Mac Will Be Here Till End of 2018 IMO

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Breaking down the deals of the contract and mishaps from Fooley; it all comes down to whether we want to win or save money.

We still owe champ about four million at the end of next season.. Mac's buyout would add another seven million. That's 11 million before looking at a new coach and staff.

Add in assistant coach payouts and then hiring a new coach plus staff we are looking at almost 20 million...

That's not counting the large buyout we elected to play for this failure of a coach. Foley really dicked us on our future.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Breaking down the deals of the contract and mishaps from Fooley; it all comes down to whether we want to win or save money.

We still owe champ about four million at the end of next season.. Mac's buyout would add another seven million. That's 11 million before looking at a new coach and staff.

Add in assistant coach payouts and then hiring a new coach plus staff we are looking at almost 20 million...

That's not counting the large buyout we elected to play for this failure of a coach. Foley really dicked us on our future.
Can always back load the contract like they do in baseball. Give the new guy 1 or 2 million for the first 2 years of a contract and bump it up to 4 or 5 million in years 3-5.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Can always back load the contract like they do in baseball. Give the new guy 1 or 2 million for the first 2 years of a contract and bump it up to 4 or 5 million in years 3-5.
If we want a scrub. I'm over scrubs.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Imo if he loses 4 games this season and gets walloped against Michigan (who will be replacing more starters than us) with his players the noise will be so loud he wont survive after the 2017 season.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Imo if he loses 4 games this season and gets walloped against Michigan (who will be replacing more starters than us) with his players the noise will be so loud he wont survive after the 2017 season.

I think five losses including bowl game is the most likely scenario this year.

I think four to six losses is likely next year but the AD still has to answer to higher ups.. Florida has the propensity to be cheap. Could derail any chance at getting a better coach next year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I think four to six losses is likely next year but the AD still has to answer to higher ups.. Florida has the propensity to be cheap. Could derail any chance at getting a better coach next year.

Hopefully the big boosters make some noise and are willing to put some money behind it.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Delaying what must be done eventually just compounds the problem and costs even more money in the long run from lost attendance, prestige and donations.

Eat your mistakes and get growing.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Season ticket holders turning in their tickets as we speak. I don't think we win another game this season. NOTHING that we have seen from this coaching staff or team would lead you to believe or think otherwise. We make ZERO adjustments at any point in any game

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Like I said in another thread, hiring Mac was foley's final eff you to the fan base

g8torfan

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
With a performance based buy out it would certainly give the next coach incentive to not suck!

g8torfan

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
Never thought I would say this but CJM is actually making me miss Ron Zook!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
With a performance based buy out it would certainly give the next coach incentive to not suck!

I didn't respond to the other thread where you made this suggestion. Sure, it sounds great. But why do you think these coaches have these big buyouts? Because they have the leverage when they are being courted by other schools who want to hire them. South Carolina probably could have hired Will Muschamp for $1 more than he was making at Auburn because NO ONE wanted him (that's still a head scratcher). Other than an assistant taking over as head coach (like Odom at Missouri) there isn't a market for the school to add in an "performance based" buyout. These things all favor the coach. Basically: we're screwed! No top coach is going to come here and sign a contract that has a clause that says, "If you don't win X number of games we can fire you".

Unless the starting QB and OL next year is at an SEC level we lose at least 6 games next year. We'll have a green/young defense and ANY game on our schedule is a potential loss (see Georgia Southern under Muschamp and the near loss to FAU under Butters). UGA will be improved w/ an NFL QB, Kentucky will be on the road and they'll be licking their chops to end that losing streak, Vandy has a defense (and we don't have an offense), Missouri will probably improve, etc, etc. Basically, this year's UF team is currently better than what next year's UF team will likely be. AND.....Jim McElwain will still be our football coach. The future of UF football is bleak, at best.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
My intense Internet search reveals that the deal with Muschamp was to pay him $6.3M over three years. So $2.1M 2015, 2016, 2017.
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/07/details_of_will_muschamps_51_m.html
"Florida owes the former head coach $6.3 million in equal payments over the next three years"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ida-gators-football-contract-buyout/31159023/
McElwain's contract -- which Florida provided to USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday in response to an open-records request -- is for six years and could be worth more than $3.5 million per year. If McElwain is fired without cause, he will be owed $2.25 million for each year left on the deal, plus a prorated amount for any partial year remaining.

The breakdown.
2017 Chump $2.1M Mac $2.25M = $4.35M
2018 Mac $2.25M
2019 Mac $2.25M
2020 Mac $2.25M
So yeah that's about $12M plus assistants. Then of course the cost of moving in new coaches which usually ain't cheap. So like you say about $20M to clean up Foley's Fiasco.

If Mac gets fired and takes a job in the SEC we owe him nothing (The Muschamp clause).

Just do it!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Basically, this year's UF team is currently better than what next year's UF team will likely be. AND.....Jim McElwain will still be our football coach. The future of UF football is bleak, at best.
Unreal and at the same time very real. I will say that you were right about our offense against Arky....how I thought we would be able to score 30 points against the 110th ranked defense is beyond me...I guess I didn't factor in MAC/Nuss and their ability to do absolutely nothing except watch a less than average team stop us in our tracks for the better part of 3 hours....The future is less than bleak.

g8torfan

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
I didn't respond to the other thread where you made this suggestion. Sure, it sounds great. But why do you think these coaches have these big buyouts? Because they have the leverage when they are being courted by other schools who want to hire them.
You're probably right but I can't imagine a bunch of schools were wooing Mac, maybe I'm wrong and HC at CSU for 3 years isn't what I would consider comparable to being a HC at a major SEC school. Yes he did a great job at Bama as an OC but there have been a lot of OC/DC who became head coaches and sucked as a HC, Charlie Strong is one that comes to mind immediately so unless you're hiring a Les Miles type I can't imagine UF doesn't have any leverage. It also seems like picking a coach is really a crap shoot, even a good coach that wins 9-10 games a year but can't win the big one doesn't work (Richt). Stoops won a NC his second year in Norman and hasn't won another in 15 years. Even hiring Steve was a gamble, I wouldn't consider Duke a national powerhouse. The only coach I can imagine lately that had the ability to name his price is Urban and I think Les could do the same but these guys getting their first shot at a school that should be a contender every year should not have all the leverage IMHO. Tenn is getting sick of it and UGA won't be long behind Smart if he doesn't produce quickly either.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's a solution here. Schedule some big time neutral site games like the Michigan game. Those are worth about 5mil. Not to mention the extra exposure.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Never thought I would say this but CJM is actually making me miss Ron Zook!
At this point, I'd cut my left nut off to have Zook back. At least the cupboard would be stocked for the next guy. As it stands now, we're gonna be in "brick by brick" mode which is something like a 10-20 year rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.