Offense and new playbook

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting article that just shows us more how much of a failure Muschamp was on the offensive side of the ball.

https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Mc...fense-39289783

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- When Jim McElwain first arrived at Florida and plopped his offensive playbook down on the table, eyes got wide around the room. Jaws dropped.
"Our first install was probably like eight pages more than last year’s entire playbook," receiver Valdez Showers said. "Guys were like, ‘Oh my God.’"
Rather than being overwhelmed, Florida players embraced that they were about to start something very, very new. McElwain and his staff haven't slowed things down at all since that first day, constantly adding to the playbook and tweaking.
The evidence was easy to see Saturday, as the Gators pounded New Mexico State with a completely revamped passing game. Routes were crisp and smartly designed. Formations kept the defense from knowing what was about to happen.
The changes haven't just been tough for the offense to figure out, either. The team's best unit even struggled to adapt during spring practice and fall camp.
"They make everything look the same," defensive backs coach Kirk Callahan said. "As a defender trying to play an offense, when you start to try to get those tips, those formation tendencies and things like that, it gives you a couple answers. But they do a great job of making everything look the same.
"Facing those guys, they've only made us better. They stressed us tremendously in camp with things that we'll see out there on Saturdays, and it's only bettered us as a group of DBs."
Practices are no longer a one-sided affair. Everyone is being pushed to the limits by a playbook that leaves no room for wasted time.
"We have adjustments for everything for every coverage and things like that," Showers said. "Last year it was very simple, just get out there and go fast. That was basically the playbook and everything. But this one is more complex, more pro-style and everything like that."
Callahan wasn't around to see last year's offense, but he's coached long enough to know when he's being challenged. And McElwain and his staff are pushing him to his limits as a coach each day out on the practice field.
Camp was a learning experience, to say the least.
"It was kind of like a chess match out there, because we may cover something right the first time and then he comes back and tweaks something," Callahan said.
Players have all echoed the sentiment: The Gators are getting better, and quickly.
"Now we’re getting tested in practice with all these different route combinations," cornerback Jalen Tabor said. "It’s the same receivers but just different ways they’re running routes, different combinations. We can tell they’re being coached really well."
Perhaps more importantly, McElwain's revamped playbook has bred more than just opportunities for players. It's brought something to the offense that has been sorely lacking the last few years.
"Big difference: confidence," Tabor said. "Last year they were just guys. This year, Coach Mac, he needs his receivers. He’s making them feel like they can be somebody. They have a lot more confidence, and that’s all it was last year."

Attachments

• conv_4411.jpg
    conv_4411.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 65

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
I think we will see and hear more and more stuff like this as the year goes on. It's quite honestly pretty sad....

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree... the more we hear about Muschamp the more you realize how bad he is. I keep thinking it can't get worse... then it does.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's not the size of the playbook, but how efficiently you run the plays. Muschamp's offense wasn't efficient at all. Some of the best offenses were predicated on just a few plays, just called well and ran efficiently. The difference is in the execution of those plays, which judging on a one game sample size is being done with better detail in McElwain's offense.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Treon Harris and DRob running with the first team today, per Twitter/Periscope, fwiw. Same as last week.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Any defensive coordinator who spent 10 minutes in the film room could figure out Muschamp's offense and how to defend well against it. It really was that easy. Depending on down, I could correctly predict what Muschamp would run probably 75% of the time.

The consistent stubbornness and stupidity of that guy is amazing.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n274974 said:
Treon Harris and DRob running with the first team today, per Twitter/Periscope, fwiw. Same as last week.

Both quarterbacks will be running with first team, because they will both be playing with the first team on Saturday. DRob will be working with the first team Saturday as well, he might start on the bottom, but he will need to get his work in too.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, for those who don't have the Periscope ap, in conjunction with Twitter, it's pretty damn cool. I just watched the first 15 minutes of practice following Zach Abolverdi. One thing that stood out was the beginning of practice and the leadership displayed by Antonio Morrison:

If you haven't seen it before, at the beginning of practices, a player will get in front of the team while leading stretches and will turn to the offense and yell, "offense, y'all boys ready?" and the offense responds "hell yes!" Then the leader turns to the defense and yells "defense, y'all boys ready?" and the defense responds "hell yes!" Well today, Treon was leading this and was getting a half-hearted response from the team, at least in Morrison's opinion. Halfway through, Morrison interrupts Harris, jumps in the middle screaming at the top of his lungs "hold on, hold on, hey man, when he f@cking asks are y'all ready, y'all better speak the f@ck up!!" So when Treon started back with the questions, the team was so loud it gave me chills. Awesome stuff, great leadership by Morrison.

*ATX, my apologies for getting a little off topic with the story above. I didn't want to start a new thread but wanted to share it with the board.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
No wonder the last four years felt like this:

Hopefully, with a real offense, things won't be so rough around here much longer.

Attachments

• conv_4410.gif
    conv_4410.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 53

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n274981 said:

Hopefully, with a real offense, things won't be so rough around here much longer.

I'm the lady in the yellow bikini over the last four years... I held on as long as I could and finally said screw it.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Articles like this are why I think we have a legit shot at the East this year. Everyone thinks that this team lacked talent, when in fact the talent lacked coaching. Sure McElwain had holes to fill on the O-line, but the point I want to make is that these guys were able to accomplish a winning record last year with horrible coaching. I'm excited to see how much they will improve now they have been correctly taught how to play the game while the coach on the sideline actually knows how to manage the game.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n274984 said:
I'm the lady in the yellow bikini over the last four years... I held on as long as I could and finally said screw it.

And taking a big huge load to the face?

Sorry, I couldnt help it. :fistbump:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n274981 said:

Great thread on that at the old GSMB.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;274985 said:
Articles like this are why I think we have a legit shot at the East this year. Everyone thinks that this team lacked talent, when in fact the talent lacked coaching. Sure McElwain had holes to fill on the O-line, but the point I want to make is that these guys were able to accomplish a winning record last year with horrible coaching. I'm excited to see how much they will improve now they have been correctly taught how to play the game while the coach on the sideline actually knows how to manage the game.
I agree completely! Same formations different routes/ plays very awesome to hear... Unpredictable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator