McElwain Press Conference: 10/3

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I am all for positive reinforcement, and all that... but his feel-good comments just don't cut it anymore. The thrill is gone, and nothing he says or does gives anyone the warm fuzzies at this point. He needs to figure out how to right the ship quickly, or like Law referenced, he's going to get a lot more "noise in the system." With the loss of so many starters on D next year, he needs to be building credit this year to convince people that he's the guy to lead our beloved Gators into the future. I don't think he goes anywhere anytime soon, but next year might get very messy...

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac isn't the type to rip a kid in public save for the KT thing. I'm sure it is different in private.
Forget ripping the kids in public or private. He needs to be ripping his coaching staff for their terrible game planning and lack of in-game adjustments.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
" I thought we had some guys who looked like they were playing with some undue pressure for some reason. We need to make sure we’re playing loose."

"undue pressure"?!?!?!? Who in the hell was playing like they were under "undue pressure"? If anything all I saw were a bunch of disinterested guys playing as if winning didn't matter one way or another.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Man our D line is probably in even worse shape now. They were already undersized. Even if both Brantley and Cox play we are in trouble there.

If Sharpe is out Jordan likely goes to LG and Ivey is a better tackle than Guard but the RG position will still be a big weakness. That is probably a push if Jordan is comfortable at LG because Ivey was lost there at times.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Yeah, remember in '98 when Spurrier went off after squeaking out a road win vs Alabama 16-10? "We don't play like champions anymore, we play like a bunch of losers." SOS took some heat for that, but I think most of us appreciated him owning up to it. He had high expectations of his team and staff and he made damn sure everyone knew about it. Now, I don't expect Mac to be as vocal to the media, but I do think he needs to show some accountability and some fire in his azz regarding this team's lack of production. We need answers, not excuses, and certainly not praise.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I won't listen to any of his pressers. I give zero phvcks what he has to say. I want to see some results or he needs to go back to CSU.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He needs to read a new book or 2 on how to say "I suck" differently. His schtick is beyond tiresome.

Nineteen games in and this is the best he can do? Sorry Mac.....you can't get the team ready to play big boy football and you belong back in a Big Sky kind of place.

It's over, everyone needs to cut their losses.

2ndAmend

Oct 3, 2014
I am all for positive reinforcement, and all that... but his feel-good comments just don't cut it anymore. The thrill is gone, and nothing he says or does gives anyone the warm fuzzies at this point. He needs to figure out how to right the ship quickly, or like Law referenced, he's going to get a lot more "noise in the system." With the loss of so many starters on D next year, he needs to be building credit this year to convince people that he's the guy to lead our beloved Gators into the future. I don't think he goes anywhere anytime soon, but next year might get very messy...

Best post of 2016 so far.

:pirate:

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Well this really says it all, doesn't it? He's proud of how we played, and the offense is really firing on all zero cylinders.

I know the pumpers will alternate between excuses, "its coach speak, he doesn't really believe it" and "He said something else to them in private." Give me a break. This team acts just like what he's saying, blasé, uninspired, carefree. No intensity. What is the evidence to support the idea that he's just giving us this line but really is totally different with the team?

This is Muschamp 2.0 folks. Its friendlier, calmer, cleaner than the 1.0 product, but it is exactly the same :trainwreck:

If you want to pretend otherwise be my guest.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have grown to trust Mariana's sources. If he says Sharpe is actually being benched for being a lazy azz, then it is good news and perhaps that the staff is tired of this shyt.

I am tired of watching guys waltz their way through 2 1/2 years (or really less since they seem to take that third year off and just try to avoid injury) and just wait on the draft. That $80,000 or more scholarship should come with some commitment from the kids.

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I just want them to play better. Is that really too much to ask?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It's still all about wins and losses, and how we look in the process. At this point last year he was excited for the popcorn vendors, casually comparing Montana St to uga, and venturing off topic to discuss peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And we ate it up.

Don't get me wrong, his disconnect is disturbing. But I think much of this is just his shtick. It only gets really tiresome when the product on the field us garbage.

That said, I've reached a point that every time I hear him say "and yet", I seriously consider throwing objects at a wall. Even winning, his insistence on peppering each sentence with that drove me insane.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
It's still all about wins and losses, and how we look in the process. At this point last year he was excited for the popcorn vendors, casually comparing Montana St to uga, and venturing off topic to discuss peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And we ate it up.

Don't get me wrong, his disconnect is disturbing. But I think much of this is just his shtick. It only gets really tiresome when the product on the field us garbage.

That said, I've reached a point that every time I hear him say "and yet", I seriously consider throwing objects at a wall. Even winning, his insistence on peppering each sentence with that drove me insane.
I agree, and yet, I'll still probably watch his post game presser Saturday and beginning of the week one on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator