Mullen’s scheme

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There is no "the guy" outside of just a few, none of them were coming to UF.

I hope and expect that there is no "scheme", but a preferred method of playing football which will be adjusted according to the skills and talents on the team.

Surely this staff is developing players in ways the previous one never even thought of. That will improve play which will result in more victories and for me a happier fan.

I would hate to win all our games like we beat KY, luck.

Maybe we need to run the triple option or something similar since it negates the talent advantage on defense.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The unique thing about Bama, the thing that stresses opponents to crack is that in Bama they face a nationally top player at every position. Eleven of the best on O & D all over the field.

This is preposterous. No one ever facing a UAL player EVER thinks about their national ranking when they were in high school. It is silly to even suggest that.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The unique thing about Bama, the thing that stresses opponents to crack is that in Bama they face a nationally top player at every position. Eleven of the best on O & D all over the field.

This is preposterous. No one ever facing a UAL player EVER thinks about their national ranking when they were in high school. It is silly to even suggest that.

Puleez, Insti ? Recheck my post = It says nothing about any paper-ranking. It says at every position the player they duel against is one of the top, best, most athletic in the nation. Like nobody else Bama hits with the everywhere 11 that's most frequently better FB athletes. Heck, their backups would be starters on the teams they play - that's generally speaking of course.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Puleez, Insti ? Recheck my post = It says nothing about any paper-ranking. It says at every position the player they duel against is one of the top, best, most athletic in the nation. Like nobody else Bama hits with the everywhere 11 that's most frequently better FB athletes. Heck, their backups would be starters on the teams they play - that's generally speaking of course.

Fair enough, but of course a player is not thinking about that on the field still.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Fair enough, but of course a player is not thinking about that on the field still.

On the field he's certainly thinking about what he saw in film-study plus what he's experienced trying to outdo that guy. Don't you think Sabin would struggle taking UF's guys trying to beat Bama's guys.?
Of course this is just me doing piddly talk. :cool:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This team is trash. Physically and mentally. Total rebuild. That’s not pumping. Per your point, Toney was out for the season after his first big hit last year. No reason to expect differently this year. He’s more worried about wannabe gang-banging than becoming a champion. He’s a microcosm of the entire team at this point. Knuckle heads don’t run offenses at UF.
This team is full of players that are going to play on Sunday on both sides of the ball. Total re-build? What a total bunch of crap.

Just like the last 10 years when we sucked on the field, we still were top 5 in players drafted and were top 2 or 3 in 2017 of schools with the most players on opening day rosters. WR, RB, D-line, O-Line, Defensive backs, etc, etc, there are a lot of future NFLers on this team.

If the team continues to suck that's on Mullen, period. You know why? Because he's the head coach getting paid 6 million a year. You don't get 6 million a year to hopefully compete in 3-4 years. Ask Charlie Strong about that.

Total re-build my azz.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
This team is full of players that are going to play on Sunday on both sides of the ball. Total re-build? What a total bunch of crap.

Just like the last 10 years when we sucked on the field, we still were top 5 in players drafted and were top 2 or 3 in 2017 of schools with the most players on opening day rosters. WR, RB, D-line, O-Line, Defensive backs, etc, etc, there are a lot of future NFLers on this team.

If the team continues to suck that's on Mullen, period. You know why? Because he's the head coach getting paid 6 million a year. You don't get 6 million a year to hopefully compete in 3-4 years. Ask Charlie Strong about that.

Total re-build my azz.

Show me the players on the Gator side that would start at Georgia or Bama. I’ll wait. And wait. Oh? There are none? Okay. I’m right, you’re wrong.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Show me the players on the Gator side that would start at Georgia or Bama. I’ll wait. And wait. Oh? There are none? Okay. I’m right, you’re wrong.
Not saying we are stacked at all position groups, but we beat out Bama for EJ and Copeland. We may have the best group of receivers in the SEC. We are stacked at RB as well. D line should be very good. Starting corners are pretty good. Question marks on QB, O line, depth.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. We may have the best group of receivers in the SEC. .
Can they block?

Billy Latsko played WR first for Mullinz. Talking about their receiving talent is silly. You guys act like youve never seen a Mullinz offense.

You guys will be blaming Franks and EJ though by December.

Last edited:

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can they block?

Billy Latsko played WR first for Mullinz. Talking about their receiving talent is silly. You guys act like youve never seen a Mullinz offense.

You guys will be blaming Franks and EJ though by December.

Of course we will be run heavy, but to act like we won’t pass at all is silly. I am not saying Mullen will lead us to the promised land, but let’s at least let him coach a few games before we bring out the pitchforks.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I wouldn't be quite that generous. What has Heggie, Grimes, Polite, Toney etc. ever done to make you think they would start at Bama. From what I can see its mostly just big talk by us Gator fans and nothing that has actually happened against top competition on the field for the most part.

It reminds me of the Taylor talk a little when he was a true freshman and then he proceeded to get destroyed by the speedy NFL level pass rushers he faced in the latter part of our schedule that year while Bama had a true freshman O lineman routinely shutting out top NFL D line talent in games.

People can dream all they want but we don't have the talent the top 4 or so teams in the SEC do and we also don't have the defensive talent anymore that Mac inherited from Muschamp.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I don't see us passing downfield over defenses early in the season but I see our WRs frequently on fly routes to create space we can dump the ball to playmakers and a TE. Short routes being the primary target until Mullen sees what our OL can do against good teams. Many plays that are meant to be pass will bring someone in motion past the QB to draw the D in and from the booth our spies will tell Mullen what's opening up. If the team is well trained and knows their roles Mullen will have the opportunity to work em silly. I hope to see our QB rolling out often because that makes sense to me. Nuss did not agree but I think Mullen sees it that way.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
People can dream all they want but we don't have the talent the top 4 or so teams in the SEC do and we also don't have the defensive talent anymore that Mac inherited from Muschamp.
I don't have a good answer. If our secondary is lock-down our DL will look better. I imagine there's only so much 3 down linemen can do and that LBs wil be the key for us. That's kind of scary since it seems our LBs are the most inexperienced. Not sure what's going to happen. One thing for sure, the staff has to turn it up in recruiting.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We may have the best group of receivers in the SEC.

I know the SEC network etc. feeds into stuff like this but I kind of look at this like I did all that O line talk before last season.

We don't even have a receiver on the roster who had 500 yards last season or has ever had 600 yards I think in a season. The big new name was the 3rd or 4th option on his prior team and Grimes has like 2 catches to his name.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know the SEC network etc. feeds into stuff like this but I kind of look at this like I did all that O line talk before last season.

We don't even have a receiver on the roster who had 500 yards last season or has ever had 600 yards I think in a season. The big new name was the 3rd or 4th option on his prior team and Grimes has like 2 catches to his name.

That’s a fair point. I really am talking about potential. When was the last time we had receivers with the talent of Cleveland, Grimes, Van Jefferson, Toney, and Copeland. Cleveland we have already seen make big plays and is a blue chip prospet. Grimes is a 5 Star. Van Jefferson is somewhat of a proven commodity. Toney is electric in the open field. Copeland is a 4 Star prospect that Bama wanted. I don’t think there is any doubt about the talent and potential of this group. The question is how will Mullen utilize this group, and do we have a QB that can get them the ball.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
To be honest I think Trask gives us the best opportunity with some EJ mixed in...but that’s just from the replays I’ve seen from practice...if someone had seen something else I’m open to discussion

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I may be off base here but I don’t thing Law has much faith in the Mullinz offense.
It’s just a vibe I’m getting :dunno:

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
I wouldn't be quite that generous. What has Heggie, Grimes, Polite, Toney etc. ever done to make you think they would start at Bama. From what I can see its mostly just big talk by us Gator fans and nothing that has actually happened against top competition on the field for the most part.

It reminds me of the Taylor talk a little when he was a true freshman and then he proceeded to get destroyed by the speedy NFL level pass rushers he faced in the latter part of our schedule that year while Bama had a true freshman O lineman routinely shutting out top NFL D line talent in games.

Not a one of these guys would have started on the Gators 1996 team, much less 2018 Bama or Dawgs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator