Recruiting McElwain: Re-opening doors a priority (Florida HS's)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, the numbers say that without him admitting as much... Muschamp missed the offense too... I just wonder why having a full year we only get 4 of the top 50 while a dump like Miami gets 10? That is very troublesome.
:headslap::banghead::headslap::barfaway:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
GMDGATOR said:
Yeah, the numbers say that without him admitting as much... Muschamp missed the offense too... I just wonder why having a full year we only get 4 of the top 50 while a dump like Miami gets 10? That is very troublesome.
"But Richt only had a couple of months to get to know these kids". "Wait til he gets a year to build relationships".

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"But Richt only had a couple of months to get to know these kids". "Wait til he gets a year to build relationships".

Helen Hunt waxed our ass with 10 of the top 50 players in Florida to our 4. He did it with 60 DAYS on the job and shiitola for facilities and fan base attendance support.....pardon me, but I just have a hard time accepting that as being adequate "improvement" in the recruiting wars. The very idea of "Side-hat" Geoff Collins making an in-home visit for us makes me nauseous.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Hmm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he arrive just last January and also salvage a recruiting class and bring in some OL?

I would imagine last year, he was putting out the closer fires- lack of OL, lack of QB, changing the attitudinal culture of the players in preparation for football season, getting his staff in place, convincing Foley to come out of the past and at least start to get competitive with other schools in facilites, organizing the intrasturcture, and recruiting.

Of course, he saw this was a problem, at least as the year progressed. Getting a viable team on the field for the fall was probably the biggest priority, and initiating the groundwork for the improved facilities to aid recruiting was a huge step in becoming competitive in recruiting, as is team performance.

Now a year into his program, with some of the more immediate issues having solutions in place or unfolding, he can put more effort and time into cultivating the high school coach relationships. That's my take on it. The man is about building relationships, I doubt he was unaware of the need for relationships with HS coaches..

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Miami hired a highly successful SEC winning HC. Richt was familiar with HS coaches in the
south... had good established relationships. If kids want to play in the SEC then they
would be attracted to play in a program of a "winner" SEC HC. Maybe the excitement around
that allowed UM to grab a lot of south Florida stars ?

Also schools that have earned NCAA violations are bound, learning through experience, to
have devised better "underground" pipelines for paying players to come. There's greatest
motivation (to cheat) to make this trumpeted arrival of Mark Richt a foolproof success.

Mac needs several straight seasons of 9-10 wins to be accepted as an SEC "winner".
Just watch the recruiting improvement once we're shown on regional TV with our players
raucously jumping for joy on-field & on sidelines celebrating exciting O plays as well as D stops.
Each of Mac's successive recruiting classes should show an increasingly steep rise. IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator