Monday Press Conference 9/26

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I hope you guys realize that a lot of this is coach speak and i can guarantee this isn't the message he relays to his players/coaches.

Also, as much as I want to blame the coaches (Nord, Nuss and Summers especially) the players still have to execute. Dawson losing Hurd on the wheel route and Tabor biting on the double move are great examples. Plenty of blame to go around to coaches and players.

Just to be clear, I still want to fire that trio of assistants.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
What would you like him to say?

"We coached poorly and we played poorly in all facets of the game. Our special teams were pathetic, as was our offensive and defensive efforts in the second half. Our DBs should have spent more time during game week getting their heads right and studying film and less time talking trash. Had they done so, they might not have gotten burned so often during the game. I told all coaches and players after the game that effective immediately, there is an open competition for all positions and all staff jobs. Guys that don't produce will be on the bench and coaches that don't produce will be fired. By the way, I just fired the O-line coach and the special teams coach so if there are any qualified candidates interested in these openings send me your resume." Coach Mac

How's that?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Sharpe said the coaches wanted them to be able to run the ball out of that bad field position in the 2nd half but it just didn't stick.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
First of all, thanks for wading through that and posting for those like me who couldn't stand to listen through the fluff for the substance.

Secondly, re the quote below, which is as far as I have gotten, are you kidding me? His response to their hurt and disappointment was "we'll see where we go from here"?
I thought he was the coach, not some observer. Great motivation.coach. What a plan. Here's an idea. Make some corrections.
Almost to me sounds like he's putting a lot of this loss on the players and not so much the coaches....both were at fault.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Sharpe said the coaches wanted them to be able to run the ball out of that bad field position in the 2nd half but it just didn't stick.

Why were you replying to me in this situation?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This was a press conference, not a confession. I understand the feelings expressed, but no coach worth his salt is going to stand up in that forum and show us this...

:alone:

...nor is he going to throw the staff or players completely under the bus. Right now, he's got to have the staff working to make the corrections that are needed, not fighting him and one another. Same kind of deal with the players. He probably said as much as he needed outside the locker room right now. But they still have to play the schedule remaining and want to play for him. In the long term, if there is one, he's got to be able to recruit kids to come play and hire assistants to replace those that leave or are sh!t-canned. If he, or any coach, panders to the wants of the fan base after an exasperating loss, he cuts his own throat and may as well post ads nationally that this place is a dumpster fire and those of substance (potential coaches and players) should steer clear. Yeah, it's bad right now, but I don't want Mac to make it any worse.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That may get interesting in the 2nd half against Muschamp Jr. at Vanderbilt. He loves to go to that Jumbo package stuff when the other plays aren't working on offense.
Maybe we can draft some TUBA players again.

I'm expecting a guard or two to get some reps on the DL. This mini D line shiiite isn't going to work.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
This was a press conference, not a confession. I understand the feelings expressed, but no coach worth his salt is going to stand up in that forum and show us this...

...nor is he going to throw the staff or players completely under the bus. Right now, he's got to have the staff working to make the corrections that are needed, not fighting him and one another. Same kind of deal with the players. He probably said as much as he needed outside the locker room right now. But they still have to play the schedule remaining and want to play for him. In the long term, if there is one, he's got to be able to recruit kids to come play and hire assistants to replace those that leave or are sh!t-canned. If he, or any coach, panders to the wants of the fan base after an exasperating loss, he cuts his own throat and may as well post ads nationally that this place is a dumpster fire and those of substance (potential coaches and players) should steer clear. Yeah, it's bad right now, but I don't want Mac to make it any worse.

This guy gets it

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What Mac says doesn't amount to a hill of beans and is a complete waste of time....there is nothing on God's green earth cheaper than talk.

We need action! If Mac can't see the problem, he can't fix the problem and even if he sees the problems it doesn't look like he can fix them.....Some people aren't cut out to be Head Football coaches in SEC type competition.

If you can't recruit elite players, you had better be able to coach them to play above their heads....Mac can, so far, do neither. The jury is still out, but it looks like he is in way over his head.

This game was an abomination. Special teams coach should be fired or at least reassigned immediately. The Oline is a trainwreck. The Dbacks were a friggin joke. How many delay of game situations did we have? The onside kick was at the wrong time and had zero chance of success. Callaway's idiotic fair catches kept us in poor field position, yet they kept sending him out there.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

I'm not with you on this one. Calling out coaches and players at a press conference isn't pandering to the fans, as you put it. Many people would call it accountability so long as it's done properly. Hell, you may even get some future stud recruits and potential quality coaches WANT to come play here and coach here when they see that the HC gives a she-at enough to publicly demand better of all involved. Plenty of successful coaches have called themselves, their staff and their team out much more directly than Mac did, including Spurrier and Saban to name a few.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not with you on this one. Calling out coaches and players at a press conference isn't pandering to the fans, as you put it. Many people would call it accountability so long as it's done properly. Hell, you may even get some future stud recruits and potential quality coaches WANT to come play here and coach here when they see that the HC gives a she-at enough to publicly demand better of all involved. Plenty of successful coaches have called themselves, their staff and their team out much more directly than Mac did, including Spurrier and Saban to name a few.
"Properly" is a key term. Got no problem with him taking responsibility, nor getting on the coaches and players (to a certain extent where they are concerned). I agree that he can and should be a lot more direct in these situations. Expecting him to say things like we were out-coached or if such and such isn't fixed, Coach X will be replaced and other such admissions of guilt, extremes if you will, are what I'm referring to and I just don't believe you put that kind of laundry out on the line. As pissed-off fans, we'd probably like to hear things like that and more for our own sense of justice, emotional soothing, or whatever, but even a poor coach shouldn't do that IMO.

Now, I do think he is too glib in many of his pressers and in the one yesterday, he sounded more like a therapist than a ball coach. At this juncture, I think if he succumbs to either extreme (too hard or too soft), then he's probably done. I think there's a balance, with a lean toward coming across a little more forceful than he does that would be better received, from without as well as within. Of course, there are times when I listen to something he says and I scratch my head and wonder if he's just that abstract a thinker or if there has been a problem with mushrooms! There's room for improvement, no doubt.

Last edited:

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I don't expect a coach to get up and say "well Sharpe didn't block worth a flip, Tabor couldn't cover, Applebees threw a pick, and that's why we lost." What I would appreciate it some sort of ownership and acknowledgement of what just happened. He doesn't have to say he is going to fire people or whatever but don't get up there and act like we were a couple of plays away from winning this thing and oh yeah did you guys notice how great the crowd was, and this guy has a leg, and we'll get that cleaned up, and ole hee haw by golly we're the Gators and it sure is fun to be here. Own what just happened, you just got outcoached by Butch Jones(!) and tell us you recognize it and you're going to work on it. Make us believe it bothers you. There are times I feel like he thinks that since he's getting paid either way, who cares?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The most embarrassing part of the game was watching Josh Dobbs, who is one of the worst passers I've ever seen, have a career passing day (in one half) against our supposedly vaunted defense and elite secondary. That's even more embarrassing than getting outcoached by Butch Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator