McElwain press conference (10/31)

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac and especially Nuss have always had ultraconservative offenses. Im sure theyd like to have Trent Richardson and some roided out upperclassmen up front, but you are crazy if you think our offense is going to luck much different than this in the future.

Nuss and Chimp are one.

I don't need it to look too much different. I am happy with a run heavy offense if we can run the ball. I do want to see more explosive runs and passing plays and I think that is where different personnel will help.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Is he not allowed to be proud of being from Montana? I think you are over-reacting here.

I don't think I am. I'm fine with having pride in where you come from. But how many times has he been quoted about being a from Montana, vs being quoted as being at Florida? Instead of "Two Montana guys ranked that high", could we hear "Florida again ranked that high"? I'll concede coming from Montana is a long path not many could make to be the HBC at Florida. But I'd rather hear less about coming from Montana, and more about bringing Florida back into the rankings and national prominence. Is that wrong?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think I am. I'm fine with having pride in where you come from. But how many times has he been quoted about being a from Montana, vs being quoted as being at Florida? Instead of "Two Montana guys ranked that high", could we hear "Florida again ranked that high"? I'll concede coming from Montana is a long path not many could make to be the HBC at Florida. But I'd rather hear less about coming from Montana, and more about bringing Florida back into the rankings and national prominence. Is that wrong?

I think you are going to twist whatever he says to the most negative view. He got asked a really dumb question about polls. I don't think he cares where we are in the polls right now. Does being in the top 10 this week matter at all if we lose 3 of our next 4 games... NO!

Polls at this point in the year are for people to talk about on the radio and TV... the mean absolutely nothing, so he just transitioned to two guys being from Montana because the question was idiotic.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
he just transitioned to two guys being from Montana because the question was idiotic.

I can concede that, if that was his intention.

I think you are going to twist whatever he says to the most negative view.

Wow. You don't know me at all then. I've never twisted anyone's words, I'm more of a simple-direct person when it comes to communication. That's how I send messages, and generally interpret them.

Does being in the top 10 this week matter at all if we lose 3 of our next 4 games... NO!

Does being from Montana matter at all? No.
Does making the Florida brand carry some weight in media for recruiting and polling purposes matter at all? Yes. But not to him, apparently.

As to winning the next 3-4 games.....the rankings will sort themselves. So, if you are pressed to speak, you can talk to your strengths and weaknesses heading into those games, share your view of how the games may be (shootout, slugfest, boring as hell) without revealing strategy or gameplan. You can make relevant comments to let the world believe you know what you're doing. Or, you can "aw shucks" your Montana upbringing. Which one helps your program?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think you are going to twist whatever he says to the most negative view. He got asked a really dumb question about polls. I don't think he cares where we are in the polls right now. Does being in the top 10 this week matter at all if we lose 3 of our next 4 games... NO!

Polls at this point in the year are for people to talk about on the radio and TV... the mean absolutely nothing, so he just transitioned to two guys being from Montana because the question was idiotic.
To be fair. I'm kinda getting tired of the Montana thing also. It was fine for a while but I'm growing weary of it. I'd like to hear more about FLORIDA and how we're going to reclaim our place in national prominence.

The "just some ole boy from Montana" was fine for a short while. Now I wanna hear, "I'm a FLORIDA GATOR, and I'm hear to kick ass and take names." I wanna hear him say "I hope the rest of the SEC enjoyed getting their shots in while they could because the Mac train is coming and you mofos better get out of the way or be prepared to be run over!" I want to see some damn swagger again! I believe recruits would take note of this also.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair. I'm kinda getting tired of the Montana thing also. It was fine for a while but I'm growing weary of it. I'd like to hear more about FLORIDA and how we're going to reclaim our place in national prominence.

The "just some ole boy from Montana" was fine for a short while. Now I wanna hear, "I'm a FLORIDA GATOR, and I'm hear to kick ass and take names." I wanna hear him say "I hope the rest of the SEC enjoyed getting their shots in while they could because the Mac train is coming and you mofos better get out of the way or be prepared to be run over!" I want to see some damn swagger again! I believe recruits would take note of this also.

Can you show me a coach who stands at his press conference and says "I'm a XXX and I want to kick ass and take names.... "

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He got asked a really dumb question about polls.

I don't know ... seems like asking about the polls would be a top-10 question ? :confused:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And BTW, don't be too caught up in the vernacular... I'm not saying he should literally say, " I'm kicking ass and taking names." I'm referring to the overall attitude or persona. I would like to sense some confidence and some pride that he is representing THE UNIVERISTY OF FLORIDA and that FLORIDA is a badass place to be for badass mofo's. I'm just growing tired of the "all shucks.... ain't bad for a Montana boy" bit.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Can you show me a coach who stands at his press conference and says "I'm a XXX and I want to kick ass and take names.... "

Even with me admittedly taking people's statements at face value most times, I knew not to take him literally. Are you really reading him that way?

How many times have you seen Harbaugh quoted or referencing where he came from?
Or Saban?
Or SOS?
Or Dabo?
Or Jimbo?
Or Meyer?
Or any winning coach?

How many could you even name where they grew up? Aside from Harbaugh playing at MICH, and knowing SOS grew up in TN and I think Meyer was from Ohio, I couldn't tell you where any of them came from, tbh. And nobody f'n cares, either.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
A quote I saw from Mac in an article... not sure if he said this in the press conference or just in a direct interview...

We’re playing to the strengths of our football team right now,” McElwain said. “You’ve got to adjust as coaches to give your team whatever, whatever team that is that given year, the best opportunity to win.

“That’s kind of what we’re doing.”

He is playing to the talent he has... I think he realizes he has to be conservative with this offense for it to succeed. He doesn't have the players or QB to do what he really wants to do, but he is finding a way to win. If he beats Arkansas that will be a huge win. Now we just need to recruit some talent! Especially on OL and DL.

I tend to agree with that notion, but... if he wants to reduce the volume on the potential future "noise in the system" and the undercurrent of grumblings about next year, he needs to drastically improve upon his staff's recruiting efforts and results. He has earned some very deserved criticism on recruiting up to this point. The "I am trying to make chicken salad out of chicken $#!+" excuse won't be tolerable much longer.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I tend to agree with that notion, but... if he wants to reduce the volume on the potential future "noise in the system" and the undercurrent of grumblings about next year, he needs to drastically improve upon his staff's recruiting efforts and results. He has earned some very deserved criticism on recruiting up to this point. The "I am trying to make chicken salad out of chicken $#!+" excuse won't be tolerable much longer.

I agree... I think he has done a decent job recruiting on the offensive skill player side of the ball, but really needs to focus on the trenches. On the defensive side he needs everything, especially DL and LB, but we are going to get thin on DBs soon. If he doesn't improve recruiting he won't be here for a long time. You can't compete at UF without top level recruits.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Even with me admittedly taking people's statements at face value most times, I knew not to take him literally. Are you really reading him that way?

How many times have you seen Harbaugh quoted or referencing where he came from?
Or Saban?
Or SOS?
Or Dabo?
Or Jimbo?
Or Meyer?
Or any winning coach?

How many could you even name where they grew up? Aside from Harbaugh playing at MICH, and knowing SOS grew up in TN and I think Meyer was from Ohio, I couldn't tell you where any of them came from, tbh. And nobody f'n cares, either.

I get that you are annoyed by it... and I'm not saying it is the best thing to say, but I don't think it is a big deal either.

Realistically... my point was everybody wants him to come out and be all fired up and say all this BS. He is a coach and generally does the same coach speak as other coaches... no coach comes out and says all the stuff people say they want McElwain to say in press conferences.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps Mac just doesn't lie well ... so he has to get us to "good" before he makes grand claims
to recruits & parents. He's certainly upped our receivers' status : Cleveland, Massey, Swain, etc.
What he hasn't done (or it hasn't come along) is find the "gifted" QB. So he toodles with LDR until
the right QB comes. His improving passing stats will be a prerequisite to attracting that QB.
Somehow we should tout SOS's 90's passing offensive glory. Let Steve talk over films with the
prospective QBs ... anything.??

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
As I look at Luke doing his best on the field I have to wonder what our frosh QBs may be capable of doing. I'll take LDR over the Treon situation of last year cause the kid does hit some 3rd downs. The youngsters won't be given a shot this year, but next year we might get a bump at the position. We'll need it, the D won't be as good and we're gonna have to outscore people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator