Notre Dame has no business in the playoff

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
This isn't basketball with its million games. They are once a week, for God's sake. Ratings wouldn't change one bit.
ok, I'll bite. A team would have to win 6 straight games to win a 64 team playoff. What would the regular season look like in this scenario? Seems like you'd only have an 8 or 9 game season. Teams that don't make the playoff would be done after that and then teams that lose in the first round would be done after 9 or 10 games. The season is short enough as it is, this would give us even fewer games and the biggest games would probably be in neutral sites. Not terribly exciting to me.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Two of the potential seeds will be afterthoughts if Georgia isn’t included (and I don’t think they should); that reflects the fall-off in the level of competition. But that, as they say, is why you play the games.
IF Ugly isn't included?

There is no "Ugly is included" scenario.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
ok, I'll bite. A team would have to win 6 straight games to win a 64 team playoff. What would the regular season look like in this scenario? Seems like you'd only have an 8 or 9 game season. Teams that don't make the playoff would be done after that and then teams that lose in the first round would be done after 9 or 10 games. The season is short enough as it is, this would give us even fewer games and the biggest games would probably be in neutral sites. Not terribly exciting to me.
I have scenarios, but honestly it's a waste of bandwidth because it's never going to happen anyway.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJM, since you think I'm nuts, I'll ask you. Would YOU care less about regular season Gator games if there was a 64 team playoff?
Yes we think you are nuts.

Let's take yesterday for example, do you think if it's a game that doesn't matter, Bammer and Uga both get in anyway, that you even play Tua and take a chance of getting him hurt?

So why watch a bunch of #3s playing in November and December?

I wouldn't watch.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Can't deny that the teams that have good enough records after 6-8 games to be guaranteed a spot will rest starters IOT save them for the games that actually matter (playoff games). You see that in every sport that has a large playoff birth. Every one. It would be ignorant to believe it wouldn't happen in cfb.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The first year you change it to 8 teams, then you’d have numbers 9-12 *****ing to make it a 16 team field. I think 4 is plenty and wouldn’t mind seeing it go back to the BCS formula with 2 teams. They got it right damn near every year and it keeps the regular season relevant like no other sport in the land.
I haven't been around in forever i logged in just to give this a like. I don't know how any college football fan can ever want a bigger playoff go watch the NFL or every other sport if thats what you want.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The regular season getting destroyed is just as inevitable as the bowl games getting destroyed by the playoff expansion to 4 teams. Now no one gives a shyt about the Rose Bowl or the Sugar Bowl.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
March Madness expanded to 68 teams, and what happens every year? Teams 69-72 throw a b*tch fit when they don’t get in. Nothing will ever solve the problem of the first few teams left out. Someone always has to be left out.

In basketball, all of the conference champs get in so the arguments made by teams 69-72 aren't strong ones. A 4 team playoff in CFB means at least one P5 conference champ is being left out along with a number of teams with extremely good arguments. I think it should go to an 8 team playoff and end there. You include all of the P5 champs, you can have one spot for the highest non-P5 team if within the top 15 or something and then two spots for the best of the rest. It also means you can lose a game or maybe two, depending on the losses, and still have a shot. Usually the end of the season only matters to a couple of teams in the scheme of things, this would have more teams in the mix playing for something until that final whistle of the regular season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Let's take yesterday for example, do you think if it's a game that doesn't matter, Bammer and Uga both get in anyway, that you even play Tua and take a chance of getting him hurt?

I wouldn't watch.
A Bama loss yesterday still puts them in the CFP. A Georgia loss puts them on the cusp even in an eight-team format.

Yes, every game matters even in an expanded format. So did our win over FSU even if it was essentially only for bragging rights. We see them one time a year.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The regular season getting destroyed is just as inevitable as the bowl games getting destroyed by the playoff expansion to 4 teams. Now no one gives a shyt about the Rose Bowl or the Sugar Bowl.
a birth or win in either of those doesn't mean what it once did, no doubt.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
In basketball, all of the conference champs get in so the arguments made by teams 69-72 aren't strong ones. A 4 team playoff in CFB means at least one P5 conference champ is being left out along with a number of teams with extremely good arguments. I think it should go to an 8 team playoff and end there. You include all of the P5 champs, you can have one spot for the highest non-P5 team if within the top 15 or something and then two spots for the best of the rest. It also means you can lose a game or maybe two, depending on the losses, and still have a shot. Usually the end of the season only matters to a couple of teams in the scheme of things, this would have more teams in the mix playing for something until that final whistle of the regular season.
So then you have the champion of the laughably bad Pac 12 getting in over teams that couldn't win much harder conferences? GTFO.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

I wouldn't watch.
Dude, you don't watch anyway. I've known you ten years and I've NEVER seen you happy, even when we were winning titles. No one listens to you at this point.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, you don't watch anyway. I've known you ten years and I've NEVER seen you happy, even when we were winning titles. No one listens to you at this point.
Law was fist pumping when UCF raised the admission requirement to 3.0 in 2015.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
So then you have the champion of the laughably bad Pac 12 getting in over teams that couldn't win much harder conferences? GTFO.

I would, I don't think the Pac 12 is going to be down forever. You're going to get years where a bad champ gets in but that would just be how it works, majority of the time the conference champs are going to be worthy of a playoff spot.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You just pointed out why college football is superior to every other sport congratulations.
Total nonsense. We can play this stupid game all day. AFTER you lose a game and are out of the running, people tend to lose interest anyway. Hell, when you lose in Week 1 it can ruin buzz for the rest of the damn season. Ridiculous. So it's either lose interest early or lose interest late, the point is college football could be much improved.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJM, since you think I'm nuts, I'll ask you. Would YOU care less about regular season Gator games if there was a 64 team playoff?
I'm sure I would over time...like I have in hoops. Was a season ticket holder in both sports at one point in time. Now, I no longer start watching basketball until the football season is over. It really makes the regular season lose its luster.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
i mention 8 teams. 5 conference champs and 3 wildcards ( ex osu, uga, wash ,ucf) and this thing morphs into 64 teams wtf?!?

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Total nonsense. We can play this stupid game all day. AFTER you lose a game and are out of the running, people tend to lose interest anyway. Hell, when you lose in Week 1 it can ruin buzz for the rest of the damn season. Ridiculous. So it's either lose interest early or lose interest late, the point is college football could be much improved.
I've been watching football for damn near 40 years never once have i lost interest after 1 loss that's ridiculous and since when does a 1 loss team automatically not have a shot?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
i mention 8 teams. 5 conference champs and 3 wildcards ( ex osu, uga, wash ,ucf) and this thing morphs into 64 teams wtf?!?
I endorse your system. Would increase post-season interest exponentially while essentially maintaining the purity of the regular season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.