MUST READ: Anonymous players on end of Butters era

Would firing Mac "for cause" (no buyout) have hurt the hiring of future coaching prospects?

• Yes

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 84.6%

• Total voters

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Then here comes MAC, instead of talking about how this is one of our big rivals and if we win it we still got a chance to reach all our goals and getting us fired up to play, all he talked about right before the game was what was going on with him and the rumors of him getting fired. Instead of letting us put that to the side and focus on the game, he made all the BS about him the center point. He was like, 'don't worry about me, put your mind on the game.' It's like, we already did that, now you brought it back up. The atmosphere in the room went from a 10 to a two. It wasn't only you could see guys reaction to it, some guys were speaking out about it, how is he going to bring all that BS up...Going in we were hyped up ready to play and he took all the air out of us...We were ready for it to be over after he talked to us pre-game. Then when we saw the pictures of him laughing coming off the field, we were ready for his ass to be out of there.”

He is a f'n thief! I've said that before and will say it again. He stole money... to get paid what he got paid and do that poorly he is a thief.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
When Grier went out, that was pretty much the end of Florida offensively. How did McElwain carry that around the players? The fact that the offense couldn't get on track.

“He blamed the players. He said the plays needed to be run like the players cared. He really didn't see anything wrong with the play-calling or his scheme, he thought the players needed to execute better.”

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
When one side of the ball is doing well and the other side of the ball struggles over a prolonged period of time, does that cause a division at all between the players on offense and the players on defense?

“You probably would think that, but the division was more between the players coach Muschamp recruited and the players MAC brought in. I don't know, I've never been on a team with a coaching change, so I don't know if it is natural or how it usually goes, but MAC, I don't want to say he liked his players more, but he wanted them to do better. He wanted them to be the stars. He wanted to push coach Muschamp's players to the back, but some of them were so talented he didn't have a choice.

“He tried that with Duke Dawson. The other defensive backs who were already there, they were more established, so he couldn't do anything about that, but you could tell they were trying to push [Chris] Williamson, one of MAC's guys over Dawson, who was one of coach Muschamp's guys. MAC talked about everyone was starting out even, everyone was starting over and he was going to build a a great staff and it was nothing but good days ahead and then he brought in that young secondary coach [Kirk Callahan], and that kind of blew up. The older players knew more about playing the position than he did and then he started having favorites and that caused a whole thing. At one time about half the players in the secondary were ready to transfer if MAC didn't do something so he got rid of him [Callahan].”

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
“I think his biggest thing, where he started losing us [players], was because he wasn't consistent. There was a problem with players showing up late to meetings, practices, workouts, whatever. MAC saw it was getting ridiculous so we have a meeting and he made it this big deal where he said that the next time someone is late, he doesn't care who it is, they won't dress for the next game. The next damn day – that shows you how the respect wasn't there – a starter who came in when he wanted, and was late all the damn time, came in late and he still traveled and played. When you see that happen, you start saying to yourself, 'Why am I gonna bust my ass to be on time and do what's right if it doesn't matter?' There was just no accountability. That starter was one of MAC's guys. He came in with him. He wanted the players he brought in to succeed so bad that he overlooked a lot with them. That caused some dissension. Don't get me wrong, that happens, coaches have favorites, but how do you turn your back on that after saying the day before it wasn't going to be accepted from then on? There's going to be favorites, but you can't be so obvious about it and it can be covered when you're winning, but if it comes to light when you're losing, people start pointing fingers and questioning it."

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Can’t believe I defended Mac

I'm with you

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Entire article posted in the Saloon, by the way.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is this the same anonymous player spouting off? If so he sure held in some bottled frustration.

This is all good stuff, but I've always been ambivalent about pieces built around anonymous sources. That's a very large trust factor.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Is this the same anonymous player spouting off? If so he sure held in some bottled frustration.

This is all good stuff, but I've always been ambivalent about pieces built around anonymous sources. That's a very large trust factor.
Read the full article and report back. This guy isn't making stuff up.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
There are actually six articles to this series. You can pay $1 for a month trial and read all six.. They are anonymous to get the players to give an honest evaluation. I get the impression these remarks are by more than one player.. Seemed pretty straight forward to me..

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Read the full article and report back. This guy isn't making stuff up.
I got at least halfway through. You're right. It's very compelling, very real. Either that or someone is a very good liar. I'm pretty sure that's Ivie doing the talking, but I obviously could be wrong.

One quote stood out early on.

"With the defense Coach Muschamp left us, if Will doesn’t get in trouble we have at least one National Championship ring on our fingers. It’s that simple."

I'm not buying that, but it does draw attention to the deep divide over Mac's actions and what the players saw in Grier. This was the proverbial square peg in the round hole.

It's all heartbreaking, really. These kids came here with an expectation of what would be expected of them. They got handed a hall pass instead. Many, like Ivie, were left shaking their head.

Anyone who hires Mac as a head coach after this debacle deserves what they get.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
“He blamed the players. He said the plays needed to be run like the players cared. He really didn't see anything wrong with the play-calling or his scheme, he thought the players needed to execute better.”
The offense sucked under Grier, too. it's so funny that people only remember one of his six games.

Of course Butterteeth blamed the players.

Why wouldn't you blame the quarterback for not being able to complete a pass when you run the same screen passes on first down every play.

Then the same inside running plays (often draws) on 2nd down like clockwork.

Then the same crossing route WHILE EVEN THE ANNOUNCERS CIRCLE POWELL AND SAY WATCH FOR A PASS TO HIM, while chuckling under their breath, on third down like clockwork.

Why wouldnt that fvkking moron blame the players, and the QB in particular?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"With the defense Coach Muschamp left us, if Will doesn’t get in trouble we have at least one National Championship ring on our fingers. It’s that simple."
That has to be one of the players that got suspended a lot for smoking pot because he sure is stoned even during that interview.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm unclear why you insist on diminishing the value of his play as a redshirt freshman. Even Helen Keller could see the kid had swag.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That has to be one of the players that got suspended a lot for smoking pot because he sure is stoned even during that interview.
He's too quotable to be one of them. He's clearly someone who had more than one season under Muschamp and was gone after 2016.

Ivie.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All I know is Foley was so smitten with Mac after interviewing him he would have paid anything to get him. Anything.

The only explanation I can think of at this point is a sexual relationship between the two.
Who do you think took the shark photo?

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The offense sucked under Grier, too. it's so funny that people only remember one of his six games.

Of course Butterteeth blamed the players.

Why wouldn't you blame the quarterback for not being able to complete a pass when you run the same screen passes on first down every play.

Then the same inside running plays (often draws) on 2nd down like clockwork.

Then the same crossing route WHILE EVEN THE ANNOUNCERS CIRCLE POWELL AND SAY WATCH FOR A PASS TO HIM, while chuckling under their breath, on third down like clockwork.

Why wouldnt that fvkking moron blame the players, and the QB in particular?
Correct, the offense never got above 50 under Grier.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm unclear why you insist on diminishing the value of his play as a redshirt freshman. Even Helen Keller could see the kid had swag.
You're misreading me. He's the most talented quarterback we've had since Tebow and probably the most talented passing quarterback since Leak. He would have broken Wuerrfels records under SOS. His quick release and accuracy are nfl level. Frankly, he is lucky he got away from Chump, Butters and Mullinz.

What I AM saying is talent doesnt fix what is wrong with Sharkfvkker's offense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator