McElwain eerily similar to Fisher

andywarhol

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2015
Can McElwain duplicate what Fisher accomplished in his first year? Both coaches have very similar backgrounds, even as players. Both are offensive coaches that were offensive coordinators under Saban. They say the same things and like to run a Pro-Style offense. Even the circumstances are similar. When Fisher was hired, UF was losing a Heisman winning quarterback and had a single loss the year before.No one expected UF to lose to FSU the next year and be relegated to the Gator Bowl. Fisher won ten games his first year and beat UF, who had dominated the series for years. Can we see the same thing happen this year? Will UF win ten games and FSU have a Gator Bowl type year with a loss to UF?

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Even if it's true (which it's not), you should be banned for saying it. Troll

:banned:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Fisher was the OC at FSU for the 3 years before he took the HC position. His players, his scheme offensively and he could remain hands off with the defensive side during the transition. JMac is facing a total reboot - cupboard is thin on offense, not his players to adapt to his scheme, entirely new staff (save ONE person), and a cold trail for recruiting from day 1. Wholly different circumstances, only a fool would expect similar results. Or even suggest as much.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
didnt-read.gif

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Record maybe. I beg to differ that Mac is NOTHING like Dumbo. Yeah sure they're from the Saban coaching tree. But first of all Fisher was the HC in waiting and at FSU for three seasons prior to becoming HC. So he wasn't actually walking in to it cold like Mac is at UF. He was at the Clown College and was the OC and had his azz handed to him 3 years in a row. So, lets see....Mac is a HC in the SEC and Dumbo in the A-She-She, nothing similar there. And relegated to the Gator Bowl?......that was Meyer's last game and it was a win against Penn State in the Outback Bowl. Like your post there is nothing similar other than they both coached with Saban and OC's with some similar circumstances. So yeah, they may run something similar. You're way off here. And that will not equate to wins or loses.

andywarhol

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2015
TLB;n269837 said:
Fisher was the OC at FSU for the 3 years before he took the HC position. His players, his scheme offensively and he could remain hands off with the defensive side during the transition. JMac is facing a total reboot - cupboard is thin on offense, not his players to adapt to his scheme, entirely new staff (save ONE person), and a cold trail for recruiting from day 1. Wholly different circumstances, only a fool would expect similar results. Or even suggest as much.

I didn't say "expect." No one expected the results of Fisher's first year, they were a 7-6 Gator Bowl team the year before. I'm just pointing out the similarities. I also think you put too much stock into an assistant's role. It's a completely different gig when you're a head coach. In that matter, McElwain has an advantage since he has already learned how to be a head coach.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
andywarhol;n269824 said:
Can McElwain duplicate what Fisher accomplished in his first year? Both coaches have very similar backgrounds, even as players. Both are offensive coaches that were offensive coordinators under Saban. They say the same things and like to run a Pro-Style offense. Even the circumstances are similar. When Fisher was hired, UF was losing a Heisman winning quarterback and had a single loss the year before.No one expected UF to lose to FSU the next year and be relegated to the Gator Bowl. Fisher won ten games his first year and beat UF, who had dominated the series for years. Can we see the same thing happen this year? Will UF win ten games and FSU have a Gator Bowl type year with a loss to UF?
Please cut your arteries in three places.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
andywarhol;n269850 said:
I didn't say "expect." No one expected the results of Fisher's first year, they were a 7-6 Gator Bowl team the year before. I'm just pointing out the similarities. I also think you put too much stock into an assistant's role. It's a completely different gig when you're a head coach. In that matter, McElwain has an advantage since he has already learned how to be a head coach.

No one "expects" you to have any common sense. Time to :ban2: this asshat.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Guy listed his opinion and got attacked viciously for it :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the Spurrier documentary again last night and there seems to be some similarities to McElwain. They both preach and exude confidence which rubs off on the players. That was a core theme about Spurrier. I don't think anyone thinks Dumbo exudes confidence other than his ability to fix your car.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n269874 said:
Guy listed his opinion and got attacked viciously for it :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a troll that wont go away.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
andywarhol;n269824 said:

200.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
After some research I was able to give him an IP ban this time.

Since I'm sure he's reading this, take note: Every time you stick your head up around here I'm going to ban you. Find another board.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
andywarhol;n269850 said:

You didn't say "expect", I did. I also said something about a fool being involved.

You pointed out the similarities. You left off the fact that they both wear shoes - one big and red and floppy, the other without socks. Also they both smile a lot to the cameras - one sweating and wondering if he's going to get blindsided by a player-arrest situation, the other because he doesn't realize he has raccoon eyes. And they both now coach in the state of Florida - one inherited a program he'd been working in for some time, the other is asked to turn around the Titanic when it's half under water.

You didn't address the differences. Such as HC experience - one sat under Saint Bobby in Tallacrappy where he basically had to maintain the status quo (legal or not) once he ascended to the position after waiting 3 yrs for the old fart to get pushed out, the other went to a team in the dumps, turned them around and started setting records, then was asked to come into a worse situation than CSU and fix it. One took a program that traditionally operates at 65-70% true champion level but was running at 60% and raised it to 80%, which is good enough in the ACC to get you on the national stage. The other is asked to take a team that is used to running at an 80-85% level but was down to about 30-40% and get it back to at least 60% in the first year and 80%+ by the second year. Even that may not be good enough to compete in the SEC. You didn't point out that one took over the HC role entering his FOURTH year recruiting and developing the players on the roster while the other guy has stepped in with A FEW MONTHS to get his first class recruited and a first year of his strategy getting hamstrung by a lack of depth and change in philosophy for the players to grasp and apply. Here's another one for you - one left the OC position under Saban to become....an OC under Bobby. The other left the OC under Saban to become a HBC. Moving out, or moving up? There's a difference, and one is a sign of someone who can make success on their own while the other reflects a person who needs to have things made for them so they don't screw it up.

JMac does have the advantage of coaching as a HC prior to coming to UF - turning around a program and being successful at CSU. Jimbo has the advantage of a bubble of denial that protects poor character players, and in fact rewards them. Everyone is different with their own 'advantages' in a situation. The question is what does the person bring to the table - what are they facing, and what can they do in that situation? I doubt Jimbo could have turned around CSU, much less UF. I'll take JMac any day over Dumbo. We may not have the same results as you listed in the OP, but we'll be better off overall and will resume owning the state in short order. First year? Guys in very different situations, with very differing skill sets. Only a fool would ask if they could have the same results.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Himey;n269878 said:
I watched the Spurrier documentary again last night and there seems to be some similarities to McElwain. They both preach and exude confidence which rubs off on the players. That was a core theme about Spurrier. I don't think anyone thinks Dumbo exudes confidence other than his ability to fix your car.

I wouldn't let that idiot touch my car.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n269885 said:
After some research I was able to give him an IP ban this time.

Since I'm sure he's reading this, take note: Every time you stick your head up around here I'm going to ban you. Find another board.

are you able to divulge the trolls alias'

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.