NCAA proposes rule to let schools, athletes enter NIL deals

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This has become a God Awful Mess!

No, no, no. We were told that this was going to be a good thing. I trust that’s still the case and think you’re just being a nervous nelly.

Btw, the mess isn’t even beginning yet. I’ve been told directly by people on the UF staff that there are kids making 10k a month and they’re already setting up for tax issues because of it being 1099. Their other big concern is that if the NFL doesn’t work out or happen at all, and they have to go back to an entry level regular job, how are they going to handle starting at 30k when they just spent 4 years making 100k+? Again, all these things are coming.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No, no, no. We were told that this was going to be a good thing. I trust that’s still the case and think you’re just being a nervous nelly.

Btw, the mess isn’t even beginning yet. I’ve been told directly by people on the UF staff that there are kids making 10k a month and they’re already setting up for tax issues because of it being 1099. Their other big concern is that if the NFL doesn’t work out or happen at all, and they have to go back to an entry level regular job, how are they going to handle starting at 30k when they just spent 4 years making 100k+? Again, all these things are coming.

You mean the NCAA waiting too long to truly take control of something, then having to accepting it kicking and screaming instead of setting up a system that would be realistic, and their will be further ramifications... Say it isn't so.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The current minimum salary in the NFL is $750,000 per year. I suggest providing EVERY college athlete with a "salary" of $100,000 per year. The stipulations of accepting that though, is they are obligated to play at least 4 years of college sports, no transfers to other schools, and no "sitting out" of games to prevent them from career ending injuries. Oh, and no scholarships either; pay your own tuition/fees.
Title IX.
It's not just football, it's basketball, baseball, softball, gymnastics, LaCrosse, soccer, swimming, golf , track etc... men and women.

This proposal says half the athletes have to be set up with a trust of $30k per year and that can be used anyway they want once they leave school (with or without graduating). So thats $120k trust + tuition+books+medical+housing+meals+NIL.

This is no longer amateur athletics.

Get it the fuch off college campuses.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You mean the NCAA waiting too long to truly take control of something, then having to accepting it kicking and screaming instead of setting up a system that would be realistic, and their will be further ramifications... Say it isn't so.

We’ve had this discussion before, and I’m not completely opposed to that argument. I just don’t know how they would’ve crafted it back then where it would’ve prevented this. At some point, once that seal was broken we were headed for disaster.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We’ve had this discussion before, and I’m not completely opposed to that argument. I just don’t know how they would’ve crafted it back then where it would’ve prevented this. At some point, once that seal was broken we were headed for disaster.

I think the way it was broken caused it to be worse.... I'm sure there is a way, and I'm sure I'm not the person that would know that proper way forward. But the way they handled it, like they handled the start of the BCS, the playoff, and the playoff expansion was them keeping their heads in the sand until it was too late.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There's a flaw in this paying college athletes logic.

DJ Lagaway isn't worth millions because of who he is and what he can do. He's worth millions because he has 4 years of college eligibility left. Otherwise, we wouldn't give him a dime. We'd go out and hire Tebow to be our QB next year.

You see, it's not really a free market. The college athletes want to get paid "what they're worth" on the open market but it's not an open market. It's an artificially closed market based on college eligibility rules. The value of these high school kids is vastly inflated by the college rules, but they want to get paid as if it's not.

Colleges should go to Congress and get an anti-trust exemption and create a functional system. It won't be a fair system, but at least it would be functional.

Alex.

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019

"Baker shared the proposed changes in a letter sent to member schools. If Division I schools choose to adopt the rules, they would be allowed to enter into name, image and likeness deals directly with their athletes. The new rules would also create a new subdivision of Division I schools that would be allowed to create its own set of rules for recruiting, transfers, roster size and a wide range of other policies. To be a part of that subdivision, each school would have to put millions of dollars each year into a trust fund for athletes."

Discuss.
Players getting paid (something fair and reasonable) has been something most of us thought was needed and long overdue, but damn, couple NIL with the portal and it's turned into an absolute cluster**** sess pool that's ruining football and it's a damn freaking shame.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Burn It To The Ground GIF by Parker McCollum
Next Steps in the decline are going to be pay-per-win and pay-per-play. Can't wait! Embrace the future.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
This is just one more step in the evolution to the final, semi-pro league. So now the NCAA wants to segment the groups into those that will pay and those that essentially cant. I understand the harumphing about 18yo getting paid, but its not a strong argument when some dude is getting paid 10 mill a year to do nothing. The money that is flowing into college football built on the players playing cannot be glossed over by just saying be happy with your scholarship.
I never used to agree with this logic, but after hearing how much Stricklin makes annually, I think the money must be shared with the players. Any sport that generates BILLIONS in revenue and profits, should be shared amongst those who make it happen. The grounds keepers and drink-slingers should all get raises. The ticket takers, janitors and all other laborers should get a raise.

$1.5 Mil Annually for Stricknine? Holy Cow!?! With guaranteed multi-year employment. Geez Whiz, You Gots to BE Kidding Me! I would do his job for free. The money has to go somewhere. Give it to the players. SEC should just send everyone a check. Heck, if they really want to be fair, give refunds to the fans in attendance for making the atmosphere. TV revenue for all!

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Colleges should go to Congress and get an anti-trust exemption and create a functional system. It won't be a fair system, but at least it would be functional.
This.

Much as nobody likes Congress these days ... with good cause, of course ... any kind of viable system will require an exemption from anti-trust.

Otherwise NIL just descends into an outright bidding market for college players.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I never used to agree with this logic, but after hearing how much Stricklin makes annually, I think the money must be shared with the players. Any sport that generates BILLIONS in revenue and profits, should be shared amongst those who make it happen. The grounds keepers and drink-slingers should all get raises. The ticket takers, janitors and all other laborers should get a raise.

$1.5 Mil Annually for Stricknine? Holy Cow!?! With guaranteed multi-year employment. Geez Whiz, You Gots to BE Kidding Me! I would do his job for free. The money has to go somewhere. Give it to the players. SEC should just send everyone a check. Heck, if they really want to be fair, give refunds to the fans in attendance for making the atmosphere. TV revenue for all!

Who REALLY makes it happen?

The best football players in the world play in the NFL.

Why do we pay so much to see college football which is a lesser product (at least in terms of skill and talent)?

It's the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back of the jersey that brings the attention.

The USFL's Birmingham Stallions would smoke Alabama. A great college team might have an advantage with a really great skill player here or there, but 25-30 year old linemen are going to manhandle 19-22 year old linemen. Besides, everybody playing for the Stallions would have already had 3 years of starting experience in college ball plus some NFL training camps/preseasons or even a couple of NFL seasons. The best college players leave after their junior year. The professionals have a huge advantage in physical maturity and playing experience.

So why does 'Bama fill its stadium and get TV ratings when other professional leagues struggle? If you switched the players between the University of Alabama and the Birmingham Stallions, Jalen Milroe and Kool Aid McKistry would be playing in empty stadiums and whoever was wearing crimson would sell out their stadium.

So is it really the players that make college football profitable?

I say no. I say it is the brands that matter much more than the players.

We'd watch the Florida-Georgia and the Florida-Florida State games even if all the scholarship players were fired and the teams were filled with regular students. On the other hand, none of us would pay a dime to see Mertz play against Jordan Travis if they weren't wearing orange/blue and garnet/gold and the only reason we'd pay to watch them play for our schools is because Tebow and Jameis Winston don't have any eligibility left.

Basically, I don't think unproven high school kids are worth anything close to the kind of money Jalen Rashada thought he was worth.

Alex.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So why does 'Bama fill its stadium and get TV ratings when other professional leagues struggle? If you switched the players between the University of Alabama and the Birmingham Stallions, Jalen Milroe and Kool Aid McKistry would be playing in empty stadiums and whoever was wearing crimson would sell out their stadium.

So is it really the players that make college football profitable?

I say no. I say it is the brands that matter much more than the players.

We'd watch the Florida-Georgia and the Florida-Florida State games even if all the scholarship players were fired and the teams were filled with regular students. On the other hand, none of us would pay a dime to see Mertz play against Jordan Travis if they weren't wearing orange/blue and garnet/gold and the only reason we'd pay to watch them play for our schools is because Tebow and Jameis Winston don't have any eligibility left.
I personally would love to see college football games full of unpaid scholarship student players that wanted to be there, I don't care how much less talented they are. Let the high school prima donnas go join a paid semi-pro league in front of empty stadiums, and let the scholarship student athletes play for their schools. Alex is right, the stadium would be just as packed and just as crazy. Dare to dream, but man I hope that's the future.

However, to Alex's point, those empty stadiums would lead to NO MONEY to pay the prima donna's in their semi-pro league. It's the brand that brings in the dough, not the players. Perhaps the money could come from an NFL farm-team league, in which they would foot the bill for developmental reasons. However, the NFL is getting that out of college football for free - it's the last thing they would want.

So while great college athletes seem to have college football by the balls, the same can be said that college football has THEM by the balls, as they have no other options until they are eligible for the NFL. What if no college team agreed to pay a great player? Is it in his interest to play for "free" or to sit out? The NFL doesn't want players who don't play.

One of Alex's best posts.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
If this happens I foresee our season ticket renewal tied with NIL donations.

200 apiece from 50,000 season ticket holders equals 10 mil for nil, add that to the big boys money and we should be able to sign a stable of three star recruits and sprinkle in a few four and five stars

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator