McElwain press conference (10/31)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not much other than the usual.

Mark Thompson didn't get high this week, apparently.

Justus Reed is back! :D

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/live-blog-highlights-from-jim-mcelwains-monday-media-session

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Jim McElwain is holding his regular Monday news conference to reflect on the Gators’ win over Georgia and look ahead to their trip to Arkansas this week.

Here were the highlights from his comments:

• “It seemed like forever that we had played a game and I just can’t tell you, our guys I felt came out with the right mindset, the right attitude. They played the game and they didn’t really what was going on other than focusing on trying to win that play.”
  • “We’ve got a bunch of guys that we’re banged up. You talk about Sherit and Ivie and Cox, Mark Herndon, guys that were banged up enough to say, ‘You know what, maybe not,’ older guys, and yet they did everything they could (to play). I just think that speaks volumes of this football team and how much they care about the Gators.”
  • “This was a game I felt all three phases had a lot to do with our success. After throwing the first interception on the over route … we didn’t panic, and I think the defense coming out and holding them to a field goal right there was huge.”
  • “Offensively, taking control of the time of possession, keeping our defense off the field and really those last two drives, I think were a statement for our guys.”
  • “No doubt about it, guys, that was a good football team we played. They’ve got good personnel, and we all know what that game means to both (sides).”
  • “I think it’s something to build on. That game’s over. We learned a lot about ourselves and how to prepare, and we’ll see how it carries over.”
  • On playing at Arkansas this week: “Man, it’s cool. Them running out of that hog pen. Bret’s done an outstanding job with that program, and what they’ve done as a program in November, take a look at that. They have finished and really closed every year that he’s been there. For our guys going into that environment, I’m looking forward to it. I’m looking forward to our guys experiencing that. That’s what playing at a place like Florida is all about, for those opportunities to go in and match yourself in an uncomfortable place.”
  • On Arkansas: “Everybody points to what happened in the Auburn game. I think that was an anomaly a little bit. It got out of hand … and took them out of their normal game. But I will say this, they’re physical. They understand what they want to do and how to do it. They’ve very sound on both sides of the football, and for us we have to be right.”
  • Injuries: “Actually pretty good. Herndon’s still banged up. Kylan Johnson is one we’ll have to relook at during the week. He was doing some really good things for us on special teams. … Jarrad Davis, obviously, he felt OK after the game, which is good. … (DeAndre) Goolsby played some reps with a messed up hand, and that’s good to see. … We should get Justus Reed back.”
  • On how Arkansas benefits from bye last week: “Coach Shannon having been there a little bit gives us a perspective on what their mindset was during a bye week. … They’ll come in with the mindset of ‘We’re going to take this to them.’ They worked hard on their turnover circuit and all those things. Their bye probably came at a good time, and I know the pride they have in their organization to prove that was one of those one-hit deals that happened. At the same time, I’m really more concerned about us.”
  • On Tennessee loss to South Carolina giving Florida breathing room: “It’s not just the way the Florida Gators are and where we’re at, but more so any time you become comfortable or you start to look ahead and not take care of the now, that’s when you get in trouble. That’s why I think this is a great opportunity to define kind of what we’re all about. You hear the cliches and that kind of stuff, but it really does, I like where this team’s at. And yet, here’s this next step that we need to take to solidify where our program is a little bit.”
  • On Mark Thompson’s status and whether the Gators will go back to a running back committee: “We’ll go back. Mark will be back and ready to go.”
  • On whether Florida is getting enough national respect: “I don’t think going into it anybody really thought much of us anyway. As I told our guys, it’s just a matter of going out and proving it each week. If you take care of business on Saturday, people will notice.”
  • On lessons from last year and avoiding a letdown: “There are. There’s things that we studied in the offseason to try to figure some of that out. I think what it comes down to is a want and a care to (define) who you are.”
  • On the offensive line: “They’re starting to see the importance of playing with a sense of urgency, a pad level and a finish. That’s where we’re trying to get and we will get.”
  • On returning to the top-10: “Great. I mean, I guess. Somebody did point out to me, though, this is kind of interesting. With Louisville and us both being in the top-10, you’ve got two guys from the state of Montana in the top 10. Pretty cool.”
  • On punter Johnny Townsend: “This guy, I don’t think, gets the credit. Not only that, but his operation time getting the ball off. They did some things (to disrupt that) and he didn’t flinch. … He’s been pinning guys inside the 10 time and time again. He really works at it. The guy’s going to be a next-level punter. He can do everything.”
  • On RB Jordan Cronkrite: “He wasn’t with the team in Jacksonville. He’s been dealing with some injury things and it’s his choice.”

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I am sure Coach Mac would love to light up the scoreboard every week if he had the weapons to do so. But the man is winning football games which makes me think he is a pretty good coach considering the limitations on offense. We are defending SEC East champs and in the driver's seat to repeat. The style points will come.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There it is again ... fire them boys up about how isn't it great to be in a different environment,
the high blue sky, It's cool just to play there.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Good to see we'll go back to running back by committee, I was afraid Scarlett was going to start shining too much.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good to see we'll go back to running back by committee, I was afraid Scarlett was going to start shining too much.

He was a little dinged up in the game Saturday. I imagine he would have been thrilled to have Cronk spell him a bit.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Sometimes I wish Mac would just say something like "Playing at Arkansas will be tough, but we have the inside track to Atlanta. Our guys know that and we're going to bust Arkansas the way Auburn exposed them."

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes I wish Mac would just say something like "Playing at Arkansas will be tough, but we have the inside track to Atlanta. Our guys know that and we're going to bust Arkansas the way Auburn exposed them."

... yet still, it's great to be under a blue sky surrounded by all these great Arkansas fans cheering
for their team. CFB is sure fun and we're glad just to be here.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A quote I saw from Mac in an article... not sure if he said this in the press conference or just in a direct interview...

We’re playing to the strengths of our football team right now,” McElwain said. “You’ve got to adjust as coaches to give your team whatever, whatever team that is that given year, the best opportunity to win.

“That’s kind of what we’re doing.”

He is playing to the talent he has... I think he realizes he has to be conservative with this offense for it to succeed. He doesn't have the players or QB to do what he really wants to do, but he is finding a way to win. If he beats Arkansas that will be a huge win. Now we just need to recruit some talent! Especially on OL and DL.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Somebody did point out to me, though, this is kind of interesting. With Louisville and us both being in the top-10, you’ve got two guys from the state of Montana in the top 10. Pretty cool.”

Dude, you are Florida now. FLORIDA! Not Montana anymore.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
LDR as forever QB ? IDK ... in the offseason Mac better not get exorbitant speaking fees
from the Del Rio Foundation.??

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is playing to the talent he has... I think he realizes he has to be conservative with this offense for it to succeed.
Mac and especially Nuss have always had ultraconservative offenses. Im sure theyd like to have Trent Richardson and some roided out upperclassmen up front, but you are crazy if you think our offense is going to look much different than this in the future.

Nuss and Chimp are one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator