Louis Murphy Arrested in Airport for Carrying a loaded Glock in a backpack

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just renewed my CWP license and what is considered a federally protected area and whats not was covered in nauseum, you're ok before security so long as you are not brandishing

Concealed carry law says airports are prohibited in FL not just the sterile area.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I have had a CWP since 1987 and I am a gun shop owner as well as an NRA certified instructor. I have heard many translations of the law on this issue. Personally, I will likely refrain until the new legislation is passed.

While this is older, I have yet to see anything updating it.
https://www.floridacarry.org/issues...in-44-states-but-florida-will-put-you-in-jail

Im totally with you, if there is a grey line, stay on the right side of it. I don't find myself needing to strapped sitting at chilis for grandma to land any how

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Im totally with you, if there is a grey line, stay on the right side of it. I don't find myself needing to strapped sitting at chilis for grandma to land any how

I find the need to carry in every single place I set foot in. I wont break any federal or state laws to do it.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not to beat a dead horse, but this is from 2016 statutes, check out 18, I think this changed based on the 2011 article but not sure when

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.001.html

(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
-----------------------------------------------------

It has to be encased at an airport in FL even to check it in.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I am very aware at all times of what weapons may be in my vehicle, bags or on my person.. There are a lot of places that my job takes me where I am not allowed to carry despite my CWP. It's important to me that I follow the laws governing the possession of weapons. Having said that, it's much easier to accidentally carry a weapon into an airport than most people realize. Even law enforcement is aware that it is usually an accident. My friends that are officers say no one freaks out when they find a weapon in a carryon.

Some people travel by vehicle a lot and place a weapon in their bag for protection. Then one day your plans change to flying and it's early in the morning, you are tired and in a hurry and you forget that you have a weapon at the bottom of that bag. It happens. In that case the weapon is not actually a threat to anyone. There is no intent or desire to harm. The media and the non-owning public make a bigger deal out of the event than it deserves.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Buddy's Dad works for TSA and they average a weapon a day, most people simply forget they stuffed it in a backpack years ago and are now using that as their carryon.

To the point of gun ownership, in Florida, you do NOT need a concealed weapons permit to carry a gun so long as its in a shut case or zipped bag, same goes for inside a glove compartment in your car. If you have your CWP, you are allowed to carry your weapon anywhere in the airport before screening.

Everyone always said that there was something like a '3 movement' rule, so glove compartment was no good, but trunk was ok. Apparently that's BS. Didn't matter if you have a CWP anyway.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone always said that there was something like a '3 movement' rule, so glove compartment was no good, but trunk was ok. Apparently that's BS. Didn't matter if you have a CWP anyway.

That was a myth about a number of movements rule. The law is wrote kind of vague and its case law that mostly controls on that I think. I know some people who don't have a license that actually carry the case law ruling around with them because cops are even bad for making faulty arrests on it sometimes.

This is what Wiki says on it and I think that is about right. If you have it in a snapped holster I think it should be out of view also like under a seat to avoid issues. I can't remember the ruling on a case like that but people have issues with cops it seems if the thing is right there where they could use it without opening a glove box etc.

• Handguns – must be either "securely encased" -F.S.S.790.25(3)(l) Some cite this as a grey area or risky- or not immediately available for use.[20] "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.[21] Carry of a Handgun on one's person inside a vehicle without a license is not permitted (except in the case of open carry in accordance with the law outlined above). Once a handgun is securely encased, it can be stored anywhere inside the vehicle and is not limited to just the glove compartment/center console.
  • Long Guns – a legal firearm other than a handgun may be anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.[22]

Last edited:

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Actually one CAN open carry in Florida.... When go to or returning from lawful hunting or fishing. But I'm not one to push the issue, If it's carried openly everyone knows who has a gun, Especially the bad guys..... Concealed they have to guess a bit :)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have had a CWP since 1987 and I am a gun shop owner as well as an NRA certified instructor. I have heard many translations of the law on this issue. Personally, I will likely refrain until the new legislation is passed.

While this is older, I have yet to see anything updating it.
https://www.floridacarry.org/issues...in-44-states-but-florida-will-put-you-in-jail

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article60636676.html

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/227947-guns-airports

My new favorite poster!!! I'm an NRA Life Member (Endowment level). I have a gun range on my mountain property (in western Virginia) and many of my CG buddies shoot out there (a few are weapons instructors).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I could see it being hard to get a jury to convict in a case like his.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
My new favorite poster!!! I'm an NRA Life Member (Endowment level). I have a gun range on my mountain property (in western Virginia) and many of my CG buddies shoot out there (a few are weapons instructors).

I too am a NRA life member and endowment member as well as a 4 time golden eagle and a GOA (Guns of America) member as well and I am also an Oath Keepers member and a National gun rights member. I also have a small range on my property. Oh and I own alot of guns.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I too am a NRA life member and endowment member as well as a 4 time golden eagle and a GOA (Guns of America) member as well and I am also an Oath Keepers member and a National gun rights member. I also have a small range on my property. Oh and I own alot of guns.

I'm thinking about joining GOA, but I might just up my NRA level to Patron. Good for you! I own a handful, I wouldn't say "a lot". I just got a new concealed carry S&W M&P Shield that I haven't shot yet.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I'm thinking about joining GOA, but I might just up my NRA level to Patron. Good for you! I own a handful, I wouldn't say "a lot". I just got a new concealed carry S&W M&P Shield that I haven't shot yet.

Im a 1911 guy mainly. I own 20 variants of them. Thats not to say I dont like plastic guns, I have my share of those too.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Just got my M&P at the Dulles Expo Gun show a couple of weeks ago.
Still haven't found the time yet to shoot it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.