conv_4748.gif
    584.6 KB · Views: 17

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some touchdowns, a couple of safeties, a missed extra point and at the end it all comes down to a fair catch followed by a free kick for the win. Hardin comes of the bench to be the hero.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Zambo;n289926 said:
Some touchdowns, a couple of safeties, a missed extra point and at the end it all comes down to a fair catch followed by a free kick for the win. Hardin comes of the bench to be the hero.
WTF?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n289785 said:
One weakness Ole Miss has had has been in the red zone. They have had difficulty punching it in when down close to the goal line. They have lined up in the wildcat fy ormation and when they have brought in Jeremy Liggins, the big 300 pounder to try to run it in, they have been stopped. Just too slow getting back to the line of scrimmage and not enough push from the offensive line.

In the two wins over the two cupcakes, UT-Martin and Fresno State, and the win over Alabama, Ole Miss has been a big play offense. What has meant is that their defense has been on the field a lot and in the Alabama game their defense was "gassed" in the second half. They might try to rotate more players in and out on defense.

They have had a weak running game ever since Freeze has been the head coach. Jaylen Watkins, their go to back, is very quick and can break the long one, but he is a "smurf" and can get snuffed out when trying to go between the tackles. Our defensive line has got to not over pursue or he can run by you. So can Kelly The Ole Miss offensive line has been a weak point and doesn't help them that Laremy Tunsil who is from just up the road in Lake City has been benched due to concerns about an NCAA investigation.

Chad Kelly has a very quick release and is a pretty good runner -- better than what a lot of people think. But if he is pressurized he can crack. Witness his heave pass when he was being tackled against Alabama which could have easily been intercepted and return for a pick 6. Instead Treadwell going up the Alabama receiver tipped the ball and Adeboyjo caught in on the run, and lucky Ole Miss turned it into a 66 yard touchdown highlight reel play. Kelly had a lot of balls batted down by Alabama and Vanderbilt.

Watch the "pop pass" where Kelly will take off running to the outside, stop just before the line of scrimmage, and when the defender commits to stop the run, Kelly will throw a soft pass into a waiting wide open receiver. He burned Alabama on this play. Also our defense needs to watch for the double pass -- the pass to a running back behind the line of scrimmage who will throw down field to another receiver. Treadwell might still be a little tentative from his broken fibula fracture and dislocated ankle injury he suffered in the Auburn game last year. Vernon Hargreaves versus Laquon Treadwell -- it just doesn't get any better than that.

Ole Miss is really good at open field tackling. You won't see a lot of arm tackling or ball stripping. They get their feet set, tackle head on, and wrap up. Ole Miss has been good at putting offenses in third and long. This will not be good for Grier if he is in an obvious passing situation and having to face a strong pass rush. It also means Kelvin Taylor is going to have to step up and get some good solid gains on first and second downs.

i haven't seen it mentioned much that we have Geoff Collins who was the defensive coordinator a Mississippi State. He should know something about Freeze's offense and its tendencies. This can't hurt having Collins on our sideline.
Great breakdown Joe. OM is a great team but they are definitely beatable. I think moreover that Alabama lost that game rather than OM taking it. Everything bounced their way. UF has some things going for them and has an excellent chance in this game. And you're right Hargraves/Treadwell will be an excellent matchup and a huge key to the game.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The key to this game is Mac being able to convince his young team that they can play with Ole Miss. Even when Ole Miss appears to easily score early and maybe often. I think the UT game indicates that his team has the attitude that playing to the end is how you achieve. Now if he can get them to play like that early is the key. I think the flue may cause us some real problems. O Joe's point about Geoff Collins is a good one. The stars have aligned for us to be in this position. I also think KT is a real key. Slow down that pass rush with decent runs and being able to pick up that strong pass rush. I also think Treon may have a huge part in this game. No matter what I think it gives us a realistic look at the quality of our team right now. I think we are two years away from being a top 5 team.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
While checking into Tunsil, I happened across Mel Kiper's "best at the position" list. Oh my. Ole Miss has his top projected players at WR (Treadwell), TE (Engram), OL (Tunsil), DL (Nkemdiche), and S (Conner).

It it really is going to be a challenge. The Gators' DL will need to dominate Ole Miss' interior and win the turnover battle. If they can snag some INTs it will help. And minimal mistakes on offense.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Okeechobee Joe;289785 said:
One weakness Ole Miss has had has been in the red zone. They have had difficulty punching it in when down close to the goal line. They have lined up in the wildcat fy ormation and when they have brought in Jeremy Liggins, the big 300 pounder to try to run it in, they have been stopped. Just too slow getting back to the line of scrimmage and not enough push from the offensive line.

In the two wins over the two cupcakes, UT-Martin and Fresno State, and the win over Alabama, Ole Miss has been a big play offense. What has meant is that their defense has been on the field a lot and in the Alabama game their defense was "gassed" in the second half. They might try to rotate more players in and out on defense.

They have had a weak running game ever since Freeze has been the head coach. Jaylen Watkins, their go to back, is very quick and can break the long one, but he is a "smurf" and can get snuffed out when trying to go between the tackles. Our defensive line has got to not over pursue or he can run by you. So can Kelly The Ole Miss offensive line has been a weak point and doesn't help them that Laremy Tunsil who is from just up the road in Lake City has been benched due to concerns about an NCAA investigation.

Chad Kelly has a very quick release and is a pretty good runner -- better than what a lot of people think. But if he is pressurized he can crack. Witness his heave pass when he was being tackled against Alabama which could have easily been intercepted and return for a pick 6. Instead Treadwell going up the Alabama receiver tipped the ball and Adeboyjo caught in on the run, and lucky Ole Miss turned it into a 66 yard touchdown highlight reel play. Kelly had a lot of balls batted down by Alabama and Vanderbilt.

Watch the "pop pass" where Kelly will take off running to the outside, stop just before the line of scrimmage, and when the defender commits to stop the run, Kelly will throw a soft pass into a waiting wide open receiver. He burned Alabama on this play. Also our defense needs to watch for the double pass -- the pass to a running back behind the line of scrimmage who will throw down field to another receiver. Treadwell might still be a little tentative from his broken fibula fracture and dislocated ankle injury he suffered in the Auburn game last year. Vernon Hargreaves versus Laquon Treadwell -- it just doesn't get any better than that.

Ole Miss is really good at open field tackling. You won't see a lot of arm tackling or ball stripping. They get their feet set, tackle head on, and wrap up. Ole Miss has been good at putting offenses in third and long. This will not be good for Grier if he is in an obvious passing situation and having to face a strong pass rush. It also means Kelvin Taylor is going to have to step up and get some good solid gains on first and second downs.

i haven't seen it mentioned much that we have Geoff Collins who was the defensive coordinator a Mississippi State. He should know something about Freeze's offense and its tendencies. This can't hurt having Collins on our sideline.

Well put OJ. You didn't make a prediction. I think we have a good
shot at a win. We are in game five with the new Mac offense. I think
there will be improvement in blocking assignments. I hope we see
more of Scarlett & Conkrite today. I think one of them could have
a breakout day. I don't think KT is our best RB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We really need the crowd to shake that QB. He is the kind of kid who can get rattled. He wasn't afraid of pompom shakers in Tuscaloosa but he's never heard anything like the Swamp when it's rocking.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure the Swamp will be juiced up and electric tonight. We'll need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.