Recruiting McElwain: Re-opening doors a priority (Florida HS's)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The first step is admitting there's a problem! Signing only 4 of the top 60 recruits in your own state SCREAMS "there's a problem"! Glad to see McElwain sees this.

.McElwain making re-opening doors to high schools a priority

TAMPA --
Florida coach Jim McElwain made no bones about it on national signing day a few months ago: The Gators got beat recruiting in the state, and that can't happen going forward.

In the 2016 recruiting class, Florida signed just four of the Top 50 players in the state according to the 247Composite, while rivals Florida State and Miami signed eight and 10, respectively.

McElwain and his staff have rededicated themselves to taking back the state of late, starting with a massive push to get high school coaches on campus with their players so they can familiarize themselves with everything Florida has to offer. Particularly since McElwain has been pushing for all kinds of upgrades for the Gators.

"I think the biggest thing for us is to make sure we get them on our campus and they can see all the really good things that we have," McElwain said. "And yet, it's not for everybody. That's just the way it is. But our first and foremost, our emphasis is keeping the guys in-state. And that's what we're trying to do."

The Gators have done several things to boost perception across the state, from hosting a high school day during spring practice (dozens of coaches showed up and toured the facilities after watching practice), to decking out a rental bus with Gators logos and designs as McElwain tours the state on his spring speaking tour.

No detail is too small.

McElwain has also made a point of getting back to the grassroots work of rebuilding relationships in high schools across the state.

"According to the coaches and the way we're blitzing areas -- and then we'll go back out and redo some solo stuff basically -- it's been fantastic," McElwain said. "The reception from the high school coaches in what we're doing to open our doors to them is something that's been really well-received.

For McElwain, it's not doing anything out of the ordinary. Like with his players, he wants everyone to understand he has an open-door policy.

His genuine nature and the turnaround he's working to bring about at Florida should sell themselves.

"And yet that's kind of how I run business," he said. "It's nothing special, and yet they feel very comfortable any time they come up, spend time with us. Really, our ability to learn things from them and maybe they pick up a few things from us, that's what makes this profession so good."

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/M...ing-doors-to-high-schools-a-priority-45057124

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Blue and orange corvettes for the HS coaches would go a long way

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
In the 2016 recruiting class, Florida signed just four of the Top 50 players in the state according to the 247Composite, while rivals Florida State and Miami signed eight and 10, respectively.
In all seriousness, how does this happen? Mac didn't just arrive this year... WTF was he doing last year?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
In all seriousness, how does this happen? Mac didn't just arrive this year... WTF was he doing last year?

So this is bad news? I mean the guy is flat out admitting he got his butt kicked last year and is on the right track to get it turned around. Obviously he realizes he didnt do everything he needed to.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
So this is bad news?

You don't think this is? Ole Hee Haw is slow to the table here...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
People will wonder why it took him so long to realize this. It is odd.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
n

not to Gatormandan... All is good... nothing to see here... Blinders securely on...

I clearly said he has admitted he missed it. While I dont think its ok, I am glad he realizes it and is fixing it. No blinders here...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Doors locked, keys thrown away, backs turned from having Messedchomp as head-rep
for UF for years. Can anyone imagine meeting up close and personal with that hypocrap ?

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I clearly said he has admitted he missed it. While I dont think its ok, I am glad he realizes it and is fixing it. No blinders here...
Yeah, the numbers say that without him admitting as much... Muschamp missed the offense too... I just wonder why having a full year we only get 4 of the top 50 while a dump like Miami gets 10? That is very troublesome.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So this is bad news? I mean the guy is flat out admitting he got his butt kicked last year and is on the right track to get it turned around. Obviously he realizes he didnt do everything he needed to.

So now we fall another year behind.....wtf? No excuse for not having a killer recruiting class in your first full year as depleted as our talent was.

Mac and his assistants dropped the effing ball, period. Talk is cheap.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Obviously. I was
So now we fall another year behind.....wtf? No excuse for not having a killer recruiting class in your first full year as depleted as our talent was.

Mac and his assistants dropped the effing ball, period. Talk is cheap.

So do we somehow turn back the clock and change it? It sucks but it is what it is. Now we look forward and hope for the best. Cant change the past.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously. I was

So do we somehow turn back the clock and change it? It sucks but it is what it is. Now we look forward and hope for the best. Cant change the past.
hope and crummy recruiting doesn't win games

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of problems were started before McElwain took over, and some even before Muskchump... McElwain assistant coaches also didn't make inroads where they needed to be, which could be the reason we saw the changes in the staff that were made after the season. Was the recruiting class great, not be any stretch of the imagination. Was it horrible, no. It was just solid. At Florida we need better than solid, He has un uphill battle. Not only was he recruiting a different section of the nation 2 years ago, he has to wash off some of the BS created by Muskchump and the final two years of Meyer recruiting. Meyer burnt some bridges with his hubris where Muskchump did with this personality and product on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator