Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
they just needed a practice hard

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
And finally, should he by some miracle (Trask) win an actual ship, he gets a bronze statue next spurrier and Tebow.
First, he's not winning anything with Trask.
Secondly, if he were to somehow win a championship he'd be immortalized. I'm not sure that 1 vaults him above Spurrier, but he'd definitely surpass Meyer. Considering where we are now and to bring this team back from the dead would be remarkable.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
"Along with the buyout payment to Muschamp in November, Florida paid former coach Jim McElwain $3.75 million on Dec. 1, another $250,000 on Feb. 15 and $1 million on July 1. The Gators still owe McElwain $1 million on July 1 each of the next two years, before a final payment of $500,000 on July 1, 2021."

How the heck did college football coaches start getting these kinds of contracts? What other job would get you millions of dollars without working if you do so terribly at it and end up getting fired? Let's say as a physician, I am very bitter lol.

Supply and demand.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What's so ridiculous about these massive contracts for Power 5 football coaches is that if the goal is to make the top ten then 80% of them fail every year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Supply and demand.

And stupidity

Coaching salaries aren't even close to following a private sector (non crooked ones anyway) supply and demand scale in reality. Its also so subjective it leads to out of control salaries that aren't justified. Kind of reminds me of the times when Japan was kicking butt in business so good yet their big company CEOs made like 1/8 the pay of our CEOs in many cases despite the business results. The real problem was the USA CEO pay was never justified in the first place and was set up to reward bad results also in many cases just like college coaching salaries now.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The real question is that if UF had not pursued Mullen, would he be the UT coach right now?

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
And stupidity

Coaching salaries aren't even close to following a private sector (non crooked ones anyway) supply and demand scale in reality. Its also so subjective it leads to out of control salaries that aren't justified. Kind of reminds me of the times when Japan was kicking butt in business so good yet their big company CEOs made like 1/8 the pay of our CEOs in many cases despite the business results. The real problem was the USA CEO pay was never justified in the first place and was set up to reward bad results also in many cases just like college coaching salaries now.

Stupid or not, the perception is there. Hence the tightened sphinchters of AD’s and the overpaying caused by bad businessmen in the athletic depts.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stupid or not, the perception is there. Hence the tightened sphinchters of AD’s and the overpaying caused by bad businessmen in the athletic depts.

I think Nebraska and us overpaid. Kind of hard to make the argument that UCLA did, being Kelly's max years are only 4.6, which is about the same as James Franklin. If your a good coach (top 25 salary) those start at 3.5, top 10 salaries start at 5, top 5 salaries start at 6. Has been that way for a few years now.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That contract is a little much. He never had much of a poker face when it came to letting on that this was his dream job. I think we could've gotten away with more favorable terms. Six years?? Why so long? Look around the Power Five -- how many coaches have been in their current positions for longer than six years? Most jobs have some sort of probationary period before the full benefits kick in. How about no penalty if fired without cause before the third season starts? Or the second season, at least.

I see where he gets a $100k bonus if we make a bowl game. ANY bowl game. Considering our financial resources and recruiting base, he ought to take a $100k hit if we don't make a bowl game. I'm not one who necessarily expects us to be in the playoffs every year, but IMO seven wins should be the minimum acceptable performance, given our established record of success in the past.

We should regularly be getting 9 wins, we schedule 3 cupcakes, we should have wins against UK, Vandy, Missouri and South Carolina regularly. Then with LSU, Tennessee, SEC West rotational opponent, UGA, and FSU.. we should regularly go 3 for 5 in those games with a exception every now and then.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
they just needed a practice hard-on
giphy.gif

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First, he's not winning anything with Trask.
Secondly, if he were to somehow win a championship he'd be immortalized. I'm not sure that 1 vaults him above Spurrier, but he'd definitely surpass Meyer. Considering where we are now and to bring this team back from the dead would be remarkable.
I'm winning the lottery tonight!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The real question is that if UF had not pursued Mullen, would he be the UT coach right now?
Yes, and imagine how we wiuld be laughing at them.

He was going to be named the morning Ole Jeremy Stricklin flew out there.

He was Tinerc's 8th pick.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That contract is a little much. He never had much of a poker face when it came to letting on that this was his dream job. I think we could've gotten away with more favorable terms. Six years?? Why so long? Look around the Power Five -- how many coaches have been in their current positions for longer than six years? Most jobs have some sort of probationary period before the full benefits kick in. How about no penalty if fired without cause before the third season starts? Or the second season, at least.

I see where he gets a $100k bonus if we make a bowl game. ANY bowl game. Considering our financial resources and recruiting base, he ought to take a $100k hit if we don't make a bowl game. I'm not one who necessarily expects us to be in the playoffs every year, but IMO seven wins should be the minimum acceptable performance, given our established record of success in the past.

I actually give Stricklin a little credit with how he structured the deal. He made it to where there is no pressure to renegotiate the thing after a couple of years of false hope and did the buyout where there is no reason to keep him for a 4th year to save money as its a straight 12 million buyout regardless - no matter if its done after year 3 or year 4.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Tennessee would have hired him for likely the same type money. Then we would have ended up with Pruitt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.