Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am beginning to look for a new ride to replace my Durango, that's grown long in the tooth. I prefer 6 cyl SUVs and either 4WD or AWD. I buy my cars rather than leasing and usually buy something 2-3 years old, maintain the heck out of them while driving them a long time. Dottie Durango currently has 218K miles on her. My current short list consists of:
  1. Toyota 4Runner
  2. Toyota Highlander
  3. Ford Explorer
  4. Jeep Grand Cherokee
Any of you guys have any experience with any of these you can share - good or bad?

All insights and suggestions are appreciated.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still driving my 97 4Runner...well over 200k miles. Honestly, you can't go wrong with Toyota. I love mine and will try to replace with another, probably a Highlander.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
take the ford off your list. if you're going for that kind of dependability get the 4runner or maybe check out the Honda pilot. it get SUV of the year a few years back not sure when though.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
take the ford off your list. if you're going for that kind of dependability get the 4runner or maybe check out the Honda pilot. it get SUV of the year a few years back not sure when though.
Says the guys with 'chevy' in his username. :lol:
But I agree, I would not buy an Explorer or any newer Ford SUV - they are flimsy pieces of :kiffin:.
I got a 93 F-150 with 230K on it. The wife drives an older model Escape before they pussified them, and we like it. It's a cheaper option than Toyota or Jeep.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Ford Escape I have is from 2002. Over 200k miles and still running strong.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Last suv I had was an 08 GMC Envoy maxed out. It was great to drive around lookin at jobs, but it was a sissy, wouldn't consider getting it off the hard road. Fell out of it one nite in the garage and it ran over my leg, backed out of the garage on it's own tearing the drivers door off and slammed into my neighbor's Lexus. I figured it was possessed so I'm back in a GMC Sierra 4x4 pick up. This baby's got over 500k ( very regular service) on it and goes strong. I wouldn't buy nothin new. I owned a Jeep Cherokee when they first came out and loved it

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've got a '04 4-Runner. 150k miles. Runs great and will have it till it doesn't have anything left. Regular PM so that's helpful. Before it I had an '89 Explorer. And before that an old Bronco II. I'm just not a Ford fan unless on a budget.

I can't believe SQ and I have the same birthday and drive the same kind of car. :facepalm:

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've got a '04 4-Runner. 150k miles. Runs great and will have it till it doesn't have anything left. Regular PM so that's helpful. Before it I had an '89 Explorer. And before that an old Bronco II. I'm just not a Ford fan unless on a budget.

I can't believe SQ and I have the same birthday and drive the same kind of car. :facepalm:
It might be a sign of the apocalypse.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Here's all the proof you need to go with a Toyota... they did all they could and it just kept going:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Last suv I had was an 08 GMC Envoy maxed out. It was great to drive around lookin at jobs, but it was a sissy, wouldn't consider getting it off the hard road. Fell out of it one nite in the garage and it ran over my leg, backed out of the garage on it's own tearing the drivers door off and slammed into my neighbor's Lexus. I figured it was possessed so I'm back in a GMC Sierra 4x4 pick up. This baby's got over 500k ( very regular service) on it and goes strong. I wouldn't buy nothin new. I owned a Jeep Cherokee when they first came out and loved it
:run:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Consumer Reports has it's car issue out now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I am beginning to look for a new ride to replace my Durango, that's grown long in the tooth. I prefer 6 cyl SUVs and either 4WD or AWD. I buy my cars rather than leasing and usually buy something 2-3 years old, maintain the heck out of them while driving them a long time. Dottie Durango currently has 218K miles on her. My current short list consists of:
  1. Toyota 4Runner
  2. Toyota Highlander
  3. Ford Explorer
  4. Jeep Grand Cherokee
Any of you guys have any experience with any of these you can share - good or bad?.
I would stick with Toyota, even over Honda especially because the Pilot transmissions (and Odyssey) have had some trouble.

If you didn't ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY MUST HAVE 4WD, I wouldn't get it. I've worked closer to the north pole than the equator, and even in the dead of a subartic winter, FWD got me around just fine. Actually winter tires make more of a difference than AWD in several tests. (I think Consumer Reports was one.)

So, if it were me, I'd buy Highlander in FWD. Or even a RAV4 or CRV unless you just can't get by without the extra room (5 passengers ALL the time). Highlander is basically a Camry underneath, RAV4 is basically a Corolla. The last time I was in your shoes I went looking for a Highlander but ended up with a Pilot due to the condition of the vehicle.

However, I soon became quite unhappy with the AWD Pilot's MPG. It got a pretty consistent 17mpg, hardly more than my big Expedition that my wife liked better (Eddie Bauer with way more bells and whistles plus more room).

If it were me, and I felt compelled to have 4WD, I'd seriously consider a Tahoe, Yukon or Suburban. The cylinder deactivation on those engines make them get as good MPG as my Pilot. My friend says he sometimes gets 20-21 (tank not just off the gauge when he's going down hill) on his Escalade. Plus I'd have a real 4WD and the ability to tow some.

I would not get AWD, too big of a MPG hit yet they aren't really good in the winter either (except maybe Subaru or the vehicles with the ability to lock axles).

As I'm sure you know, even with a slightly used car, maintenance by the previous owner (and lack of abuse) is everything.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I had a suberghini for a few years here. It was great in the snow but like Law said, it got terrible gas mileage. Plus, it was very uncomfortable and loud. You heard a lot of outside noise, not that the car was audible.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for everyone's $.02. I appreciate the insights, and I agree with the assessments, especially about the quality of the Toyotas. Based on comments here and my own research, the Ford has been eliminated. Pity, because all things being equal I'd like to support them for being the only one of the Big 3 to avoid gubmint largesse during the recent economic downturn.

I've driven the Highlander and found it to feel an awful lot like a minivan. It had a very soft feel to the suspension and steering - it felt like it just rolled over into turns. I also drove a 2013 4Runner and was surprised at its "truckiness". It actually made my Durango feel smooth. Neither have been eliminated, but neither was the slam dunk I was hoping they'd be. I'd considered the big GMs - but I'd really have to stretch on $$ to find the ideal mileage range I'm looking for.

While the long term reliability reviews for the Grand Cherokees have been less than stellar, I am going to give them a long look. That issue aside, they do tick all the boxes for me and there are a lot of 2012-2015s out there. The Acura MDX and Lexus RX might get a look, too (and while I'm dreaming, the X5), but I'd rather not pay extra for a premium nameplate...

And yes, I can talk myself into and out of basically anything when it comes to spending $$.... :lol:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RAV4 limited. Give one a test drive. I did.
HotLavaRAV4.jpg

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://m.caranddriver.com/features/...suv-crossover-suv-mid-size-suv-and-luxury-suv

You can give this a look over. Runs the whole list of vehicles in the area you are looking, though it's current year, it'll at least give you a guideline to look at.

I don't know how people feel about Hyundai, but they are fairly highly rated these days, though I've never been in their SUVs. My wife has the Sonota Limited (4 door car) and we love it. The new Santa Fe looks decent, at least from the outside anyway, not sure what the interior looks like.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks for everyone's $.02. I appreciate the insights, and I agree with the assessments, especially about the quality of the Toyotas. Based on comments here and my own research, the Ford has been eliminated. Pity, because all things being equal I'd like to support them for being the only one of the Big 3 to avoid gubmint largesse during the recent economic downturn.

I've driven the Highlander and found it to feel an awful lot like a minivan. It had a very soft feel to the suspension and steering - it felt like it just rolled over into turns. I also drove a 2013 4Runner and was surprised at its "truckiness". It actually made my Durango feel smooth. Neither have been eliminated, but neither was the slam dunk I was hoping they'd be. I'd considered the big GMs - but I'd really have to stretch on $$ to find the ideal mileage range I'm looking for.

While the long term reliability reviews for the Grand Cherokees have been less than stellar, I am going to give them a long look. That issue aside, they do tick all the boxes for me and there are a lot of 2012-2015s out there. The Acura MDX and Lexus RX might get a look, too (and while I'm dreaming, the X5), but I'd rather not pay extra for a premium nameplate...

And yes, I can talk myself into and out of basically anything when it comes to spending $$.... :lol:
If you don't mind me asking, do you REALLY need an SUV? Would an extra cab or extended cab truck work for you? Most of them have plenty of interior room and you can put a lockable hard tonneau cover over the bed for extra cargo room. And if you go full size with one you won't beat the ride.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you don't mind me asking, do you REALLY need an SUV? Would an extra cab or extended cab truck work for you? Most of them have plenty of interior room and you can put a lockable hard tonneau cover over the bed for extra cargo room. And if you go full size with one you won't beat the ride.

I've thought about that. I have 3 dogs. I've always purchased a rubber mat for the cargo area for my previous SUVs - and that makes for perfect doggie transport. The mats are easy to clean, convenient and safe for the dogs. I'd never transport by kiddies in the back of a pickup. Plus, I'm not sure I'm a "truck guy"... :)

I drove a 2013 MDX yesterday. Acceleration was OK - handling was surprisingly tight and it is roomy enough and gets excellent quality reviews. My only complaint was the cabin noise was much louder than I would have thought from an Acura. Not a deal breaker but a wee bit disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.