MLB Hall of Fame

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Banned in 1991, started testing in 2003.

He never bet on the Reds to lose and no evidence that he ever bet period other than his own admission.
And Bonds never failed a single steroid test.

It doesn’t matter which way he bet, the consequences for betting on baseball were made perfectly clear in 1919 and he knew what they were.

And if there’s no evidence other than his admission, how do we know he didn’t bet on his team to lose? If there’s one thing that Rose has proved it’s that he’s also a HOF liar.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

It doesn’t matter which way he bet, the consequences for betting on baseball were made perfectly clear in 1919 and he knew what they were.

And if there’s no evidence other than his admission, how do we know he didn’t bet on his team to lose? If there’s one thing that Rose has proved it’s that he’s also a HOF liar.

I never liked the guy but I think we have to acknowledge that he is a HOF player. He was banned from the game and in my opinion that is punishment enough. Just my opinion.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I could care less if they let Bonds and Clemens in. There are plenty of steroid users already in, just not publicly named. My bigger issue is that they are now saying steroids were bad, but didn't let guys in that were clean because they didn't have steroid numbers. Dale Murphy his 398 home runs clean and had everything else. If he had hit 400 he would have been automatic, but was punished because he didn't have steroid numbers. Now they are trying to say steroids matter. I'm sure there are others that were borderline and didn't get in, but if criteria were not based on steroid era numbers would have been in.

Schilling was punished for being a conservative.
Here's Schilling career stats:

W L ERA G GS SV IP SO WHIP
MLB Career Stats 216 146 3.46 569 436 22 3261.0 3116 1.14

While they aren't overwhelming, especially compared to most of the recent inductees, it's actually pretty similar to Pedro Martinez's numbers
W L ERA G GS SV IP SO WHIP
MLB Career Stats 219 100 2.93 476 409 3 2827.1 3154 1.05

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Rookie card

1024973210_ea718d39d7_n.jpg

sometime later...

1200x0.jpg

You do the math!

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018

The Case Against Barry Bonds Getting Into The Hall Of Fame

Really?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Bonds had 3 MVP’s before he even touched roids.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018

Did you know that Pete Rose remains to this day the all-time Major League leader in hits (4,256 / #1 in Top 1,000 / 3,000 Hits Club leader / Significant Hits table), games played (3,562 / #1 in Top 1,000), at-bats (14,053 / #1 in Top 1,000), and singles (3,215)? Charlie Hustle has won three World Series rings (1975, 1976, 1980), three batting titles (1968, 1969, 1973), one Most Valuable Player Award (1973), two Gold Gloves (1969 & 1970), the Rookie of the Year Award, made seventeen All-Star appearances at an unequaled five different positions (2B, LF, RF, 3B, & 1B), once played in 745 consecutive games (#12 All-Time / 09-02-1978 thru 08-23-1983), had a 44-game hitting streak in 1978 (#3 All-Time / Pete Rose Streak) and is the only player in big league history to play at least five-hundred games at five separate positions (1B, 2B, 3B, LF and RF)?

Before he bet on baseball....supposedly! And did this without roids.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Did you know that Pete Rose remains to this day the all-time Major League leader in hits (4,256 / #1 in Top 1,000 / 3,000 Hits Club leader / Significant Hits table), games played (3,562 / #1 in Top 1,000), at-bats (14,053 / #1 in Top 1,000), and singles (3,215)? Charlie Hustle has won three World Series rings (1975, 1976, 1980), three batting titles (1968, 1969, 1973), one Most Valuable Player Award (1973), two Gold Gloves (1969 & 1970), the Rookie of the Year Award, made seventeen All-Star appearances at an unequaled five different positions (2B, LF, RF, 3B, & 1B), once played in 745 consecutive games (#12 All-Time / 09-02-1978 thru 08-23-1983), had a 44-game hitting streak in 1978 (#3 All-Time / Pete Rose Streak) and is the only player in big league history to play at least five-hundred games at five separate positions (1B, 2B, 3B, LF and RF)?

Before he bet on baseball....supposedly! And did this without roids.
No one has ever said Rose's on-field accomplishments don't warrant his induction, on the first ballot of course. You're making an argument that doesn't exist.

I was just making a point that Bonds already had a HOF career before he did any of that.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
No one has ever said the Bonds wasn't a great player before roids. You're making an argument that doesn't exist as well. My point is that the HOF should be heavily weighted on that point and less on the sort of thing Rose and Bonds are being black balled for. Or at least be consistent. Mantle missed a series of games because of an injection site infection....and not for a vaccine.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No one has ever said the Bonds wasn't a great player before roids. You're making an argument that doesn't exist as well. My point is that the HOF should be heavily weighted on that point and less on the sort of thing Rose and Bonds are being black balled for. Or at least be consistent. Mantle missed a series of games because of an injection site infection....and not for a vaccine.
Again, it was made clear in 1919 that gambling on baseball would get you permanently removed from baseball. Rose knew the consequences and did it anyway. Then he blew his chance at forgiveness when he blatantly lied to everyone about it for decades. He only finally admitted to what everyone already knew because he thought it was his last shot at the HOF. Even a nutswinger like you has to believe he blew his shot because of his arrogance.

He'll get in, but he has to die first. None of his stats have been taken away.

BTW, at least at the end of his career, Rose corked his bats. Several of his game used bats have been x-rayed and found with cork. I hope that doesn't blow your image of the man as Jesus Christ in cleats.

peterosebat.jpg

This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

He called me ‘Corky’: Florida man says he corked baseball bats for Pete Rose in 1984

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I don't understand the difference between Bonds and Gaylord Perry except that one is in the Hall of Fame and one is not. If cheating (using a performance-enhancing substance) is supposed to prohibit induction into the Hall how is Perry a member? He is actually celebrated for the way in which he fooled everyone for decades.

Early in his career, he was about to be sent back to the minors when he made the choice to break the rules. That decision led to a long and successful stint as a big-league pitcher and resulted in a place in the Hall. Which is supposed to be closed to cheaters. There is no way he was a Hall of Fame-caliber pitcher with a dry baseball in his hand.

Perhaps I am missing the difference in the two players but it seems like hypocrisy (or at least inconsistency) on the part of voters.

G8rBob in Tx.

Mar 4, 2019
I don't understand the difference between Bonds and Gaylord Perry except that one is in the Hall of Fame and one is not. If cheating (using a performance-enhancing substance) is supposed to prohibit induction into the Hall how is Perry a member? He is actually celebrated for the way in which he fooled everyone for decades.

Early in his career, he was about to be sent back to the minors when he made the choice to break the rules. That decision led to a long and successful stint as a big-league pitcher and resulted in a place in the Hall. Which is supposed to be closed to cheaters. There is no way he was a Hall of Fame-caliber pitcher with a dry baseball in his hand.

Perhaps I am missing the difference in the two players but it seems like hypocrisy (or at least inconsistency) on the part of voters.
Speaking of hypocrisy, neither Bonds or Clemens ever failed a test for PEDs, Big Papi and Manny Ramirez failed in 2003 per ESPN.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Speaking of hypocrisy, neither Bonds or Clemens ever failed a test for PEDs

well then..
Not guilty! - obviously.
It must stand to reason that all of the investigations were just witch hunts.
Vote them in!

but seriously...
one of the intangibles that goes into the HOF voters heads/thinking is..
Both Bonds and Clemens were not nice guys... in other words, they were both tools.
It shouldn't be a factor, but Bonds hated talking to the press.

Being cordial is not officially an HOF requirement, but when you aren't popular with the voters, there's a good chance that they may not vote you in solely based on your stats and impact on the game.

(see: Shilling, Curt - (R)*

R = Republican

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Again, it was made clear in 1919 that gambling on baseball would get you permanently removed from baseball. Rose knew the consequences and did it anyway. Then he blew his chance at forgiveness when he blatantly lied to everyone about it for decades. He only finally admitted to what everyone already knew because he thought it was his last shot at the HOF. Even a nutswinger like you has to believe he blew his shot because of his arrogance.

He'll get in, but he has to die first. None of his stats have been taken away.

BTW, at least at the end of his career, Rose corked his bats. Several of his game used bats have been x-rayed and found with cork. I hope that doesn't blow your image of the man as Jesus Christ in cleats.

peterosebat.jpg

This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

He called me ‘Corky’: Florida man says he corked baseball bats for Pete Rose in 1984

I don't know why you feel the need to be so condescending with your posts. Did Rose cornhole you mom or something? I'm sure there are plenty in the HOF that aren't squeaky clean. Corked or not that dude was one of the greatest to ever play the game and deserves to be in and not after he is dead.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
There should be a Sports Hall of Fame/Shame, totally bypass all the other ones. Someone is missing a business opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator