New Coach Chess Match

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are freaking hilarious!

I am NOT Stricklin, part of the UAA or someone trying to save anyone's job. My father is a 40+ year booster and season ticket holder. I've been going to games at the swamp since I was 5 years old. As a youngster I saw, in person, the comeback that a hurt Kerwin Bell orchestrated against Auburn, every home game Emmitt played at UF, plus the glory days of Danny and Tim.

I found this site a few weeks ago and have been lurking ever since. I find the reference of Mac as Butters to be laugh out loud funny. I just happen to be thinking of some things this morning and decided to weigh in.

And I absolutely think Butters has to go. All I was trying to say is, it's not as easy as most think. And, if you botch it, you could be screwed for another 3 years, minimum. Yes, Coach O is a bad hire. I don't care if he's had less than a half season. It's obvious already he's a paranoid micro manager, a la Chump and Zook. And if Michigan wouldn't have gotten Harbaugh, they'd be stuck with their own "Coach O." They hit a grand slam (IMO), but could've easily struck out.

I'm searching for my avatar now...

Nailed it ! That's exactly how I had Tpa pegged.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Economics:

At some point the economics turn against keeping a coach who puts a product on the field that people will not come to watch. Season ticket sales and donation slump. Concessions falter during the game. Ancillary sales of t-shirts etc in the off season stagnate. All of these things go along with the worry about buyouts etc.

Perception:

Perception only scares away coaches you don't want. If someone self-selects out of the UF hiring pool because they think UF is too tough a job for them, that is all to the good for UF. Coaches UF wants to hire will embrace the challenge and recognize that the expectations at UF are high because everything is in place to win and win big at UF.

If timing were a concern, UF missed the boat in 2014 when Franklin, Petersen, Petrino, Sarkisian, and Strong were all changing jobs. UF stuck with Muschamp and all of those coaches took new jobs. Some worked out others not so much. Now delays due to worries about timing only put UF further behind.

But to me you missed the real chess game at UF. Who calls the shots now in the UF UAA? Is it the new fund raiser? Or is it the old AD emeritus?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Give me a good reason why I should believe this. He's yet to hire a football coach.
Has he hired ANY coach?

We have no idea what to expect from him.

I will say this, he hasn't had years to blind some of the faithful like Fooley did. I'm not sure he gets a second chance to fvkk up the cash cow.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Another great new poster. Why are you guys always suspicious of new members? We have 800+ lurkers here every day, it's only natural that some of them will log in and post from time to time.

P.S. - Other than DooDooBrown who is used for site testing purposes, I don't have ANY aliases on the GCMB and have no plans to add any. Take your tinfoil hats off for a while.

You the one lurking on Oregon state board

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Perhaps you don't understand, the idea that every assistant coach will be replaced is what I find not happening. Not that changes, including perhaps some major ones.

I can see Nord, Nuss, Dixon, and maybe Shannon out the door. If not then we will have a new head coach at the end of 2018. Win/win I think.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of assistants. I hope the next guy is smart enough to keep a couple of the good recruiters on the staff, unlike mac. Mac ran off dj durkin and hired geoff collins. If you want a quick turnaround and a decent 1st recruiting class, keep a few guys on staff.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Huge-one, we have a problem. Stricklin (+ boosters) just prior to this season, gave Mac n Nuss contract extensions + salary raises. This will deflect our AD's thinking away from replacing Mac or Nuss and fill his mind full of excuses for and full of beliefs that Mac can make changes to resurrect Gator Football. For him to fire Mac would show Stricklin to be a fool. And all our program commanders are foremost busy trying to cover up their foolness with kitty litter.

This all adds up to this Macbust carrying on for years = We have the athletes to beat the East such that Mac gets further extensions & raises. GatorNation may very well be stuck with McNCrew through 2025 ...
... and you know "In the Year 2525"? - still got Mac, moving toward becoming UF's new AD.

Corral, with Toney & Davis will raise UF's performance enough to spare MacNCrew, with no real change.?? So it's up to us to change, ain't it ?? Maybe we get Nike' to change us?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of assistants. I hope the next guy is smart enough to keep a couple of the good recruiters on the staff, unlike mac. Mac ran off dj durkin and hired geoff collins. If you want a quick turnaround and a decent 1st recruiting class, keep a few guys on staff.

thought DJ Durkin already was employed before Mac signed on.... Hiring Collins was a joke to begin with.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Huge-one, we have a problem. Stricklin (+ boosters) just prior to this season, gave Mac n Nuss contract extensions + salary raises. This will deflect our AD's thinking away from replacing Mac or Nuss and fill his mind full of excuses for and full of beliefs that Mac can make changes to resurrect Gator Football. For him to fire Mac would show Stricklin to be a fool. And all our program commanders are foremost busy trying to cover up their foolness with kitty litter.

This all adds up to this Macbust carrying on for years = We have the athletes to beat the East such that Mac gets further extensions & raises. GatorNation may very well be stuck with McNCrew through 2025 ...
... and you know "In the Year 2525"? - still got Mac, moving toward becoming UF's new AD.

Corral, with Toney & Davis will raise UF's performance enough to spare MacNCrew, with no real change.?? So it's up to us to change, ain't it ?? Maybe we get Nike' to change us?

Zager and Evans will be our new coaches?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Zager and Evans will be our new coaches?

... one hit wonders? except Zager has run a very successful business at ZagerGuitars.com. He'll alter your guitar into a much EZ-Play guitar or buy from him a new guitar made to his specs, He's an artist.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
You guys are freaking hilarious!

I am NOT Stricklin, part of the UAA or someone trying to save anyone's job. My father is a 40+ year booster and season ticket holder. I've been going to games at the swamp since I was 5 years old. As a youngster I saw, in person, the comeback that a hurt Kerwin Bell orchestrated against Auburn, every home game Emmitt played at UF, plus the glory days of Danny and Tim.

I found this site a few weeks ago and have been lurking ever since. I find the reference of Mac as Butters to be laugh out loud funny. I just happen to be thinking of some things this morning and decided to weigh in.

And I absolutely think Butters has to go. All I was trying to say is, it's not as easy as most think. And, if you botch it, you could be screwed for another 3 years, minimum. Yes, Coach O is a bad hire. I don't care if he's had less than a half season. It's obvious already he's a paranoid micro manager, a la Chump and Zook. And if Michigan wouldn't have gotten Harbaugh, they'd be stuck with their own "Coach O." They hit a grand slam (IMO), but could've easily struck out.

I'm searching for my avatar now...

Was totally kidding about you being Stricklin (Hence the winking emoticon, which being a new guy you might have missed) and thought your post was very rational. It's clear we are stuck with Mac for the time being, and if he ever does Fire Nuss and Nord, he will buy himself more time at our programs expense. When it looked like we were going to lose to UK, I was almost OK with it because that would have most certainly led to canning Mac sooner rather than later. We deserve to be 1-4 right now, against 4 really bad teams, and it all falls almost entirely on inept coaching prior to and during the games. So, that leads me to a question for you...does your initial post change at all if we were 1-4? Would you still be rationalizing why we will need to keep Butters? Anyway, really good post with excellent points. Just wish we were talking about how we were undefeated, ranked in the Top 10 offensively, and that beating the Dawgs in 2 weeks is going to ruin their season and propel us into the CFP picture instead...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
thought DJ Durkin already was employed before Mac signed on.... Hiring Collins was a joke to begin with.
I think it was rumored that he was going to Michigan but Mac shoulda begged him to stay. Mac kept the worst recruiter (summers)on muschamps staff.

TpaG8r

Oct 9, 2017
Similar to my post that started this topic, HC’s running off assistants is not an easy or desirable thing to have to do. They’re all part of the same fraternity and most of them know what it’s like to be fired. Yes, just about any coach can get another job (see Brent Pease), but they also have to uproot their family in the process, with young kids often involved. If a coach is going to up and move after a short stint, he’d like it to be for a better opportunity.

I’m sure Mac and Nuss’ wives are friends. Maybe their kids too. Yes, I understand it’s business and not personal. I’m just saying it’s tough. Barring a complete hatred for each other (Chump and Cheeseburger?), I’m guessing that firing assistants is the hardest thing a HC has to do. I wouldn’t be surprised if some HC’s fall on the sword rather than break off a coordinator.

Imagine if Foley would’ve demanded Billy fire John pelfrey or Anthony grant?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I can see Nord, Nuss, Dixon, and maybe Shannon out the door. If not then we will have a new head coach at the end of 2018. Win/win I think.

I agree all of them have not produced results that we desire, and most should be able to be improved upon.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Similar to my post that started this topic, HC’s running off assistants is not an easy or desirable thing to have to do. They’re all part of the same fraternity and most of them know what it’s like to be fired. Yes, just about any coach can get another job (see Brent Pease), but they also have to uproot their family in the process, with young kids often involved. If a coach is going to up and move after a short stint, he’d like it to be for a better opportunity.

I’m sure Mac and Nuss’ wives are friends. Maybe their kids too. Yes, I understand it’s business and not personal. I’m just saying it’s tough. Barring a complete hatred for each other (Chump and Cheeseburger?), I’m guessing that firing assistants is the hardest thing a HC has to do. I wouldn’t be surprised if some HC’s fall on the sword rather than break off a coordinator.

Imagine if Foley would’ve demanded Billy fire John pelfrey or Anthony grant?

Sure admitting that you made a mistake is difficult, but it is a business and if the HC does not want to fire them, well I am very capable of helping him out, as should be the AD.

The hardest thing he has to do is to perform which means wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator