McElwain to use two-quarterback rotation until Gators' starter emerges

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It will be after KY that a starter is named for the season. Unless neither has showed the command, leadership and moving the team down to scoring on a consistent basis, if that is the case, expect to keep seeing both because if one is struggling I think Mac will make the change. Plus it makes teams prepare for two different styles and schemes. And the final factor, Mac might realize that the Oline will get beat at times during the season and a QB will get hit hard, best to have the 'backup' really ready.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n267084 said:
He may announce after that game but with about the worst defense in all of FBS I dont think that game will say too much in reality. ECU at least has a defense.
I don't have a clue what this staff wants to do. The only other situation like this I can think with mac is mcarron and simms at bama but I can't remember how many games it took to figure it out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n267099 said:
I don't have a clue what this staff wants to do. The only other situation like this I can think with mac is mcarron and simms at bama but I can't remember how many games it took to figure it out.

That may give a clue because in that situation Saban (Mac OC) said there was no starter and then proceeded to let McCarron play the whole first half almost before Simms got a snap I think. So if that happens with Grier he will probably be named the starter if he doesn't play bad.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Gator Fever;n267177 said:
That may give a clue because in that situation Saban (Mac OC) said there was no starter and then proceeded to let McCarron play the whole first half almost before Simms got a snap I think. So if that happens with Grier he will probably be named the starter if he doesn't play bad.

I forgot about that. That would be telling if it happens.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n265870 said:
Settle down fellas.

Even after Spring practice, Spurrier had Shane Matthews buried at 5th (!) on the QB depth chart.

Eric Kresser was a far better looking QB in practice than that other guy...Danny Wuerffel.

And Rex Grossman and Brock Berlin were even in practice too (and both were behind Jesse Palmer).

And for some undiscernible reason, Johnny Brantley and Cam Newton looked dead even in practice.

Things change when the bullets fly.

Sure, Grier is the more accurate pocket passer...but Brantley was an accurate pocket passer in practice too.

I want to see them both in real action, even if it is only New Mexico. That's the only way we're really going see if either one of these guys has "it."

You can't replicate the things Treon did to help us win last year in practice wearing a non-contact jersey.

Sure, Treon didn't look like Tebow or Cam or Grossman or Leak or Weurffel and we're hoping that Grier does but he might not look like any of those guys either.

Regardless, we want the guy that gives us the best chance to win out there.

Personally, I just hope at least one of them has "it."

Alex.

Well said!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he names a starter until the UK game. I think he really wants to see what these guys do on the field in real game situations. Unless you see somebody really distinguish themselves against NMSU, I don't see a starter named until after ECU.

This isn't a bad thing either... he wants these guys to truly prove themselves. I have no issue with that

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does Gorilla realize he started the other Florida will use 2 QB's thread? :dunno:

GatorGorilla

Jan 2, 2015
URGatorBait;n267279 said:
Does Gorilla realize he started the other Florida will use 2 QB's thread? :dunno:

I considered it a bit of an update..people here sure get it in a bunch easily

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorGorilla;n267287 said:

Nah, just don't need duplicate threads. Small updates should be made within the same thread. As the threads originator, you can update the thread title just by going back and editing your first post.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n267202 said:
I don't think he names a starter until the UK game. I think he really wants to see what these guys do on the field in real game situations. Unless you see somebody really distinguish themselves against NMSU, I don't see a starter named until after ECU.

This isn't a bad thing either... he wants these guys to truly prove themselves. I have no issue with that

Agree. It's also not bad to have 2 competent QBs. The whole "if you have 2 QBs, you have no QB" line is very much within context. If in mid October we're flipping back and forth each week, then obviously that's not good. But having 2 guys that are neck and neck in fall camp, both of whom are viewed as capable of leading the team, is actually a bit of a luxury. Someone will likely emerge, just as DW and Grossman did. The first game or two is a perfect setting to make a determination.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
GatorGorilla;267287 said:

It's all appreciated.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I merge more threads from GatorGorilla than anybody else

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n267095 said:
It will be after KY that a starter is named for the season. Unless neither has showed the command, leadership and moving the team down to scoring on a consistent basis, if that is the case, expect to keep seeing both because if one is struggling I think Mac will make the change. Plus it makes teams prepare for two different styles and schemes. And the final factor, Mac might realize that the Oline will get beat at times during the season and a QB will get hit hard, best to have the 'backup' really ready.

I feel like this should be the biggest factor considering we haven't gone a single season without our starting QB missing at least one game due to injury since Tebow left.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Grier will be the long term solution but Harris will get his snaps. I like having a "change" of pace QB to screw with other teams preparation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.