Napier vs UF predecessors after first eight games

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So the worst of any coach going back to Spurrier at 4-4 with only one conference win? We already knew that but appreciate you listing all the records. Does he deserve a break? Not really. He's the coach just like all these others were, and his record is his record. But he gets a break because he's our coach, and is going to be going forward, so we have no choice but to hope this is just growing pains on our way to building a championship contending team.

He deserves a break because he inherited all around the worst situation of any of the coaches listed and has recruited well out of the gate. The rest is a matter of faith. A year from now we could be better, maybe even substantially better. Who knows? Maybe Napier even makes changes to assistants.

On the other hand, we may be no better than today, hopeless and waiting on the inevitable. But we have to let that play out, and we will.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look at Tennessee all of a sudden surging to near the top of the rankings. Who would have thought after years and years of bad hires and bad circumstances. Boom comes Josh Heupel. You just have to keep on keeping on.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Look at Tennessee all of a sudden surging to near the top of the rankings. Who would have thought after years and years of bad hires and bad circumstances. Boom comes Josh Heupel. You just have to keep on keeping on.
I don't have any explanation for how Heupel turned UT around so quickly. They weren't considered a destination forever. Their recruiting was erratic and suffered a decade plus of poor coaching choices. When Heupel was hired a large contingent of players, forgot the number transferred out, many were starters. Then boom, started playing tough in the second half of his first year and look to be one of the top teams in the country in year two. How can this happen in Tennessee and not at UF?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He deserves a break because he inherited all around the worst situation of any of the coaches listed
This is absolutely bogus. He had the 12th best roster including several players from that team that was a touchdown away from winning the sec 2 years ago. No he didn't step into a loaded Alabama roster but let's not pretend like we're not under performing.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is absolutely bogus. He had the 12th best roster including several players from that team that was a touchdown away from winning the sec 2 years ago. No he didn't step into a loaded Alabama roster but let's not pretend like we're not under performing.

Bogus, huh? You actually believe in a hypothetical #12 talking points ranking? I believe my eyes before I believe a sketchy computer model, and my eyes tell me something far, far different.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bogus, huh? You actually believe in a hypothetical #12 talking points ranking? I believe my eyes before I believe a sketchy computer model, and my eyes tell me something far, far different.
So your telling me our talent is on par with usf or below Kentucky? I'm sorry I even quoted, and I mean that in a nicest way. There's clearly two groups here. Those that believe we're devoid of talent and us that think we're under performing. We can hammer these same arguments over and over. Nobody's changing their mind. My bad man

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I posted a breakdown of the same computer rankings and it upset some ppl.
Many of our 4 star defenders made that grade by the skin of their teeth.
You need a .8900 to be a 4 star player. Several of our guys are under .9000, so by a fraction of a point they were given a 4 star ranking, safer to say they’re closer to being 3s than legit 4s at this point as many like Lee, Boone, Humphries ect hardly get on the field and in Lee’s case he has 1 sack in 3 seasons.
Hell, Wingo was a high 4 and he can’t get on the field.

Mullen was a sucky evaluator

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So your telling me our talent is on par with usf or below Kentucky? I'm sorry I even quoted, and I mean that in a nicest way. There's clearly two groups here. Those that believe we're devoid of talent and us that think we're under performing. We can hammer these same arguments over and over. Nobody's changing their mind. My bad man

We’re probably on par with KY right now but Napier inherited one of the worst program cultures in the country. Just go look through Mullen’s recruiting classes…not the rankings but look person by person and you’ll see exactly why we’re here. Sure he had a couple top 10 classes “on paper” but then you look and half of those classes left through transfer or dismissal, then at least a 1/4 are here but have had no real impact. Then you have the others making an impact but their impact is extremely detrimental. Our best offensive players were brought in by Napier year 1…2 of which played at ULL last year and another at ASU. We are extremely devoid of talent

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm to the right of the dial on the coaching/talent debate. I think it's more of a talent issue but that doesn't mean I'm giving Napier a free pass. He's made mistakes. He'll make more. The transition for any new coach is a messy period, muddy as hell. Napier is the opposite of Spurrier, a deliberate builder and not a quick fix. He'll need to hire the subs to help build the structure rather do it mainly on his own. That comes with risks, foremost among them being the willingness to recognize the need for change and to adapt.

Fortunately, it appears his ego isn't in the way. He admires Saban for his ability to change on the fly. He's selfless almost to a fault. We'll see how quick he is on the uptake. I'm not sure I'd bet against him. He's a determined cuss.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
aint nobody got time for that GIF

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I believe my eyes before I believe a sketchy computer model, and my eyes tell me something far, far different.
Hey just because our guys get outran, pushed around in a pile, get run over by bigger stronger guys, miss tackles, drop balls and miss open receivers in every game doesn't mean they're less talented than the other team.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I can't figure out why more don't see that it is currently a combination of bad coaching and lack of elite SEC-level talent. We are nowhere near as talented as some like to argue. And Napier grades out as a C+ in my book. He has yet to prove that he is anything more than a good administrator and a decent recruiter.

I have seen enough to know that our overall talent level is the lowest it has been in decades (especially on D). How many players on this team would ever break the starting lineup at GA, AL, OSU, etc. I have also seen enough to know that Napier better be learning from his mistakes or he won't be here long enough to know if his recruiting classes will ever pan out for him. Most importantly, he better sincerely come to grips with the fact that he is not an OC, and is a pathetic play caller. Our defensive coaches appear to suck, but it's not like we have any top SEC caliber D linemen (the single most important factor for success in the SEC, in my opinion), so who knows how they'd grade out if we actually did. The D line determines the results of most games, and we haven't had a good one in many years.

It's a combination of everything, and it will take years to fix. Napier must address the things that are in his immediate control. The program's culture was the lowest it had been since the 70's, and that is where I think he has done his best work (booting Cox is another good example of this). He works hard at recruiting (Mullen and Butters burned a lot of bridges) and appears to be doing what he needs to rebuild relationships on the trail. I'm most concerned about his view of himself as an OC. I'm sure some will disagree, but I don't believe he'll ever excel in that role.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I can't figure out why more don't see that it is currently a combination of bad coaching and lack of elite SEC-level talent. We are nowhere near as talented as some like to argue. And Napier grades out as a C+ in my book. He has yet to prove that he is anything more than a good administrator and a decent recruiter.

I have seen enough to know that our overall talent level is the lowest it has been in decades (especially on D). How many players on this team would ever break the starting lineup at GA, AL, OSU, etc. I have also seen enough to know that Napier better be learning from his mistakes or he won't be here long enough to know if his recruiting classes will ever pan out for him. Most importantly, he better sincerely come to grips with the fact that he is not an OC, and is a pathetic play caller. Our defensive coaches appear to suck, but it's not like we have any top SEC caliber D linemen (the single most important factor for success in the SEC, in my opinion), so who knows how they'd grade out if we actually did. The D line determines the results of most games, and we haven't had a good one in many years.

It's a combination of everything, and it will take years to fix. Napier must address the things that are in his immediate control. The program's culture was the lowest it had been since the 70's, and that is where I think he has done his best work (booting Cox is another good example of this). He works hard at recruiting (Mullen and Butters burned a lot of bridges) and appears to be doing what he needs to rebuild relationships on the trail. I'm most concerned about his view of himself as an OC. I'm sure some will disagree, but I don't believe he'll ever excel in that role.
He definitely won’t with a QB hitting 55% of his passes.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'm just a simple unfrozen football fan, but I think a lot of people are missing something that Law (and others) used to talk about a lot...

I don't care how high the recruiting class is ranked if the players you signed are not filling the holes in your roster to make you a complete team. I would think you could have a very highly ranked class that just flat out isn't very effective while another coach could have a much lower ranked class, but they are the right guys in the needed positions and effectively coached as a team (like UK has built).

Again, and I might have this wrong, but just from browsing our threads, I am concerned that we've got a zillion very highly rated secondary recruits that are skewing our overall ranking higher, but won't translate to squat if there aren't at least decent LBs and DL players in front of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator