Michael Oher Sues his "Adoptive" Family

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You POed cause they didn't adopt you either?

:scratchchin:

The way I see it, I've get a better case against them than Michael Oher.

He got free room and board from them, got his tuition paid to that fancy private school, etc. At least he got a conservatorship out of it.

The Tuohy family didn't do sh!t for me. I figure they gotta owe me at least a couple of million. Rest of you guys too. We should file a class action suit against them for failing to adopt us. Greedy bastards. Keeping their money for themselves instead of giving it to me. The fcuking nerve of those people.

Alex.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He got free room and board from them, got his tuition paid to that fancy private school, etc. At least he got a conservatorship out of it.
Most importantly, their actions directly led him to an NFL career that made him 34.5 million, plus endorsements. His actions now are beyond belief.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Most importantly, their actions directly led him to an NFL career that made him 34.5 million, plus endorsements. His actions now are beyond belief.

Exactly.

What did I get? A free soft taco if we scored over 80? Pfffft. The Tuohy family owes me BIG TIME.

Alex.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
My understanding is Oher has been estranged from the Tuohy’s for nearly a decade. It is also my understanding that adults in Tennessee can be adopted so the reason the Tuohy’s gave for not adopting him don’t make sense.

This could be a straight up money grab by a broke, former NFL player. I can also see the Tuohy’s not legally adopting him so that he wouldn’t get a cut of their fortune. Kind of like, we love you like a son Mike…well almost like a son…but not enough to cut you in on the $200 million our real kids will inherit. Somebody may have put that thought into his head.

The other thing I find odd is that they still have conservatorship over him nearly 20 years after he turned 18. That makes no sense to me.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My understanding is Oher has been estranged from the Tuohy’s for nearly a decade. It is also my understanding that adults in Tennessee can be adopted so the reason the Tuohy’s gave for not adopting him don’t make sense.

This could be a straight up money grab by a broke, former NFL player. I can also see the Tuohy’s not legally adopting him so that he wouldn’t get a cut of their fortune. Kind of like, we love you like a son Mike…well almost like a son…but not enough to cut you in on the $200 million our real kids will inherit. Somebody may have put that thought into his head.

The other thing I find odd is that they still have conservatorship over him nearly 20 years after he turned 18. That makes no sense to me.

Allegedly...the purpose of the conservatorship was that it was the quickest and easiest way to clear up the NCAA issue and allow him to play. There was some question as to whether the Tuohy's gave him improper benefits in exchange for him attending Ole Miss. The conservatorship was quicker and easier than adoption and served to fix the improper benefits issue.

I don't think the Tuohy's were thinking their story was going to become a book and later a movie so they better trick 18 year old Oher into signing the conservatorship so they could finalize the big movie swindle some 4 years later.

Alex.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Allegedly...the purpose of the conservatorship was that it was the quickest and easiest way to clear up the NCAA issue and allow him to play. There was some question as to whether the Tuohy's gave him improper benefits in exchange for him attending Ole Miss. The conservatorship was quicker and easier than adoption and served to fix the improper benefits issue.

I don't think the Tuohy's were thinking their story was going to become a book and later a movie so they better trick 18 year old Oher into signing the conservatorship so they could finalize the big movie swindle some 4 years later.

Alex.

Me, either. I think it’s more likely they went the conservatorship route so that he wouldn’t be entitled to a cut of their family fortune at the expense of their biological kids.

He moved in with them when he was 16. Two years seems like more than enough time to finalize the adoption so that the improper benefits issue would never come into play.

And why would the Tuohy’s still be conservators over him when he a grown man in his mid 30s? That seems really odd.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Me, either. I think it’s more likely they went the conservatorship route so that he wouldn’t be entitled to a cut of their family fortune at the expense of their biological kids.

He moved in with them when he was 16. Two years seems like more than enough time to finalize the adoption so that the improper benefits issue would never come into play.

And why would the Tuohy’s still be conservators over him when he a grown man in his mid 30s? That seems really odd.

I’m sure they are wealthy enough ensure their estate would be distributed however they deemed fit whether they adopted Oher or not. You don’t have to split it up evenly amongst your children. That’s what wills and trusts are for. They can adopt him today and write him out of the Will tomorrow.

Besides, why adoption? Oher’s biological parents may have abandoned him, but they weren’t dead. Maybe this was more of a foster care type situation. Sometimes the foster family adopts, often they don’t.

They didn’t have to do either conservatorship or adoption unless Oher was going to Ole Miss. That’s why they did it. If it wasn’t for the NCAA I doubt they would have done either.

If your son brought in a homeless friend in need, you might give him a place to sleep, food, clothes, etc. and help with school. Doesn’t mean you want to adopt that kid. Adoption is a really big deal. Trust me. I know. You don’t adopt a kid unless you’re fully prepared to make that kid YOUR child. That means you would WANT that kid in your Will. If you’re not there, you shouldn’t adopt.

As for the conservatorship lasting, do you think they were using it to steal a piece of his NFL contracts or something? Would anything be different today if it had been dissolved a decade ago?

Alex.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I’m sure they are wealthy enough ensure their estate would be distributed however they deemed fit whether they adopted Oher or not. You don’t have to split it up evenly amongst your children. That’s what wills and trusts are for. They can adopt him today and write him out of the Will tomorrow.

Besides, why adoption? Oher’s biological parents may have abandoned him, but they weren’t dead. Maybe this was more of a foster care type situation. Sometimes the foster family adopts, often they don’t.

They didn’t have to do either conservatorship or adoption unless Oher was going to Ole Miss. That’s why they did it. If it wasn’t for the NCAA I doubt they would have done either.

If your son brought in a homeless friend in need, you might give him a place to sleep, food, clothes, etc. and help with school. Doesn’t mean you want to adopt that kid. Adoption is a really big deal. Trust me. I know. You don’t adopt a kid unless you’re fully prepared to make that kid YOUR child. That means you would WANT that kid in your Will. If you’re not there, you shouldn’t adopt.

As for the conservatorship lasting, do you think they were using it to steal a piece of his NFL contracts or something? Would anything be different today if it had been dissolved a decade ago?

Alex.

Yeah, I’m aware that they are free to leave their fortune to whomever they want, disinherit kids, etc. The only problem with adopting Oher but writing him out of the will is that is contrary to their statements that they love him like their own son. Were they to do that, their actions would show them to be self serving and full of shyt.

Your point about my son bringing a homeless friend home plays into my point. The Tuohy’s have claimed Oher was their adopted son for years when, in fact, he wasn’t their adopted child. They sure liked the publicity they got from those (false) claims but didn’t want to deal with the other tough decisions that would have come from formally adopting him. For example, now that Oher has been formally adopted, do we cut him out of the will, do we give him a share equal to our biological kids, or do we do something in between? Decisions, decisions….

As far as the conservatorship, I have no idea what they were doing with said power. Can you come up with a single good reason why they would continue to have conservatorship powers over a mid 30s former NFL player who by all appearances is able to function on his own in society as a responsible adult? Or why they would have retained those powers over him a decade ago when he was making millions per year playing in the NFL?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Again, Oher made 34.5 million in the NFL because the Tuohy's put him on that path. That WAS his inheritance, and it was one hell of a generous one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.