Looking at the roster

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
. I will say, everything I've seen so far from Coach Mac indicates he knows how important depth is and he is actively trying to get our numbers right at every position.
Then why the eff is our d tackle spot so shcitty right now?

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Then why the eff is our d tackle spot so shcitty right now?
We've had some bad breaks imo. In the 2015 recruiting class we had joey ivies little brother recruited at DT, but after some time on campus he suffered a career ending injury ( if i remember that correctly). Then in 2016, we had Shavar Manuel from IMG committed and he flipped to FSU late leaving us in a tough situation but we were able to land polite who could play DE and DT but wasnt a true DT. (although im curious to see if he has gotten bigger when/if the new roster is updated/released). Im not excusing not having backup plans but there was some bad luck there and it is what it is. However, I think we've realized how important it is moving forward and arent going to let that position fall behind anymore. It hasn't been perfect, but I think the belief is in place that we wont allow the DT to play second fiddle anymore and im hoping they emphasize that position yearly as shown with signing 3 last year to get us back on pace.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We've had some bad breaks imo. In the 2015 recruiting class we had joey ivies little brother recruited at DT, but after some time on campus he suffered a career ending injury ( if i remember that correctly). Then in 2016, we had Shavar Manuel from IMG committed and he flipped to FSU late leaving us in a tough situation but we were able to land polite who could play DE and DT but wasnt a true DT. (although im curious to see if he has gotten bigger when/if the new roster is updated/released). Im not excusing not having backup plans but there was some bad luck there and it is what it is. However, I think we've realized how important it is moving forward and arent going to let that position fall behind anymore. It hasn't been perfect, but I think the belief is in place that we wont allow the DT to play second fiddle anymore and im hoping they emphasize that position yearly as shown with signing 3 last year to get us back on pace.
I feel better now knowing that we tried to sign 2 but one was crippled and one was retarded.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We need to land two DTs per year PERIOD. Those guys spend a lot of time getting smashed by 300 lb OL and get hurt alot. Moreover, a 3 tech DT can easily play SDE, especially on running downs which is every down for most SEC teams. Conliffe gets included in our lists of DT, and he will likely play there out of necessity, but he is really a DE and is listed as such on our roster. Our recruiting has been so terrible that essentially that any DE over 240 lbs, which by the way 240-250 pounds isn't large enough to play DE even except on third and long, gets moved to tackle.

It is fvkking retarded and is the direct reason why we keep giving up these games of 400 yards of offense and make every other running back look like Hershel Walker. On running downs, we should have three 300 lb linemen and one 265-270 pounder at weak DE on the field if we hope to compete in the SEC.

I don't know why we continue to field the DL of a MAC or Sunbelt team.

Last edited:

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Over the years, when you look at the rosters in the years we won the SEC championship, we were LOADED with talent. During the Meyer years it was literally an embarrassment of riches. We just didn't see the gaps in talent we are seeing in our roster these days. We have a long way to go.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If there is a less talented UF team since 1980, I don't know which team it would be.

This year and next year we will really feel the effects of Butter's first three classes.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We need to land two DTs per year PERIOD. Those guys spend a lot of time getting smashed by 300 lb OL and get hurt alot. Moreover, a 3 tech DT can easily play SDE, especially on running downs which is every down for most SEC teams. Conliffe gets included in our lists of DT, and he will likely play there out of necessity, but he is really a DE and is listed as such on our roster. Our recruiting has been so terrible that essentially that any DE over 240 lbs, which by the way 240-250 pounds isn't large enough to play DE even except on third and long, gets moved to tackle.

It is fvkking retarded and is the direct reason why we keep giving up these games of 400 yards of offense and make every other running back look like Hershel Walker. On running downs, we should have three 300 lb linemen and one 265-270 pounder at weak DE on the field if we hope to compete in the SEC.

I don't know why we continue to field the DL of a MAC or Sunbelt team.

Agree w/ this Law...especially the part about also being able to play SDE. Another issue w/ players, they won't all pan out....some get injured, some aren't SEC ready, some take time to add weight, etc.

For this year though, I'm still waiting to see what they do w/ Riles (DL or OL?).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
2014 and 2015 recruiting...

The 2016 class also. In Mac's first 2 recruiting classes there was only one true DT I think and he is no longer with the team.

Hopefully we can hold up when Michigan tries to establish a power running game against us. The biggest question will be depth later in the season however.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
For this year though, I'm still waiting to see what they do w/ Riles (DL or OL?).
If things weren't so bad around here they should have given him the "look son" talk long ago.....:lol:
I see people saying we need to take 1,2, or 3 DT's every year and I laugh...Four or five should be the number that we shoot for on BOTH offensive G/T and DT's every year. Out of every 5 linemen recruits 1 or 2 are so dumb they don't qualify, another 1 or 2 gets arrested/ kicked off, another 1 is so overweight/ underweight or injury prone they quit or never play so in reality 1 or 2 out of 5 ever pan out.... We need to be bringing in 8 to 10 LOS players every single year

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If things weren't so bad around here they should have given him the "look son" talk long ago.....:lol:
I see people saying we need to take 1,2, or 3 DT's every year and I laugh...Four or five should be the number that we shoot for on BOTH offensive G/T and DT's every year. Out of every 5 linemen recruits 1 or 2 are so dumb they don't qualify, another 1 or 2 gets arrested/ kicked off, another 1 is so overweight/ underweight or injury prone they quit or never play so in reality 1 or 2 out of 5 ever pan out.... We need to be bringing in 8 to 10 LOS players every single year

I've been saying for a while 10-12 down linemen a year. :highfive:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I've been saying for a while 10-12 down linemen a year. :highfive:
You almost have to to build any kind of quality depth at the college level at least in any of the power 5 conferences. We've had a few pretty good linemen over the last 5 or 6 years....just not nearly enough serviceable ones to form a rotation or cover for injuries...

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
You almost have to to build any kind of quality depth at the college level at least in any of the power 5 conferences. We've had a few pretty good linemen over the last 5 or 6 years....just not nearly enough serviceable ones to form a rotation or cover for injuries...
Exactly, We had Floyd and Easley and then Bullard etc who were good, but we didnt have enough depth to rotate guys in which meant those starters had to play longer and got tired which hurt their production. Also, bullard and easley should have been DE instead of having to play inside as they seemed to be more tweener types. Then when an injury hits the problem becomes even worse. When people are curious as to why Saban has had so much success, the answer is pretty simple, an emphasis on both sides of the LOS.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Have we heard anything about him? Is he back from the injury?

He could really be a pivotal part of our season with our ongoing problems at RG and our disaster at DT. Maybe he will play both ways. :grin:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For the love of God man haven't you seen enough.....
Uhhh... he was atrocious as a freshman,no doubt. and I was all over him. But he didn't look that bad last year. I wonder if he's not better than Fred.

I'm fairly sure he's going to be better at defensive tackle than a freshman.

he had zero business starting as a freshman. Most do not. That wasn't his fault that we had no one better because the previous moron recruited nothing but defensive backs, just like the current more on recruits wide receivers and defensive backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator