LSU - Tom Petty Hype Video

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If this can’t get you excited about this game then nothing will.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
This video gave me chills. I must have watched it 10 times last night. Our social media team is amazing.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And if you get chit faced slobbering drunk remember Tom Pettys immortal words
We Won’t Fall Down

He also said something about blind squirrels getting lucky.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Law used to trash him as a drug addled hippie. Undeserving as our signature rock musician. I dont miss that part of his rants......

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Is it a hype video for fans? Do the players actually see these?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Law used to trash him as a drug addled hippie. Undeserving as our signature rock musician. I dont miss that part of his rants......
And he still does. I recently saw him knocking TP in Twitter.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Time to end the Petty ****, and I like Petty's music. Sing We Are The Boys (which will eventually be banned for the term boys) and move on.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Petty's family goes along with "Tom Petty Day" at UF, and the song being played and all that, because they get money out of it. Tom Petty himself probably would not have embraced it too enthusiastically, if he even allowed it at all.

As you probably know, Petty's attitude growing up in Gainesville was more resentful than respectful of the university and the "elite" college students who made fun of hippy pothead musicians like him.

Now he is having the last laugh, every time those snobby Gators sing his song and then end up losing the game. Which has happened too many times at this point. Often because we did the opposite of what the song said, and "backed down" when we needed to make a play.

Hopefully this new "tradition," and the era of losing that it has become associated with, will end after this year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Petty's family goes along with "Tom Petty Day" at UF, and the song being played and all that, because they get money out of it. Tom Petty himself probably would not have embraced it too enthusiastically, if he even allowed it at all.

As you probably know, Petty's attitude growing up in Gainesville was more resentful than respectful of the university and the "elite" college students who made fun of hippy pothead musicians like him.

Now he is having the last laugh, every time those snobby Gators sing his song and then end up losing the game. Which has happened too many times at this point. Often because we did the opposite of what the song said, and "backed down" when we needed to make a play.

Hopefully this new "tradition," and the era of losing that it has become associated with, will end after this year.
Stfu

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

My understanding is that Petty resented Gainesville and avoided a return for years due to the residual effects of an abusive alcoholic father that routinely beat Tom and his mother.
He avoided Gainesville like the plague until after his father passed.
Every interview I have ever read or heard from Petty was very positive regarding UF due to his appreciation for their liberal policies and approach. In fact, he perceived UF as a positive part of Gainesville.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

This times 1000. We Are The Boys is the tradition being squashed out completely here.

And the program has been a complete cluster**** since the Petty thing started.

Free Fallin’ would be a heckuva lot more appropriate.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wait wait wait… they don’t sing We Are The Boys anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.