Looking at the roster

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The where is the beef problem is evident. Excluding freshmen and walkon LBs, we have exactly 2 DT/DL over 300 lbs and two LBs over 230.

Bammer has 5 DT (new low for them, I think they had 10 last year but they have a slew of young 290s types) and 9 LBs.

Meatchicken also has only 2 DL (and few DL total) and eight 230+ LBs. They are going to struggle against the 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses in the the Big 10(12).

Last year it was the Arky and Bammer games in which we knew our DL would get ragdolled. More of the same his year it seems. The freshmen have to play and right damn now. Hope you are ready boys.

Pumpers, fire up the "they just got tired or were injured" excuses.

Last edited:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The where is the beef problem is evident. Excluding freshmen and walkon LBs, we have exactly 2 DT/DL over 300 lbs
last I checked, there are 4 DL over 3 bills, with 2 more over 290.

Are you only talking non true freshmen?

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
The where is the beef problem is evident. Excluding freshmen and walkon LBs, we have exactly 2 DT/DL over 300 lbs and two LBs over 230.

Bammer has 5 DT (new low for them, I think they had 10 last year but they have a slew of young 290s types) and 9 LBs.

Meatchicken also has only 2 DL (and few DL total) and eight 230+ LBs. They are going to struggle against the 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses in the the Big 10(12).

Last year it was the Arky and Bammer games in which we knew our DL would get ragdolled. More of the same his year it seems. The freshmen have to play and right damn now. Hope you are ready boys.

It is a cause for concern, but to be fair, I dont think the roster has been updated fully yet for fall which should include new heights and weights. The roster online is old i believe.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
The newest official roster Florida released includes new players and numbers, but did not update weights. I wish they would release that information as well.

Hopefully, the freshmen are ready to play.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Camp-Preview-DT-Newcomers-must-emerge-quickly-105605256..

Defensive Tackle
Overview: Florida appears to be very deep at defensive end, but there are much more significant questions at tackle. For one, Caleb Brantley and Joey Ivie might have been the two most productive players on the unit a year ago. They're gone, and while Khairi Clark and Taven Bryan have a lot of meaningful experience, they haven't quite played to that level to date. The depth is the bigger concern, though. There's very little experience behind those two.

Projected End of Camp Depth Chart:

Three-Technique
Taven Bryan, RJR
Jachai Polite, SO
Elijah Conliffe, FR
Richerd Desir-Jones, RSO

Nose
Khairi Clark, RJR
Kyree Campbell, FR
Tedarrell Slaton, FR
Luke Ancrum, RSO

Strengths: Blend of Size

The Gators have some prototypical nose tackles in Clark, Campbell and Slaton, while guys like Bryan, Polite and Conliffe are all capable of being good interior pass-rushers from the three-technique spot. That combination of different bodies should allow Florida some creativity up front, particularly if a guy like Polite plays a little bit inside and outside, as expected.

Weaknesses: Experienced Depth, Initial Burst

There's no obvious replacement for Brantley in terms of sheer burst off the ball. That's something Florida has had for the past several years, with guys like Dominique Easley and Jonathan Bullard also lightning-quick off the snap. Bryan and Polite are the closest, but they're not quite on that level just yet. And until the guys playing behind Bryan and Clark get more reps, the depth will remain a big concern if there are injuries.

What Needs To Happen: Florida needs to find two guys past Bryan and Clark that can play right away, then start getting them the majority of the reps as the backups right away. The evaluation process can't take too long there, because every rep is key. Campbell, Polite, Slaton and Conliffe should be the primary guys to keep an eye on.

What We Expect: This position will likely be good but not great for Florida in 2017. It's pretty rare for freshmen to make a major impact on the interior of the defensive line in the SEC, so while those guys could help shore up the depth chart, they likely aren't difference-makers right away. We've seen enough of Clark and Bryan that it's unlikely either is a breakout player. Bryan has the tools, but we've heard the last few years he's ready to have a monster season. At this point, we need to see it first.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Camp-Preview-DE-UF-loaded-with-possible-stars-105579277

Defensive End
Overview: If you're looking for a position that might not have any elite playmakers right now but is almost a sure bet to have one emerge in 2017, look no further than defensive end. This position has a plethora of young and talented athletes who could make the breakthrough this fall. If nothing else, it will be a deep and competent group.

Projected End of Camp Depth Chart:

Strong Side
Jabari Zuniga, RSO
Jordan Sherit, RSR
Zachary Carter, FR

Weak Side
CeCe Jefferson, JR
Keivonnis Davis, JR
Antonneous Clayton, SO
Jordan Smith, RFR

Strengths: Athleticism, Speed Off Edge

Florida has a bevvy of pure athletes at defensive end, as almost all of them can get off the edge and turn the corner quickly. Between Jefferson, Davis, Clayton and Smith, the Gators should have no trouble finding someone who can bend the edge and force quarterbacks to step up into the pocket. This group has a handful of players with that ability.

Weaknesses: Size

Though there are a couple players who you'd describe more as "power" rushers than speed rushers (see: Zuniga, Sherit, Carter), none are really pushing the upper end of the spectrum you typically see in terms of size at defensive end. One of the chief concerns with the defensive end group as a whole is whether the Gators can find enough players who can effectively set the edge. Sherit is very good at it, and Zuniga certainly has the ability but must show more consistency. The others all need to prove themselves there.

What Needs To Happen: Jefferson needs to have a breakout season. He's one of the best athletes on the roster and now that he should be focusing more on strictly end, he could emerge as the elite guy the Gators are looking for. The rest of the supporting cast just needs to continue learning how to be patient in their rush and make sure they aren't leaving their assignments and exposing the young linebackers behind them.

What We Expect: Depending on how healthy Sherit is and how ready he is this fall, expect the key contributors to be him, Zuniga, Jefferson, Davis and Clayton. That gives the Gators a solid five-man rotation with some versatility. Clayton will likely be freed up to move around and rush the quarterback on passing downs. He could be the X-factor if he develops as expected.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is what happens when you don't recruit a DT until your third recruiting class. Needing freshmen to play right away at that position is a little frightening.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
This recruiting cycle is not a good one for DTs in Florida. 247Sports only lists 3 DTs from Florida in the top 30 at the position. To make it worse, 2 of those 3 are at IMG and all of them are already committed (Ohio State, Miami, Georgia Tech).

Rick Sandidge (6'5" 288) is the top DT on our board, but he is a South Carolina kid and is expected to sign with Muschamp.

Dante Stills (6'4" 265) is probably #2 on the DT board. He is from West Virginia, has a brother that currently plays at West Virginia and his father played at West Virginia. In addition, he chose not to visit UF before the August dead period and he says he will commit before the season starts. Looks like he is definitely going to commit to the Mountaineers.

We look to be in good shape with 4* DT Nesta Silvera (6'2" 308). If we land Schwartz and Chatfield (both high school team mates of Silvera) then I think we definitely get Silvera as well. Silvera is currently listed as the #19 DT and #218 overall by 247Sports, but a lot of people are predicting he will move up the rankings quite a bit before signing day.

4* Coynis Miller (6'1" 300) is an Alabama kid and Saban wants him. However, Miller skipped Saban's Champion's Cookout and spent 3 days at FNL instead. It looks like we have an outside shot at landing Miller. 247Sports has Miller rated the #16 DT and the #167 overall player.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yet ANOTHER sad Troll, Hater, and Complainer thread. I swear, you Trolls would complain about winning $2 Million dollars

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

You have some points...but you need to step away from the edge. You're looking at last year's roster and many of our redshirt freshman & sophomores will have added significant weight.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I think our only hope this year is a guy like Polite reaching his weight goal. That will provide a backup that can play at a decent level at DT. He'll still be undersized against the bamas, but he'll be fine againt most other teams. I just don't expect much from freshman DTs.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

I hate to say it but is spot on. I posted the other day about the amount of quality looking 4 star kids left on the Rivals 250 from both sides of the LOS....We're not out of the woods on the offensive line either BTW. The coaches need to make it a priority to get out there this cycle and grab 8 or 9 more D1 caliber LOS players(280# & up) and start building them into the foundation of 2019 and beyond....For recruiting purposes on the LOS you should be recruiting today for what you need 2 to 3 years down the line....Enough of this patchwork, grad transfer, use Juco BS....Get busy Butters.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This recruiting cycle is not a good one for DTs in Florida. 247Sports only lists 3 DTs from Florida in the top 30 at the position. To make it worse, 2 of those 3 are at IMG and all of them are already committed (Ohio State, Miami, Georgia Tech).

Rick Sandidge (6'5" 288) is the top DT on our board, but he is a South Carolina kid and is expected to sign with Muschamp.

Dante Stills (6'4" 265) is probably #2 on the DT board. He is from West Virginia, has a brother that currently plays at West Virginia and his father played at West Virginia. In addition, he chose not to visit UF before the August dead period and he says he will commit before the season starts. Looks like he is definitely going to commit to the Mountaineers.

We look to be in good shape with 4* DT Nesta Silvera (6'2" 308). If we land Schwartz and Chatfield (both high school team mates of Silvera) then I think we definitely get Silvera as well. Silvera is currently listed as the #19 DT and #218 overall by 247Sports, but a lot of people are predicting he will move up the rankings quite a bit before signing day.

4* Coynis Miller (6'1" 300) is an Alabama kid and Saban wants him. However, Miller skipped Saban's Champion's Cookout and spent 3 days at FNL instead. It looks like we have an outside shot at landing Miller. 247Sports has Miller rated the #16 DT and the #167 overall player.
Don't forget about the misouri kid who was asking if we're still interested. He was one of the top DT's in the country. But I'm not worried about rankings at DT. I think lack of highly ranked DT's is a poor excuse to not atleast build some depth. Even if we have to reach on some guys.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Don't forget about the misouri kid who was asking if we're still interested. He was one of the top DT's in the country. But I'm not worried about rankings at DT. I think lack of highly ranked DT's is a poor excuse to not atleast build some depth. Even if we have to reach on some guys.
Exactly. DT, especially in the SEC where LOS determines games, is one of the top three position groups imo from a roster/recruiting standpoint yearly. Whoever controls the LOS imo has the best chance to win games. And to your point about DT rankings, sure getting higher ranked guys would be best case scenario, but there's a reason DT are hard to come by in recruiting .... there simply arent alot of them to choose from compared to other positions ala WR. That makes it even more important to take at least one every year (even if they are reaches) just to build depth and properly manage the roster because its one of the positions a team cant afford to be thin at and hope to win in the SEC. I will say, everything I've seen so far from Coach Mac indicates he knows how important depth is and he is actively trying to get our numbers right at every position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator