Mullen Introductory Press Conference Thread: 3 PM EST

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Does this feel like the Meyer or Spurrier hires to me? No. Spurrier was a huge deal to US but an 8-4 Duke coach wasn’t the big hot thing nationally. I was elated and bought season tickets which I kept for 24 years until a job change made them useless for us. Then that first OK State game - and I knew my world had changed for the better. (Just remember he got blown out at Ut a few weeks later and at F$U. Richard Fain is still looking for Lawrence Dawsey.)

Meyer was, obviously the right person at the right place at the right time. And we wondered if he would choose us over Notre Dame. 8-5 his first year.

Does this feel like Muschamp or Mac? No, because we know him. Some of that is good, some isn’t. But he seems to have changed for the better in 8 years. That said, this feels far better to me than either of those. He has HC experience, glorious success here, developed great QBs, etc.

And it feels NOTHING like Zook, a formerly demoted assistant who was a nice guy but a babbling goof clearly in over his head from day #1.

Urbs was 9-3 first year not 8-5.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I'm the same as many here in that I was pissed when I heard he was hired b/c I wanted Frost. Then I heard the Kelly (chickened out) and Frost (not interested) stories and then BANG! Dan was here, looking great, lots of energy, Gator chomping and flashing that huge 2009 natty ring. Loved his handling of the presser, especially with my being dumbed-down by 3 years of speech-class failure MacTard. I instantly realized that here is a guy who knows WTF he is doing, knows how to be a successful SEC-caliber HBC, understands strength and conditioning, understands recruiting and totally understands the need for these young men to have a real leader who will be demanding of them to follow their teaching on the field, in class and off-duty. In short, a LEADER. The last guy we had was a soft imposter of a coach that didn't measure up in any of these categories. Home-run hire? Maybe not, but I'll take the 3-run triple that CDM looks to be. I'm OK now with where we're headed and look forward to some real no-BS leadership resulting in actually beating teams' azzes on the field. The thought of not being out-muscled and out-coached by every team we play... refreshing.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen following the Meyer plan for success without the chest pains. 4-6 seconds all you got. S&C will make a MAJOR leap this year. Mullen is going to make our guys TOUGH. Just you wait and see baby!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.