LSU - Tom Petty Hype Video

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
We do, but it’s completely overshadowed now.
You say that like the people singing it would be able to do so if the words were not on the screen.

The 2 songs get the reaction they get because the people singing them have their preference. If you think "We Are The Boys..." is overshadowed then have that discussion with people sitting in your section.

IMO, it is NOT overshadowed but it is sung with less fervor than the Petty song enjoys.

And the Alma Mater song, sung with the band and players after the game, gets even less participation and fervor.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
The worst “tradition” ever. They need to drop it yesterday. It’s the kind of song someone that is an underdog would sing. It’s stupid as fuchs

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not opposed to it when it came about initially. It was a cool tribute to the man.
But it's run it's course and it's too damn slow.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We do, but it’s completely overshadowed now.

This. The moment used to be about unity and being a Gator. It was actually intimidating even. Shuler mentioned it after the ‘91 game. Now it’s a bad combination of goatees in cargo pants and their wrist tatted wives in mom jeans swaying and being a total embarrassment, while the main screen shows players doing air guitar, down 21 points. But worst of all is that it’s contrived at this point. The first time, sure. And if it had worked, and we kept doing it, fine. But we didn’t. We lost that night. Then we lost the next week(in alligator skin unis that haven’t been worn again for the same reason we shouldn’t keep this garbage). We ended the year being pulverized by fsu, singing it once again. Then Uk the next year, followed by Mizzou, then Lsu, Alabama, Uk again, and Lsu again. Probably missing somebody, but you get the idea. Songs, jersey combos, chants etc all have become what they are because of success. It’s moronic to cling to something that has literally been correlated with being a .500 team, and it was the one thing I hoped Napier would kill to put his own vibe on things. Instead he can’t even figure out basic math or tell time, so that’s a lost cause. Anyway, the suggestion of him being our Butch Jones seems dead on. Lots of cool videos, no substance, ability or even willingness to back them up. Bottom line, if we’re just intent on playing a song by a drugged out person who’s no longer with us, all while preparing to give up 10 yards a clip, my vote would be reaching out to Courtney(or Dave, can’t remember) and seeing if Rape Me is available.

In the meantime, as long as we insist on this stupidity, and playing garbage rap that contains lyrics like ”boom, one to the head, now I know he dead” from Lil Wayne or “suck my ****” by DMX(hey he was a crack head and is dead too, maybe we should call his reps for a tribute), with children in attendance, we’ll be a laughing stock that will continue to decline.

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This. The moment used to be about unity and being a Gator. It was actually intimidating even. Shuler mentioned it after the ‘91 game. Now it’s a bad combination of goatees in cargo pants and their wrist tatted wives in mom jeans swaying and being a total embarrassment, while the main screen shows players doing air guitar, down 21 points. But worst of all is that it’s contrived at this point. The first time, sure. And if it had worked, and we kept doing it, fine. But we didn’t. We lost that night. Then we lost the next week(in alligator skin unis that haven’t been worn again for the same reason we shouldn’t keep this garbage). We ended the year being pulverized by fsu, singing it once again. Then Uk the next year, followed by Mizzou, then Lsu, Alabama, Uk again, and Lsu again. Probably missing somebody, but you get the idea. Songs, jersey combos, chants etc all have become what they are because of success. It’s moronic to cling to something that has literally been correlated with being a .500 team, and it was the one thing I hoped Napier would kill to put his own vibe on things. Instead he can’t even figure out basic math or tell time, so that’s a lost cause. Anyway, the suggestion of him being out Butch Jones seems dead in. Lots of cool videos, no substance, ability or even willingness to back them up. Bottom line, if we’re just intent on playing a song by a drugged out person who’s no longer with us, all while preparing to give up 10 yards a clip, my vote would be reaching out to Courtney(or Dave, can’t remember) and seeing if Rape Me is available.

In the meantime, as long as we insist on this stupidity, and playing garbage rap that contains lyrics like ”boom, one to the head, now I know he dead” from Lil Wayne or “suck my ****” by DMX(hey he was a crack head and is dead too, maybe we should call his reps for a tribute), with children in attendance, we’ll be a laughing stock that will continue to decline.
Who TF wears cargo pants and/or Mom jeans to the Swamp. JFC what has happened there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.