Major Wright cut - Trey Burton makes Eagles

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not surprised they re-signed Wright.. probably need to restructure his contract. Burton defintely was versitile, but I agree that he wasn't great. I don't think he starts for us this year with the talent we have. He often ran the wrong routes and had a huge fumble in the Miami game. He ran a wrong route on the second INT... basically causing the INT in the Miami game also. I think I remember hearing he also ran the wrong route on the pick 6 against UT last year.

He did good things, but in my mind for a senior he made too many mistakes. Maybe it was coaching on offense... who knows, but good for him for making a roster. Never easy to make the cut.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully he's more successfull running the wildcat for the Eagles than he was for us.

With a guy like Burton, the wildcat can be more successfull in the NFL because they're not ready for it.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n40896 said:
Not surprised they re-signed Wright.. probably need to restructure his contract. Burton defintely was versitile, but I agree that he wasn't great. I don't think he starts for us this year with the talent we have. He often ran the wrong routes and had a huge fumble in the Miami game. He ran a wrong route on the second INT... basically causing the INT in the Miami game also. I think I remember hearing he also ran the wrong route on the pick 6 against UT last year.

He did good things, but in my mind for a senior he made too many mistakes. Maybe it was coaching on offense... who knows, but good for him for making a roster. Never easy to make the cut.

He did make mistakes, but he was also on like his 3rd or 4th position.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon;n40950 said:

As well as Offensive Coordinator... Dude was a great gator... I don't get the bashing...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n40895 said:
Eagles Insider ‏@EaglesInsider
OC Pat Shurmur: We like Trey Burton both at tight end or at running back (H back) ... We like his versatility
H back does make some sense especially in a passing offense. Block a little, run every now and then, be the outlet receiver often fits him well enough.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J said:
Hopefully he's more successfull running the wildcat for the Eagles than he was for us.

With a guy like Burton, the wildcat can be more successfull in the NFL because they're not ready for it.
He won't be running the wildcat. You can bet on that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon;n40950 said:

That's really important. If they had just left him at FB or TE, he could have maybe bulked up and worked on blocking.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n40100 said:
Happy for Watkins too.
Rookie fourth-rounder Jaylen Watkins underwhelmed in preseason and could be a healthy scratch to start the season.

Jaylen Watkins: The rookie cornerback has not had a strong preseason, struggling in coverage and missing some practice time. Watkins showed up in a big way on Thursday, however, laying down two big hits on the Jets' opening drive. Seeing the small cornerback get physical is a very positive sign for the Eagles.
Most think he was the 53rd player and benefited from Dmitri Patterson going stupid and getting cut. Jaylen's injured again. That might be a problem for a 3rd teamer. I still don't see a future for a CB that can't cover.

Roberson has been getting some first team reps. It would be interesting to see him across from Janoris again but I don't think it will be this year.

Purifoy is also second team. Appears to be slated for ST duties mostly. He's valuable in that capacity as a returner and on kick blocker. That may work out for him, I dunno.

Are you happy for Roberson and Purifoy? Or is it still ok for pumpers to hate them?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n41388 said:
Most think he was the 53rd player and benefited from Dmitri Patterson going stupid and getting cut. Jaylen's injured again. That might be a problem for a 3rd teamer.

Roberson has been getting some first team reps. It would be interesting to see him across from Janoris again.

Purifoy is also second team. Appears to be slated for ST duties mostly.

like I've said jaylen was nothing but a combine hero. And Roberson will be the best pro. He's was a pretty solid corner and I believe he'll be a decent pro. Purifoy was a punk and criminaly overrated.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kind of funny that Kelly the coach was impressed by his (Watkins) coverage skills before he got injured,might have been the reason he missed practice and struggled and all of a sudden got better. Purifoy I really couldn't care less about , I think, like T that he was over rated and I also don't think he really ever tried to hard. He never got stuck in on his tackles and was constantly beaten. I also couldn't give a damn about some idiot who gets busted with bath salts. Roberson yeah, good for him. Funny you calling me out on this considering I haven't seen you do anything but run down Trey Burton, of course you in your infinite wisdom said he would never make a NFL roster. Unlike you I've never hated nor spent years denigrating and putting down any Gator player.Nor until right know about Purifoy have I ever really said anything negative about one. But we all know your hypocrisy by now don't we Law.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
Kind of funny that Kelly the coach was impressed by his (Watkins) coverage skills before he got injured,might have been the reason he missed practice and struggled and all of a sudden got better. Purifoy I really couldn't care less about , I think, like T that he was over rated and I also don't think he really ever tried to hard. He never got stuck in on his tackles and was constantly beaten. I also couldn't give a damn about some idiot who gets busted with bath salts. Roberson yeah, good for him. Funny you calling me out on this considering I haven't seen you do anything but run down Trey Burton, of course you in your infinite wisdom said he would never make a NFL roster. Unlike you I've never hated nor spent years denigrating and putting down any Gator player.Nor until right know about Purifoy have I ever really said anything negative about one. But we all know your hypocrisy by now don't we Law.
Is it just me or does it seems like Law is becoming the new Canething/GatorSidney/Alvin York on Gatorchatter.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
It's just you.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Unless they commit some heinous act, I always pull for Gators to succeed no matter how good or bad I feel they may be at their position.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
Is it just me or is 1906 the new WashDC/Sid Of GCMB?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
NavetG8r said:
Unless they commit some heinous act, I always pull for Gators to succeed no matter how good or bad I feel they may be at their position.
I guess Hernandez dropped off your list

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator