MIT scientists develop new material that is "stronger than steel and as light as plastic"

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Whenever the subject of the environment comes up, and sea level rise, etc., my stock take on it is that I don't worry about it, because I have faith in continued advances in technologies to provide solutions that we can't even conceive of yet. You never know what tomorrow holds.

Take this new material developed by MIT, for example. It is a polymer that can be cheaply made in large quantities, and, "researchers found that the new material’s elastic modulus — a measure of how much force it takes to deform a material — is between four and six times greater than that of bulletproof glass. They also found that its yield strength, or how much force it takes to break the material, is twice that of steel, even though the material has only about one-sixth the density of steel."

Among many other applications, you could build entire vehicles out of this material, including the engines (or batteries?), which would then be much lighter and use much less power.

MIT Engineers Create the “Impossible” – New Material That Is Stronger Than Steel and As Light as Plastic

Using a novel polymerization process, MIT chemical engineers have created a new material that is stronger than steel and as light as plastic, and can be easily manufactured in large quantities.

The new material is a two-dimensional polymer that self-assembles into sheets, unlike all other polymers, which form one-dimensional, spaghetti-like chains. Until now, scientists had believed it was impossible to induce polymers to form 2D sheets.

Such a material could be used as a lightweight, durable coating for car parts or cell phones, or as a building material for bridges or other structures, says Michael Strano, the Carbon P. Dubbs Professor of Chemical Engineering at MIT and the senior author of the new study.

“We don’t usually think of plastics as being something that you could use to support a building, but with this material, you can enable new things,” he says. “It has very unusual properties and we’re very excited about that.”

The researchers have filed for two patents on the process they used to generate the material, which they describe in a paper published in Nature on February 2, 2022. ...

Polymer scientists have long hypothesized that if polymers could be induced to grow into a two-dimensional sheet, they should form extremely strong, lightweight materials. However, many decades of work in this field led to the conclusion that it was impossible to create such sheets. One reason for this was that if just one monomer rotates up or down, out of the plane of the growing sheet, the material will begin expanding in three dimensions and the sheet-like structure will be lost.

However, in the new study, Strano and his colleagues came up with a new polymerization process that allows them to generate a two-dimensional sheet called a polyaramide. For the monomer building blocks, they use a compound called melamine, which contains a ring of carbon and nitrogen atoms. Under the right conditions, these monomers can grow in two dimensions, forming disks. These disks stack on top of each other, held together by hydrogen bonds between the layers, which make the structure very stable and strong.

“Instead of making a spaghetti-like molecule, we can make a sheet-like molecular plane, where we get molecules to hook themselves together in two dimensions,” Strano says. “This mechanism happens spontaneously in solution, and after we synthesize the material, we can easily spin-coat thin films that are extraordinarily strong.”

Because the material self-assembles in solution, it can be made in large quantities by simply increasing the quantity of the starting materials. The researchers showed that they could coat surfaces with films of the material, which they call 2DPA-1.

“With this advance, we have planar molecules that are going to be much easier to fashion into a very strong, but extremely thin material,” Strano says.

The researchers found that the new material’s elastic modulus — a measure of how much force it takes to deform a material — is between four and six times greater than that of bulletproof glass. They also found that its yield strength, or how much force it takes to break the material, is twice that of steel, even though the material has only about one-sixth the density of steel.

More...

I'm sure our Dear Leader is anxious to get ahold of some of this stuff, to make lightweight replica movie props that are easier to carry around on Halloween. Or whenever the mood strikes.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Glad to hear. The polymer scientists I know learn that "by weight this polymer is stronger than steel" and all they remember is "stronger than steel". They then replace steel parts with plastic parts exactly the same size. Of course, the parts immediately break and then have to be replaced with steel parts. If this new material really is as strong as steel (not just pound by pound) then maybe things are better. The real question is whether this material will solve the great polymer problem -- plastic zippers for men's trousers that last.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whenever the subject of the environment comes up, and sea level rise, etc., my stock take on it is that I don't worry about it, because I have faith in continued advances in technologies to provide solutions that we can't even conceive of yet. You never know what tomorrow holds.

Take this new material developed by MIT, for example. It is a polymer that can be cheaply made in large quantities, and, "researchers found that the new material’s elastic modulus — a measure of how much force it takes to deform a material — is between four and six times greater than that of bulletproof glass. They also found that its yield strength, or how much force it takes to break the material, is twice that of steel, even though the material has only about one-sixth the density of steel."

Among many other applications, you could build entire vehicles out of this material, including the engines (or batteries?), which would then be much lighter and use much less power.

MIT Engineers Create the “Impossible” – New Material That Is Stronger Than Steel and As Light as Plastic

Using a novel polymerization process, MIT chemical engineers have created a new material that is stronger than steel and as light as plastic, and can be easily manufactured in large quantities.

The new material is a two-dimensional polymer that self-assembles into sheets, unlike all other polymers, which form one-dimensional, spaghetti-like chains. Until now, scientists had believed it was impossible to induce polymers to form 2D sheets.

Such a material could be used as a lightweight, durable coating for car parts or cell phones, or as a building material for bridges or other structures, says Michael Strano, the Carbon P. Dubbs Professor of Chemical Engineering at MIT and the senior author of the new study.

“We don’t usually think of plastics as being something that you could use to support a building, but with this material, you can enable new things,” he says. “It has very unusual properties and we’re very excited about that.”

The researchers have filed for two patents on the process they used to generate the material, which they describe in a paper published in Nature on February 2, 2022. ...

Polymer scientists have long hypothesized that if polymers could be induced to grow into a two-dimensional sheet, they should form extremely strong, lightweight materials. However, many decades of work in this field led to the conclusion that it was impossible to create such sheets. One reason for this was that if just one monomer rotates up or down, out of the plane of the growing sheet, the material will begin expanding in three dimensions and the sheet-like structure will be lost.

However, in the new study, Strano and his colleagues came up with a new polymerization process that allows them to generate a two-dimensional sheet called a polyaramide. For the monomer building blocks, they use a compound called melamine, which contains a ring of carbon and nitrogen atoms. Under the right conditions, these monomers can grow in two dimensions, forming disks. These disks stack on top of each other, held together by hydrogen bonds between the layers, which make the structure very stable and strong.

“Instead of making a spaghetti-like molecule, we can make a sheet-like molecular plane, where we get molecules to hook themselves together in two dimensions,” Strano says. “This mechanism happens spontaneously in solution, and after we synthesize the material, we can easily spin-coat thin films that are extraordinarily strong.”

Because the material self-assembles in solution, it can be made in large quantities by simply increasing the quantity of the starting materials. The researchers showed that they could coat surfaces with films of the material, which they call 2DPA-1.

“With this advance, we have planar molecules that are going to be much easier to fashion into a very strong, but extremely thin material,” Strano says.

The researchers found that the new material’s elastic modulus — a measure of how much force it takes to deform a material — is between four and six times greater than that of bulletproof glass. They also found that its yield strength, or how much force it takes to break the material, is twice that of steel, even though the material has only about one-sixth the density of steel.

More...

I'm sure our Dear Leader is anxious to get ahold of some of this stuff, to make lightweight replica movie props that are easier to carry around on Halloween. Or whenever the mood strikes.
I was reading about this too. Wait until they start building guns and canons out of it! Then they will outlaw it. Lib logic!

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I was reading about this too. Wait until they start building guns and canons out of it! Then they will outlaw it. Lib logic!
Come to think of it, I believe the problem with printing out a complete gun on a 3D printer is that the explosive force of firing a bullet is too powerful for most thermoplastics to survive? Doesn't look like that would be a problem with this stuff.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Come to think of it, I believe the problem with printing out a complete gun on a 3D printer is that the explosive force of firing a bullet is too powerful for most thermoplastics to survive? Doesn't look like that would be a problem with this stuff.
It was sounding like this material was solving some of those issues. I think heat was another big issue.

Necessity is the mother of invention and not Al Gore.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

More...

Why are you posting about this schitt when we have people walking around unmasked and children that haven't been vaccinated?
:mad:

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
"researchers found that the new material’s elastic modulus — a measure of how much force it takes to deform a material — is between four and six times greater than that of bulletproof glass.

I deformed your deadbeat sister's elastic modulus last night.

Alex.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And if anyone calls my mom a conceivable industry, we’ll have to have an good ol fashioned dust up.
She's inconceivable, as she's been filled like a jelly donut numerous times without getting pregnant

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
The real questions are.. Is it recyclable and how long will it last in a landfill? Has anyone contacted Greta???

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.