MUST READ: Part 1: Mullen's destructive final years; Part 2: Billy Napier's rebuild

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, there's a problem when getting your ass fired is a HUGE windfall. Butters did something similar in that he lied his ass off to get let go. If these guys knew that getting canned left them with NOTHING (like most people), perhaps their actions would be different.

It's tough to read this article and remember that Mullen is still being paid millions from UF while he skis behind his yacht and lounges on the beach. If only the rest of us could fail that hard.
With all the toxicity that was obviously in the program, why did they pay that arrogant coward his 10 million buyout? As others have said, everything we speculated as outside observers were true. Why did the higher-up insiders reward such lazy bafoonery? Surely they saw some of this up close. How could they not? Probably cause they were being cowards too.

Perhaps Strickland learned his lesson. Napier is practically Mullen's opposite. But still, this is a black eye on Strickland's tenure here that will not heal unless Napier eventually succeeds in winning a championship.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So basically everything the fans thought was going on was 100% true and even worse than we thought

Cool.
Yes, and the lazy a$$hats in the media, I’m referring to you Pat Dooley and some others, call the fans Gidiots and other names when the fans complain. If the media was doing their F’n jobs all the crap that was going on would have come out way sooner and maybe something could have been done before the program got run into the ground.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I asked Donkey to weigh in.

I'm just sitting here laughing about that article. What many don't know is that IAKOW is a Corch Level clueless pumper (no offense, Corch) who tried to verbally eviscerate, or at least ban (they have or had a rinky-dink forum) or block (on Twitter) anyone who did anything but worship that piece of chode cheese Mullen.

The second funniest part is that they keep trying to imply Mr. QB draw and screen passes was doing a great job UNTIL 2020. He managed to beat most of the teams which we out-talented. That's what 85% of all coaches on the planet do, win 85% of the games in which they have more talent. He wasn't doing well, he just managed to not have a losing record until 2021.

I'm sure that EVERYTHING they said about Fat ass Dwagtham, Hevesy, and Knox is true. Anyone with sense knew how incompetent they were. Billy G should be in the article but I'm sure they squashed it. However, these aren't random garbage that was forced on The Chode because Fooley Part 2 wouldn't buy Mullen a staff of competent asst coaches. These pieces of garbage were his trusted inner circle. As bad of a recruiter as The Chode is, he is just as painfully inept at assembling a staff. As bad as Scotch breath Dwagtham is, he was undeniably the best DC that has ever had the misfortune of being on The Chode's staff.

No, Mullen wasn't ever competent. It didn't fall apart. He is an inept coach who is literally good at nothing. His teams had zero strengths other than "QB can run Q Power." He can't recruit. We just had another story about Mullen nearly running off Tebow and Meyer having to save that (and save Mullen's garbage offense). He is at best a below average OC who usually puts a 70-80th offense on the field. Inept game manager. Inept at assembling a staff. Terrible on defense mostly. TERRIBLE special teams (did we block a kick or punt in 4 years?) He has zero redeeming value and was the weak spot on Meyer's staff.

He will stay unemployed and I will enjoy every second. Even if Napier keeps losing, Mullen knows he is just as much of a loser. No one in the NFL wanted him. No one in college wants him. No one but a Ga Southern type teams even wants him as an OC. Maybe he can replace Butters this year after he gets fired at directional Michigan.

And let's not forget to take this time to laugh at Butters going 4-8 at directional Michigan last year.

One more point. That room temperature IQ, horse-toothed popcorn salesman who was masquerading as an AD overtly said he worshipped Stanford's athletic dept. 7-5/8-4 is good enough and sink all your money into gymnastics and soccer to chase that all-sport trophy (which we never won).

I'm sure it is just one more dagger to his heart that Stanford is soon to be begging the Mountain West for a seat at the table.

Your entire professional life was a sham, Fooley.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely an indictment and confirmation of what we all were speculating during that time. I wish UF could go after him and quit paying the money that the Lazy Azz, incompetent asshat is being paid. We think the program was broken. It was absolutely destroyed. One could think that this extends even further with the former and current players of the culture that was allowed to happen.

It is a wonder that with Dwagtham and Heavsey did not absolutely get the hell beat out of them by some of the players. Can you just imagine the toxicity of that team, locker room, and status of the program when Napier arrived. Heavsey should be calling Mullen the P word like he used on players. It is now confirmed that Mullen had absolute ZERO control over the program and let these asshats in control. Would love to see this in an expose to humiliate those guys and that might be getting off light too. I hope they never coach again anywhere. If they are currently, hope their employers are sitting back and going WTF!

Mullentham is now my most despised coach in Florida History and there are some doosies. Yep, I sure of it, I hate him.

1692699852935.gif

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It's exactly how I imagined Grantham. I definitely woulda liked to have gotten more details on Marco throwing a shoe and Pitts sitting out the lsu game. We already knew hevesy and Grantham were dickheads

Remember, when I used to describe Grantham as knocking up Cafe Risqué strippers, dousing himself in Drakar, chain-smoking Newport’s, and blowing out the bathroom on in-home recruiting visits? I was kind of just joking at the time, but…

1692705871582.gif

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
“Gator fans are just spoiled”

“Gator fans ran off a good coach in Mullen”

“Gator fans demand championships or want the coach fired after 3 years”

Waiting for apologies. Gator fans are right yet again.

(Looking at you @stephenPE )
Good luck with that apology. Fans like corch never apologize when they are wrong about the team or coaches.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
TLDR. The day Cousin Eddie was hired, the ending was already known.
Rather remarkable that a guy named "FireFoley" wouldn't read an article that is pretty much a direct indictment of Foley. I figured you'd read it over and over again with a bottle of lotion nearby.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I asked Donkey to weigh in.

I'm just sitting here laughing about that article. What many don't know is that IAKOW is a Corch Level clueless pumper (no offense, Corch) who tried to verbally eviscerate, or at least ban (they have or had a rinky-dink forum) or block (on Twitter) anyone who did anything but worship that piece of chode cheese Mullen.

The second funniest part is that they keep trying to imply Mr. QB draw and screen passes was doing a great job UNTIL 2020. He managed to beat most of the teams which we out-talented. That's what 85% of all coaches on the planet do, win 85% of the games in which they have more talent. He wasn't doing well, he just managed to not have a losing record until 2021.

I'm sure that EVERYTHING they said about Fat ass Dwagtham, Hevesy, and Knox is true. Anyone with sense knew how incompetent they were. Billy G should be in the article but I'm sure they squashed it. However, these aren't random garbage that was forced on The Chode because Fooley Part 2 wouldn't buy Mullen a staff of competent asst coaches. These pieces of garbage were his trusted inner circle. As bad of a recruiter as The Chode is, he is just as painfully inept at assembling a staff. As bad as Scotch breath Dwagtham is, he was undeniably the best DC that has ever had the misfortune of being on The Chode's staff.

No, Mullen wasn't ever competent. It didn't fall apart. He is an inept coach who is literally good at nothing. His teams had zero strengths other than "QB can run Q Power." He can't recruit. We just had another story about Mullen nearly running off Tebow and Meyer having to save that (and save Mullen's garbage offense). He is at best a below average OC who usually puts a 70-80th offense on the field. Inept game manager. Inept at assembling a staff. Terrible on defense mostly. TERRIBLE special teams (did we block a kick or punt in 4 years?) He has zero redeeming value and was the weak spot on Meyer's staff.

He will stay unemployed and I will enjoy every second. Even if Napier keeps losing, Mullen knows he is just as much of a loser. No one in the NFL wanted him. No one in college wants him. No one but a Ga Southern type teams even wants him as an OC. Maybe he can replace Butters this year after he gets fired at directional Michigan.

And let's not forget to take this time to laugh at Butters going 4-8 at directional Michigan last year.

One more point. That room temperature IQ, horse-toothed popcorn salesman who was masquerading as an AD overtly said he worshipped Stanford's athletic dept. 7-5/8-4 is good enough and sink all your money into gymnastics and soccer to chase that all-sport trophy (which we never won).

I'm sure it is just one more dagger to his heart that Stanford is soon to be begging the Mountain West for a seat at the table.

Your entire professional life was a sham, Fooley.
Who knew he was keeping all this bottled up for so long?

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
Finebaum and some of the other "media boys" as SOS would call them, are still scarred from the a$$ whippings they had to watch their teams suffer throughout the 90s/early 2000s and Meyers tenure excluding his final season. So any shot they can take, will be taken.

Grantham and Hev better thank their lucky stars Percy Harvin wasn't on the team or they would have probably took a beating like Billy G.

The article wasn't surprising at all. Just sad to see how we let our proud football program slip into irrelevance and mediocrity. Hopefully 2021 was rock bottom and 2022 was the first step in the right direction. I'm usually not known for patience but the amount of evidence that keeps coming out about how neglected our football program was before Billy took over has me leaning to giving him 4 or 5 years to turn this around IF we are consistently landing top 3-5 recruiting classes and being competitive with the Georgia, Bama, and LSU on the field.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I wish I could laugh, but reading every word of that made me physically ill.

I have coached at a pretty high level on the high school level. In the EARLY days of being a head coach, I would defer to coordinators even when I knew better. That last ONE year and then I ran a dictatorship meaning that when I made a decision, it was that way. There was no "or the highway", it was my way. Doesn't mean I didn't take suggestions and in fact, took them all the time and a lot of times implemented them.

But never did I start a bad player over a better player. I didn't have kids on my team that I ever called a derogatory name. Leaders don't do that. They find out what makes a person ticks and then fuel that. Some need a kick in the ass, others need a hug. If a kid isn't working out, sit them and explain why.

When I became a coordinator at the HS level, it was always a battle with the HC over who to start, what defense to run, etc. HC wanted to install a 3-4 the week of my last state title game. I am like "WTF" are we doing. Right after kickoff, the D takes the field, HC asks me what defense I am running and I told him "the one that going to pitch a shut out". I ran the defense I ran all year. The other team scored with 29 seconds left in the game and at that point I was playing every JV kid that we pulled up to varsity for the playoffs. We won 39-6 and the JV kids stuffed the 2 point conversion.

Being a good coach isn't about knowing football. Its about knowing people and communicating your intent in a way that players understand what they are supposed to do. The fact that Grantham's defense couldn't get lined up on time told me everything I needed to know about him. You can have a brilliant football mind, but if your players don't know what you want to them to do, you suck as a coach.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This makes me wonder how much of that 2020 Trask / Pitts spectacular offense was Brian Johnson and not Mullen. I Would love to get BJ back as an OC.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As I trudged through this lengthy piece, Culture Shock, Part I: Inside the Florida Gators’ Implosion under Dan Mullen, I kept thinking to myself, "For the love of Mike, is there really a part 2&3 of this series?" The stories supporting the "implosion" seem to be endless.

BTW ox, you need to adjust your modeling on the Swonkey A.I. engine. No way that dude constructs a tome like that without at least 50 spelling and grammar errors, misplaced caps, and reeking of bottom-shelf bourbon so bad that you can smell his drunkenness through the screen. But I've got to say that was a pretty good stab for a first gen.

Last edited:

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
BTW ox, you need to adjust your modeling on the Swonkey A.I. engine. No way that dude constructs a tome like that without at least 50 spelling and grammar errors, misplaced caps, and reeking of bottom-shelf bourbon so bad that you can smell his drunkenness through the screen. But I've got to say that was a pretty good stab for a first gen.
I just figured Ox cleaned it up a bit......

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I wish I could laugh, but reading every word of that made me physically ill.

But never did I start a bad player over a better player. I didn't have kids on my team that I ever called a derogatory name. Leaders don't do that. They find out what makes a person ticks and then fuel that. Some need a kick in the ass, others need a hug. If a kid isn't working out, sit them and explain why....
Pitter Patter GIF by Crave

(but seriously, I agree with your entire post)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.