Memphis vs. UCF (ABC)

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Helluva game so far. 28-24 Memphis late the second.

I look at Norvell's offense and wonder what if.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Helluva game so far. 28-24 Memphis late the second.

I look at Norvell's offense and wonder what if.
What if... he had a defense? This is the question that no one’s raised about either coach. Here are two up-and-comings that don’t have an answer for defending their own schemes.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
One of the reasons I was not in the Chip Kelly camp was b/c he can kill his own defense on day's when the offense is slowed or not clicking. But since defense is optional in most of college football these days, not many fans seem to care. The funny thing is that of the top 6 teams in the playoff rankings today, the first part of the team that is mentioned regarding 5 of them is DEFENSE or some part of their D. OU is the only team of the 6 whose defense is not their strong side of the ball.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Offense wins games, defense wins Championships. Nothing new. But don't act like these coaches couldn't hire Grantham and ease all your pains.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys were expecting defense?

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
No, my point is I see what could have been....

Caloosahatchee

I voted for Law!
Sep 12, 2014
No, my point is I see what could have been....

I'm going to try to see what is, not pine over some G5 coach who hasn't been proven in real competition. Like it or not, we have our coach. I really don't think most people are old enough to remember how bad MSU has been historically. The fact that Mullen even won at all is a major credit to his ability as a coach.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to try to see what is, not pine over some G5 coach who hasn't been proven in real competition. Like it or not, we have our coach. I really don't think most people are old enough to remember how bad MSU has been historically. The fact that Mullen even won at all is a major credit to his ability as a coach.

What is? What is what?

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Whoever has the ball last.... Frost, if and when he goes to Nebraska, will not be doing this in the Big 10.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Right now the standard is, "Man, if we had only held them to less than 48 points, we'd be winning right now." Yawn.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Offense wins games, defense wins Championships. Nothing new. But don't act like these coaches couldn't hire Grantham and ease all your pains.

The big question would indeed be who would they hire. Would they be loyal to the guys they have coached with up to this point? Or would they be willing to reach out to a much more experienced coordinator? And how much influence would the AD at the school that hired them have in that decision?
I sure wouldn't want either of those guys if they brought along the D coordinator they currently have.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I realize it’s easy, even fun, to speculate that these guys would automatically recognize a change in scenery and adjust their mindset. And that may be the case. But it’s irrefutable that there is a risk associated with coaches who have such a one sided approach, and wrong to just assume they’d “get it” once they landed at UF. Not much different than assuming WM would change his stripes regarding his view of offense. They’ll likely both turn out to be good coaches, but offense is all they know and all they’ve ever lived off to get wins. As much as I’d have taken them, I couldn’t guarantee that by the time they figured out how critical defense is, we wouldn’t have been sending them packing.

Caloosahatchee

I voted for Law!
Sep 12, 2014
I realize it’s easy, even fun, to speculate that these guys would automatically recognize a change in scenery and adjust their mindset. And that may be the case. But it’s irrefutable that there is a risk associated with coaches who have such a one sided approach, and wrong to just assume they’d “get it” once they landed at UF. Not much different than assuming WM would change his stripes regarding his view of offense. They’ll likely both turn out to be good coaches, but offense is all they know and all they’ve ever lived off to get wins. As much as I’d have taken them, I couldn’t guarantee that by the time they figured out how critical defense is, we wouldn’t have been sending them packing.

Well said. I remember watching highlights of CSU before Mac came.... needless to say it didn't translate at all. Someone else said it previously, these guys could be offensive coordinators acting as head coaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.