went from 11 to 12 regular season games. In the "seventies" as you said SEC teams played 6 conference games and 5 out of conference. UF played FSU and Miami every year, and normally would schedule one decent to good team, and two cupcakes. When the conference added South Carolina and Arkansas it went to a seven game schedule and an eight game conference schedule with the addition of Texas A&M, and Missouri. If an SEC team is playing 13 or 14 games, those extra two are certainly not cupcakes.

To be more specific, during Miles 11 year tenure at LSU he played the National Champion 7 times. He played many excellent/outstanding Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss and Mississippi State, and Arkansas teams over that 11 seasons. To even try to make the case that winning 10 games/year in the SEC West isn't a significant accomplishment is absurd.
aging hits outa the dammmn PARK...............:exactly:

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
This is the first time in my life I've heard the intelligence of Dan Marino questioned. If there was a perception of him being a dope, I never saw it anywhere, by anyone.

And by the way, I think Les Miles has one of the worst football IQ's I've ever seen.

Marino had one of the lowest Wonderlic test scores in the NFL.

The 10 Worst Wonderlic Scores in NFL History

Dan Marino, a QB whom everyone knows, and has had a hall of fame career, scored a 15 out of 50 on the wonderlic test. Conversely, QB's Ryan Fitzpatrick and Greg McElroy both scored a whopping 48 out of 50, the second highest score ever.

So OX, why do you think Les Miles has such a low Football IQ?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I can name at least 40 other coaches that could have averaged 10 wins a season at LSU during that stretch.

Could and did are very different.

Miles was a wild and wacky run at LSU, which fits them. He did really well. I don’t see him doing much at KU. He’s no Bill Snyder and that’s their highest hope

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Arguing about Les Miles during FSU week..lol. Good stuff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How does one even get a 10-4 record? :dunno:
n/m I suppose, but how often do you play in your conference championship game with a 10-2 record, lose that, then lose the bowl game.

:mac:

I was told Butters went 10*-4 twice.

it is unlikely to change and those with a brain in their skull will understand the implied asterisk in the comparisons and those who don't will argue incessantly.
I thought we are supposed to be arguing incessantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.