November 21, 2008 - the day the Gator football downfall started

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry but not even close. It started when we got 50 pounds underweight at every position. And when we could no longer recruit receivers and running backs he wanted to watch the quarterback run 40 times a game. By 2010 we looked like a Mac team trying to play in the SEC.
So you're saying if Cam Newton would have followed Tebow we would have struggled offensively? That's laughable. Tebow and Newton were two of the greatest and most unique running QB talents in the history of college football, and we had them both at the same time.

You know it, but you wouldn't give Meyer credit if he won 20 NC's in a row.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The fact remains that Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are by far the two best coaches in college football. The dropoff from those two guys to the next tier of coaches is as big as the Grand Canyon.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Cam had nothing to do with the loss to Alabama and Urb's subsequent "heart attack". Meyer mentally checked out in 2010 over his health situation however had Cam been playing and winning Meyer might have been rejuvenated enough to stay - at least until the OSU position opened. In any case recruiting would have gone better and we would've gotten someone (anyone) better than Chump. Of course, as Law points out, we did have a team built for smurph ball but that could've transitioned much easier with anybody but Chump.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Rare instance where I am the only one agreeing with Ox here. Not a good sign.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Sorry but not even close. It started when we got 50 pounds underweight at every position. And when we could no longer recruit receivers and running backs he wanted to watch the quarterback run 40 times a game. By 2010 we looked like a Mac team trying to play in the SEC.

But somehow he got to Ohio State and cranked it up there no problem. I am sure if Meyer got his head together we would have been fine. Hell look at the SEC east over the last 6 years.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Or his extramarital affairs
This. I didn't know about affairs at the time, but I was acutely aware his voice, face, fear,and urgency when he talked about his family, and especially the verbage wreaked of the desperate last ditch efforts of a man who had cheated repeatedly, been given multiple chances, and was shocked when the wife followed through with her threats.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So you're saying if Cam Newton would have followed Tebow we would have struggled offensively? That's laughable. Tebow and Newton were two of the greatest and most unique running QB talents in thehistory of college football, and we had them both at the same time.

No, Im saying Meyer had his vagina attack in Nov of 2009, so it had nothing to do with 2010.

I am also saying that 2010 was going to be a disaster regardless. You do not win in the SEC playing 250-pound OL, 205 lb TE (Hines), smurfs at Wr and Rb, 240 lb Trattou at DE, and even some DT for Gods sake, and a flock of other linebacker sized DLs, and 205 lb safety sized linebackers.

Our roster was totally fvkked by 2010. Broken. Completely. Total rebuild city.

Im just finishig my trip, so logging out. Have the last word.

Go Gators!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So you're saying if Cam Newton would have followed Tebow we would have struggled offensively? That's laughable. Tebow and Newton were two of the greatest and most unique running QB talents in the history of college football, and we had them both at the same time.

We struggled on offense in 2009 despite only losing Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy as major contributors.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No, Im saying Meyer had his vagina attack in Nov of 2009, so it had nothing to do with 2010.

I am also saying that 2010 was going to be a disaster regardless. You do not win in the SEC playing 250-pound OL, 205 lb TE (Hines), smurfs at Wr and Rb, 240 lb Trattou at DE, and even some DT for Gods sake, and a flock of other linebacker sized DLs, and 205 lb safety sized linebackers.

Our roster was totally fvkked by 2010. Broken. Completely. Total rebuild city.

Im just finishig my trip, so logging out. Have the last word.

Go Gators!
Obviously, I disagree that we would have struggled offensively with Cam Newton under center, even with your mythical "250 pound average OL" :rolleyes3:. He's really the only player that could compare with Tebow's once-in-a-generation running abilities. The fact that Meyer recruited both of them back to back is remarkable.

If our roster in 2010 was "totally broken and rebuild city", what is the roster we have now? We would kill for one of Meyer's "bad" classes these days.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But somehow he got to Ohio State and cranked it up there no problem. I am sure if Meyer got his head together we would have been fine. Hell look at the SEC east over the last 6 years.
Right. He had learned his lesson. No smurfs up there, real football players. Of course, an easy peasy FSUlike schedule certainly helped. He was like 2-10 vs ranked teams trough four years. He is no doubt rolling now but the soft schedule hid a lot.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I think it was a cascading effect of all those things. Muschamp inherited a trashed program and did nothing to help it along. Mac inherited a depth issue roster and we are feeling the effects.

The one big issue with Meyer leaving in 2009. Daz probably gets the job because Urbs wanted him to.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If our roster in 2010 was "totally broken and rebuild city", what is the roster we have now? We would kill for one of Meyer's "bad" classes these days.
Right. So true.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Newton may or may not have made a difference? :facepalm:

You think Meyer would have had the same mental problems if we were still dominating and winning titles and Heisman's with Newton? That would have led to other epic recruiting classes, and we'd be the team that looks like Bama every year instead of Bama.

If Newton and Meyer had never left, we would probably have 3 NC's in the last 6 years.
Good question

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
It started when admin decided to stop people from leaving the stadium and the half and having a few over on Univ ave.

The timing of this is about right...and It was Foley's idea....

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
The fact remains that Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are by far the two best coaches in college football. The dropoff from those two guys to the next tier of coaches is as big as the Grand Canyon.
Too bad Meyer sh\t all over us for osu.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Even if Newton somehow saves 2010 the problems just get moved back one year.

The real day the downfall started was when Muschamp was hired, before that things could have been salvaged, after that it was the lost decade express.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
The downfall started the day foley didn't follow Meyer out the door. Seriously who loses 2 HOF coaches in their prime a few years removed from National titles talk about a red flag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator