Recruiting McElwain: Re-opening doors a priority (Florida HS's)

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I imagine that Muschamp dug a bigger hole than McElwain realized.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously. I was

So do we somehow turn back the clock and change it? It sucks but it is what it is. Now we look forward and hope for the best. Cant change the past.

Of course we can't change it. The point is these guys are paid big bucks to recruit and coach full-time, all the damn time, no excuses....if you don't want to get the job done, get the **** out. I'm sick of hearing shiit about our facilities. Do your damn job!

I'll tell you exactly what happened, these egotistical assistants like side-hat and Shannon and Nussmier came in here and expected the Florida "brand" to do their work for them and have great players begging to sign with us....guess what, it no longer works that way and it shouldn't take 14-16 months to figure that ****ing out.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Of course we can't change it. The point is these guys are paid big bucks to recruit and coach full-time, all the damn time, no excuses....if you don't want to get the job done, get the **** out. I'm sick of hearing shiit about our facilities. Do your damn job!

I'll tell you exactly what happened, these egotistical assistants like side-hat and Shannon and Nussmier came in here and expected the Florida "brand" to do their work for them and have great players begging to sign with us....guess what, it no longer works that way and it shouldn't take 14-16 months to figure that ****ing out.
Yeah, Shannon really sewed up South Florida for us...

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Mac inherited a dumpster fire. First, he got a needed facility and began to attract playmakers. Now coaches and recruits will believe him when he says more improvements are on the way. He got beat badly in Florida recruiting and saved the class by picking up out of staters
BTW, the Bama kicker missed 4 of 5 field goal attempts in the spring game. The one he made was 26 yds. Anyone glad Mac went head-to-head for Piniero?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Last year's recruiting class was disappointing. I don't think Coach Mac would argue that or give any excuses. He knows they didn't do a good enough job, and it looks like he's putting forth the effort to correct the problem. We'll see how it works out. It's too soon to give up on the guy, and there is no reason to right now because there were a lot more good things about last season than bad, and that includes recruiting too.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Last year's recruiting class was disappointing. I don't think Coach Mac would argue that or give any excuses. He knows they didn't do a good enough job, and it looks like he's putting forth the effort to correct the problem. We'll see how it works out. It's too soon to give up on the guy, and there is no reason to right now because there were a lot more good things about last season than bad, and that includes recruiting too.
I liked the class on the offensive side. The failure was on defense.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
because there were a lot more good things about last season than bad, and that includes recruiting too.

That's just it, I don't know that this is the case. The way we finished stank up the whole season. The way the bowl game was coached, stank up the whole season.

I'm not the fire Mac bandwagon, but I ain't sold on him either. He had better start recruiting and coaching better.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
In all seriousness, how does this happen? Mac didn't just arrive this year... WTF was he doing last year?

Some of it happened because Urban Meyer did not understand that when you take an equal or marginally better prospect from New Jersey or California that leaves the other guy often in state or in region to go to FSU or Miami. That builds their recruiting while yours is maybe better that year, but you are hurt in state in the future.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That's just it, I don't know that this is the case. The way we finished stank up the whole season. The way the bowl game was coached, stank up the whole season.

I'm not the fire Mac bandwagon, but I ain't sold on him either. He had better start recruiting and coaching better.

Agree....the jury is still out. That's for sure. He's much more likable though!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The end of the season was bad no doubt, but at the beginning of the year we were picked to win 6 games at best. 10 win season and the first East title in 6 years with no QB depth and the worst O-line in the SEC is pretty good in spite of the terrible ending .

Plus like others have said before, recruiting wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. Mac brought in some important players of need his first year and did a solid job recruiting offense in the next. There's plenty of room for improvement for the coaching staff, but at least it looks like he's taking steps in the right direction to correct mistakes.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The end of the season was bad no doubt, but at the beginning of the year we were picked to win 6 games at best. 10 win season and the first East title in 6 years with no QB depth and the worst O-line in the SEC is pretty good in spite of the terrible ending .

Plus like others have said before, recruiting wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. Mac brought in some important players of need his first year and did a solid job recruiting offense in the next. There's plenty of room for improvement for the coaching staff, but at least it looks like he's taking steps in the right direction to correct mistakes.
I agree, but I can also see the concerns after the way we faltered at the end (for obvious reasons). I'm a bit concerned about recruiting, but I'm remaining optimistic that the coaching changes he made will help turn that around. I guess I'm labeled as a pumper, but I do understand the negativity isn't totally without merit. What eats at me is the handful that seem to revel in it at every opportunity that presents itself.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In all seriousness, how does this happen? Mac didn't just arrive this year... WTF was he doing last year?
:what:

I don't know, but the recruiting coordinators and assistant coaches responsible should have been fired.

Firing one guy may have been a shot across the bow, but there needs to be much more if there isn't drastic improvement. This is big business and these guys get paid a lot to perform. I know some of them were reaches, and desperation hires, but you either sink or swim.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I imagine that Muschamp dug a bigger hole than McElwain realized.
In state recruiting was a problem before that. Our last two azzhole HCs have really alienated Florida HS coaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator