NCAA proposes rule to let schools, athletes enter NIL deals

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

"Baker shared the proposed changes in a letter sent to member schools. If Division I schools choose to adopt the rules, they would be allowed to enter into name, image and likeness deals directly with their athletes. The new rules would also create a new subdivision of Division I schools that would be allowed to create its own set of rules for recruiting, transfers, roster size and a wide range of other policies. To be a part of that subdivision, each school would have to put millions of dollars each year into a trust fund for athletes."

Discuss.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This will be Florida and Vandy's chance to split from the SEC while the rest of the SEC goes to the paid division.

Little down my mind that our Slumlords will want nothing to do with that.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Totally.
We should take it a step further, if this is going to be NFL lite, mid season trades should be on the table.
Interested Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Get rid of NIL collectives. If a player wants to profit, let him hire an agent or drum up his own endorsements. Only the top handful of college players can command ridiculous sums of money. That's the way it ought to be.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Let's just stop this charade of "student athletes". The golden goose is cooking.
Just stop scholarships for athletes at ALL levels. No scholarships.
No recruiting. Pay each player a "minimum wage" , equal to a set amount under the NFL minimum. Make them pay for their own tuition, room and board and every thing else that all other students have to pay.

These spoiled brats want to get paid, they want to move around and play for another coach when they F up and get benched. These Fn puzzy's, don't want to put in the work to be successful. F it, F it all.
It was over when the first lawsuit hit the courts.

Football can continue as farm clubs for the NFL. College Football is a farce. The name "College" is laughable.
It's pay for play using a College name as some sort of qualifier to make people think there are actual students on the field.

No one should be surprised. We all knew then end was near.

I guess, It makes it easier when your "team", is sitting on the edge of another 1979.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Let's just stop this charade of "student athletes". The golden goose is cooking.
Just stop scholarships for athletes at ALL levels. No scholarships.
No recruiting. Pay each player a "minimum wage" , equal to a set amount under the NFL minimum. Make them pay for their own tuition, room and board and every thing else that all other students have to pay.
This is what I always thought. If you accept a scholarship, you cannot accept NIL money. You pick one or the other.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
This is just one more step in the evolution to the final, semi-pro league. So now the NCAA wants to segment the groups into those that will pay and those that essentially cant. I understand the harumphing about 18yo getting paid, but its not a strong argument when some dude is getting paid 10 mill a year to do nothing. The money that is flowing into college football built on the players playing cannot be glossed over by just saying be happy with your scholarship.

To me, following the trendline, this group of paying programs (SEC and Big 10) are going to break off of the NCAA, hire a commissioner, set salary caps etc. Exactly like the NFL, because like the NFL, its about the product that they can sell to the networks, Parity makes for more compelling TV and storylines, so at some point, they will ensure the NIL (salaries) will become more structured and transparent. There is no going back, not for the large programs. So just follow how the NFL has transformed.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
The current minimum salary in the NFL is $750,000 per year. I suggest providing EVERY college athlete with a "salary" of $100,000 per year. The stipulations of accepting that though, is they are obligated to play at least 4 years of college sports, no transfers to other schools, and no "sitting out" of games to prevent them from career ending injuries. Oh, and no scholarships either; pay your own tuition/fees.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
It doesn’t work without a draft, otherwise the same as it is , just mo big money. Rip

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Negotations with the college pro players union will likely kill any 4-year lock-in. IMO. The game really needs to allow some amount of transfers, 17 year old high schoolers don't have enough information to make optimal decisions about where to go to school, coaches lie, situations change ... the players need some remedy for those things.

If players have to pay their own tuition, that would give most state universities a big financial moat protecting their in-state candidates.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is just a last grasp at trying to keep the SEC and Big 10 from leaving NCAA.

Fuchs them. Leave anyway. Screw the lilliputians.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Negotations with the college pro players union will likely kill any 4-year lock-in. IMO.
There is no antitrust exemption. Schools cant own players and have no more roght to do so than they do English majors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator