Natural phenomena or wonder of the world…

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What natural phenomena or wonder of the world is still on your bucket list to see?

I really want to see the northern lights in Alaska, Canada or Sweden.

upload_2022-3-2_22-29-3.jpeg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t travel much, so a Republican President (DeSantis preferably) would check off the box for me. I figure with 2 million+ new potential Democratic voters now in the US, it would be a “wonder.”

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
What natural phenomena or wonder of the world is still on your bucket list to see?

Same for me. I saw them once (allegedly) in Northern Wisconsin as a kid, but have no memory of it. My older sisters assure me I was there, but it’s still on the bucket list. For Mrs G as well.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I want to see the Northern lights. Thought I might get the chance back in October when I was working in Anchorage but it was too cloudy while I was there.
Mount Rushmore
Grand Canyon
Niagara Falls
New England area though not really a natural phenomena
Pearl Harbor (USS Arizona Memorial) ( I saw it from the air last summer when I flew into Honolulu on the way to Kauai.)

I hope to do some pretty difficult hikes in May. My job is sending me back out to Kauai, HI for a few weeks.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

They are awesome from 35000 feet transiting the Northern Territories.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I really want to see the northern lights in Alaska

This has long been on my bucket list. Now it is on the wife and I's anniversary trip list, but not planned at any particilar point.

We were to go to Glacier Nat'l Forest this year for our 20th but missed the window for reservations, so trying to figure out plan B.

^^Still to do.
vvAlready done did

10th anniversary was time in San Fran and Yosemite. Climbing half dome was always a dream, since I got hooked on Ansel Adams at a young age.

Wasn't on the plan, but wife and I had an opportunity a few years ago to spend time in Bar Harbor Maine. Acadia is slightly ahead of Yosemite as the most beautiful place I've been in my life.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I want to see Santorini; it was the site of a bronze age volcanic blast that is thought to have destroyed the mythical Atlantis civilization. While I was there, seeing an active Mt. Etna would be outrageous also. It would be a great Mediterranean trip.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This has long been on my bucket list. Now it is on the wife and I's anniversary trip list, but not planned at any particilar point.

We were to go to Glacier Nat'l Forest this year for our 20th but missed the window for reservations, so trying to figure out plan B.

^^Still to do.
vvAlready done did

10th anniversary was time in San Fran and Yosemite. Climbing half dome was always a dream, since I got hooked on Ansel Adams at a young age.

Wasn't on the plan, but wife and I had an opportunity a few years ago to spend time in Bar Harbor Maine. Acadia is slightly ahead of Yosemite as the most beautiful place I've been in my life.

Glacier and Acadia are at the top for me. I'd love to go to Bryce Canyon/Arches and Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I want to see the Northern lights. Thought I might get the chance back in October when I was working in Anchorage but it was too cloudy while I was there.
Mount Rushmore
Grand Canyon
Niagara Falls
New England area though not really a natural phenomena
Pearl Harbor (USS Arizona Memorial) ( I saw it from the air last summer when I flew into Honolulu on the way to Kauai.)

I hope to do some pretty difficult hikes in May. My job is sending me back out to Kauai, HI for a few weeks.
That's a great list, and it's amazing how few Americans have seen any of those, even the ones in the continental US. I've been lucky enough to see the Northern Lights and your list minus Mt Rushmore and a New England fall. My notes:
  • Grand Canyon. We took the kids about a decade ago, drove from the Phoenix side. That drive and then the Canyon defies description (I know it's cliche, but it's true). The entire drive from Phoneix seems "flat," but you are basically going gradually uphill the entire way without realizing it other than that the temperature drops significantly the further you go. And the drive is BORING and you see NOTHING really, and then you get to the canyon, park, and walk up... no picture can ever do justice to just how VAST it is in terms of width and depth.
  • Niagara Falls. Same, took the kids. MUST go to Canadian side or there is no point. Did the tour up the river too. The thing that was most amazing that I had never thought about, is that obviously I realize that the falls wear down the rock over time, but I had never realized before that the falls have basically been collapsing/retreating backwards like a glacier for miles and miles over zillions of years.
  • USS Arizona memorial. Same, took the kids. Hands down the most humbling, solemn, place I've ever been. More so than even concentration camps. I think it's because you are with a lot of people at the Arizona memorial, and you can look down it, whereas concentration camps are more open and it's more an individual experience or with just a few others vs the Arizona.
  • I know we're off the "natural" wonders kind of thing, but the one other place that overwhelmed me was going up to the edge of the WTC memorial. I don't know about others here, but for me, as "ugly" as they were, the WTCs were the most massive, dominating, bad ass "FU world!" buildings on the planet I had ever seen. FFS, you could see their silhouettes from the NJ Turnpike LONG before you even hit the Jersey side of the river. I had been to offices in the WTC, and I had been there not long after 9/11 happened when all the personal stuff was still along the fence. The first time I went to the memorial was a few years ago with Son #2. I did not expect the reaction I had. PS I think the new building was a weak assed, limp dick, replacement of "meh" and still do.
I've been to other man made and natural wonders around the world, but I beg everyone here, you owe it to yourself to get to most of the ones Nalt posted. I'd throw Yellowstone/Old Faithful (me, Son #1, and Son #2 went about a week before Covid shut everything down) on there too, but honestly, I would not put it above the GC, NF, and the Arizona.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
That's a great list, and it's amazing how few Americans have seen any of those, even the ones in the continental US. I've been lucky enough to see the Northern Lights and your list minus Mt Rushmore and a New England fall. My notes:
  • Grand Canyon. We took the kids about a decade ago, drove from the Phoenix side. That drive and then the Canyon defies description (I know it's cliche, but it's true). The entire drive from Phoneix seems "flat," but you are basically going gradually uphill the entire way without realizing it other than that the temperature drops significantly the further you go. And the drive is BORING and you see NOTHING really, and then you get to the canyon, park, and walk up... no picture can ever do justice to just how VAST it is in terms of width and depth.
  • Niagara Falls. Same, took the kids. MUST go to Canadian side or there is no point. Did the tour up the river too. The thing that was most amazing that I had never thought about, is that obviously I realize that the falls wear down the rock over time, but I had never realized before that the falls have basically been collapsing/retreating backwards like a glacier for miles and miles over zillions of years.
  • USS Arizona memorial. Same, took the kids. Hands down the most humbling, solemn, place I've ever been. More so than even concentration camps. I think it's because you are with a lot of people at the Arizona memorial, and you can look down it, whereas concentration camps are more open and it's more an individual experience or with just a few others vs the Arizona.
  • I know we're off the "natural" wonders kind of thing, but the one other place that overwhelmed me was going up to the edge of the WTC memorial. I don't know about others here, but for me, as "ugly" as they were, the WTCs were the most massive, dominating, bad ass "FU world!" buildings on the planet I had ever seen. FFS, you could see their silhouettes from the NJ Turnpike LONG before you even hit the Jersey side of the river. I had been to offices in the WTC, and I had been there not long after 9/11 happened when all the personal stuff was still along the fence. The first time I went to the memorial was a few years ago with Son #2. I did not expect the reaction I had. PS I think the new building was a weak assed, limp dick, replacement of "meh" and still do.
I've been to other man made and natural wonders around the world, but I beg everyone here, you owe it to yourself to get to most of the ones Nalt posted. I'd throw Yellowstone/Old Faithful (me, Son #1, and Son #2 went about a week before Covid shut everything down) on there too, but honestly, I would not put it above the GC, NF, and the Arizona.
My job sent me to NY city in 2003. My hotel was across the road from Ground Zero. My boss and I walked over to see the site as it was being deconstructed. Even that long after the attack they still had about 1/3 of the below ground floors to remove. As we walked onto the site I could feel a very strange, almost spiritual feeling come over me. To say that I was humbled is a gross understatement. I haven't been back yet either but hope to.

I would have added Yellowstone/Old Faithful but just didn't remember them. Good add.

I have also been fortunate enough to be sent to Kauai, HI four times so far for my job. The Waimea Canyon is called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. It is absolutely beautiful and breathtaking. I'd love to take a helicopter tour sometime but just can't justify spending the ~$400 to do that yet... Maybe if the Mrs. gets to go out with me again someday...

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with @Detroitgator's comments about the grand canyon. It's truly breathtaking.

For the northern lights I would consider a trip to Iceland. They have some pretty incredible natural sights there to go along with it. Waterfalls, volcanoes, icebergs, glaciers, hot springs, geothermal areas...

Some other pretty spectacular places I've been:
Yosemite Valley
Panorama Ridge in British Columbia
Hurricane pass in the tetons

On the to do list in no particular order:
The grand prismatic Yellowstone
Victoria falls
Waipio valley
Milford sound
Everest Basecamp
Zion national park
Denali

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
My job sent me to NY city in 2003. My hotel was across the road from Ground Zero. My boss and I walked over to see the site as it was being deconstructed. Even that long after the attack they still had about 1/3 of the below ground floors to remove. As we walked onto the site I could feel a very strange, almost spiritual feeling come over me. To say that I was humbled is a gross understatement. I haven't been back yet either but hope to.

I would have added Yellowstone/Old Faithful but just didn't remember them. Good add.

I have also been fortunate enough to be sent to Kauai, HI four times so far for my job. The Waimea Canyon is called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. It is absolutely beautiful and breathtaking. I'd love to take a helicopter tour sometime but just can't justify spending the ~$400 to do that yet... Maybe if the Mrs. gets to go out with me again someday...
We did the helicopter tour on the big island so we could see everything, especially the lava. Kids were wayyyyy too small to walk any of that... worth every penny of the $700 it cost for all of us and MIL.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The jet boat is great but i still prefer the maid of the mist myself . Totally agree on the Canadian side . The first legal drink I ever bought was at the NF hard rock north of the border at 19. American teens getting legally drunk in Canada is still very much a thing .

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I want to see Santorini; it was the site of a bronze age volcanic blast that is thought to have destroyed the mythical Atlantis civilization. While I was there, seeing an active Mt. Etna would be outrageous also. It would be a great Mediterranean trip.

I ran into a co-worker at the airport yesterday- she and her husband just got back from Greece and she was gushing about Santorini. Trip of a lifetime

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.