Napier’s first full offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
From that article...
"Finally, a still angry and now agitated Governor Collins ordered both President Campbell of Florida State and President Reitz of Florida to return to Tallahassee to meet with him and the Board of Control.

Collins would later be quoted..."there are some things that are better off not being mentioned in the sunshine," when he was asked why the meeting was behind locked doors.

The only thing known for certain is that when the meeting ended the Board of Control announced that Florida will play Florida State in football next year.

The headlines of the Tallahassee Democrat stated..."UF-FSU FOOTBALL ORDERED".

FSU-Uf annc. head
It would later be determined that the University of Florida did indeed have some contractual issues and they were granted a grace period from the Board of Control, and were ordered to play Florida State in 1958.

Fiction: There was never a law enacted that ordered Florida to play Florida State in Football.

Fact: The State Board of Control Ordered Florida to play Florida State in Football."
Im curious what would have happened had Reitz just said....."Nah." Given Collins the finger and went back to Gainesville. I don't see how anyone can FORCE two teams to play each other if one side is hell bent on not doing so.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
They'll start at smaller programs. There will be NIL $$$
I think you missed the direction this was headed otherwise you're correct. At the smaller programs the NIL deals with Pizza Hut will entitle the recipient to a large pepperoni and a pitcher of coke, weekly.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I think you missed the direction this was headed otherwise you're correct. At the smaller programs the NIL deals with Pizza Hut will entitle the recipient to a large pepperoni and a pitcher of coke, weekly.
Well, Neon Deion did it at a HBC. It may not be huge money but it's better than nothing as in the past.

Last edited:

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
@MJMGator was right to a degree but the vote failed on the floor of the Senate. It was ordered by the Florida "Board of Control" at the time. And yes, they were ordered to play in ALL sports.

How Florida Was Ordered To Play Florida State

It's down near the end of the article.

Thanks for this, like MJM I remember being told UF and FSU were ordered to play each other in some way, but never learned the full story. A fun historical tidbit.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
chris-rock-nod.gif

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Napier knows talent. Let's see what he can do with the Portal after year1?

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the question should be directed at him as to why he's been relegated to the stats of a 4th string TE after being the highest drafted in NFL history.
I can tell Ox is feeling back to his old self once he starts sh1tting on our former players in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.