MUST READ: Anonymous players on end of Butters era

Would firing Mac "for cause" (no buyout) have hurt the hiring of future coaching prospects?

• Yes

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 84.6%

• Total voters

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The candor of those interviews man... it’s interviews like those that reaffirm my belief that fans generally know what’s going on - you don’t have to be some locker room insider to know the players perception of a coach or “how things really are”. Both interviews mirrored my thinking almost perfectly.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Just went back and started reading the whole series, and DAMN! The whole article on Grier and then the comments about Callaway are freaking eye opening. I don't see Butters getting another crack at a FBS HC job. And rightly so.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just went back and started reading the whole series, and DAMN! The whole article on Grier and then the comments about Callaway are freaking eye opening. I don't see Butters getting another crack at a FBS HC job. And rightly so.
Someone hired Zook.and Muschimp, and we hired Mullinz the year after he lost to South Alabama.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Someone hired Zook.and Muschimp, and we hired Mullinz the year after he lost to South Alabama.
Yeah, but none of them were/are as much of an incompetent, favorite-playing, psychotic, insecure buffoon as Butters. The only places Butters deserves to be is on the unemployment line or working for a similarly psychotic/insecure buffoon line, say, Harbaugh.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, Butters is the Don Devoe of football. For those too young to remember, Devoe was hired after they ran off Norm Sloan and he damn near ruined an up and coming basketball program. Players revolted, attendance went to hell, etc..
Butters is far and away the worst football coach we’ve had in my lifetime...including every damn interim coach we’ve had.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Coach McElwain was someone we targeted from the beginning of the search," Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley told the school's official website. "The more we worked through the process and did our due diligence, coupled with our meeting and conversations with him and those around him, it was obvious he is the right person to lead the Florida Gator football program."

"He has a proven track record on the offensive side of the ball, has coached in the SEC, won two national championships and has had success as a head coach," Foley told the school's website. "He has recruited the South and the state of Florida and has spent time coaching at the highest level in the NFL."

"He has an engaging personality and is someone who can connect with a variety of audiences, and he operates with a high level of integrity. I welcome him and his family to The Gator Nation, and I'm looking forward to working alongside him and his staff as they build a championship program both on and off the field."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11977425/jim-mcelwain-becomes-florida-gators-coach

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, I've paid for access over there because I really want to read all of this. I'll be sharing some bits of it here, but I want to be respectful of pay material. And in return to insidethegators.com, I will say that articles like this don't come up very often from Gator journalists, so when they actually do their jobs, I think it's nice to support them. Hence, consider signing up over there, at least for a while.

https://insidethegators.com/subscribe

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
“At Florida you expect to get the best training. Hell, they sell that to you when you are being recruited and then you get here and get the training that we were getting. That's the one thing I shake my head about because that is one thing MAC could have controlled but he didn't care. It isn't like players and other people weren't complaining to him about it.”

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Okay, I've paid for access over there because I really want to read all of this. I'll be sharing some bits of it here, but I want to be respectful of pay material. And in return to insidethegators.com, I will say that articles like this don't come up very often from Gator journalists, so when they actually do their jobs, I think it's nice to support them. Hence, consider signing up over there, at least for a while.

Exactly why I dropped the dime for it today. Solid work.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This section on Will Grier verifies every damn thing we've speculated on. We were absolutely right.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
bc he knew UF would give him two extensions almost immediately and pay him far far more than he is worth, which we did.

I'm not entirely discounting that, but I truly think McElwain was arrogant enough to actually believe he'd do well here. Beyond his obvious coaching deficiencies, I think his biggest issue, which has been echoed by someone I know that works closely with the UAA, is that he had the feeling that by landing the job at UF, he'd finally arrived and been rewarded for all those years as an assistant. Everything from the no socks, to the lazy recruiting, to the way he treated office personnel, even his no care attitude on his teeth, support that. I think this guy genuinely believes he's good at his job, and would just stroll right in and be a celebrity. He's already dropped hints about getting another shot somewhere. Lunacy.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
“At Florida you expect to get the best training. Hell, they sell that to you when you are being recruited and then you get here and get the training that we were getting. That's the one thing I shake my head about because that is one thing MAC could have controlled but he didn't care. It isn't like players and other people weren't complaining to him about it.”

And you KNOW the athletic department knew what was going on. They had to! They've seen Spurrier's S&C program, Zook's, Meyer's, and Muschamp's. And then all of a sudden they're doing yoga and stretch bands? And going to the wire w/ FAU and East Carolina? Then they give out raises and extensions?

AD: "Hey, we want 2 more years of this!! Here's a contract extension! Keep up the good work!"

UN-F'ING-BELIEVABLE!

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, Butters is the Don Devoe of football. For those too young to remember, Devoe was hired after they ran off Norm Sloan and he damn near ruined an up and coming basketball program. Players revolted, attendance went to hell, etc..
Butters is far and away the worst football coach we’ve had in my lifetime...including every damn interim coach we’ve had.

I think my disdain for WM is well documented. And I'v always had him as my worst hire. But between last season, the revelations toward the end of the year, and now this, I'm afraid the lines have crossed. Guess I'll have to spend the weekend completely redoing my Finkle-esque room.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All I know is Foley was so smitten with Mac after interviewing him he would have paid anything to get him. Anything.

The only explanation I can think of at this point is a sexual relationship between the two.

As I've said before McElwain was removed off the board twice to be put back on by Foley.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Only happens when they are allowed to do so by the organization. Wouldn't see this at this time last year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What does that mean?

Gator reporters are going to trash a coach unless the AAU have given their ok. Just like you knew we were looking when the guy on 850 was talking about replaceing Mac less then 30 minutes after the Tennessee victory.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator reporters are going to trash a coach unless the AAU have given their ok. Just like you knew we were looking when the guy on 850 was talking about replaceing Mac less then 30 minutes after the Tennessee victory.

They do this series every year. Now I think that this one was particularly brutal. But because Mac was Historically bad.

And it wasn’t reporters trashing him. It was players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.