Offense and new playbook

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Reverend gator;n274920 said:
I thought their was only one play rule on Muschamp's playbook: to overcome the Adversity on the field?

It's turning out that Muschamp was the adversity on the field to be overcome.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Just curious after reading this thread... we had 3 highly touted offensive coordinators during Muschamp's tenure. But everyone seems to call it Muschamp's offense. Do you think Muschamp ce in with his own playbook and made those guys run it? Or did Wuss, Pees, and whoever the other guy was have these watered down, simple playbooks the players are talking about?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n274966 said:
It's not the size of the playbook, but how efficiently you run the plays. Muschamp's offense wasn't efficient at all. Some of the best offenses were predicated on just a few plays
It isn't 1978 anymore, Dougie. It's just not true, unless of course you have that occasional freak that allows your Os to overcome their Xs on most plays, the Tim Tebow that runs over a LB and a safety on every play or a Percy Harvin who can't be covered by a safety and runs over CBs.

I can see why you loved Chimp until the bitter end.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
GatorTAG;n275082 said:
Just curious after reading this thread... we had 3 highly touted offensive coordinators during Muschamp's tenure. But everyone seems to call it Muschamp's offense. Do you think Muschamp ce in with his own playbook and made those guys run it? Or did Wuss, Pees, and whoever the other guy was have these watered down, simple playbooks the players are talking about?

Yep, chumps offense. He said it himself several times. He made sure when he hired roper that he would "be on the same page" and the same mindset. Nuff said.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
GatorTAG;n275082 said:

Or perhaps because :kiffin: was a DC and Mac an OC.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
GatorTAG;n275082 said:

Who hired those guys?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
None of y'alls comments are addressing the question. Did Muschamo come in with his own playbook or did all 3 highly touted OC's come in with theirs? And if it was the OC's playbook how can all 3 be so bad?

I'm talking playbook here which is what the players are addressing. Not the pressure Chimp put on them to be ultra conservative.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Reverend gator;n274920 said:
I thought their was only one play rule on Muschamp's playbook: to overcome the Adversity on the field?
The Adversity was under the headset.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Our first install was probably like eight pages more than last year's entire playbook," receiver Valdez Showers said. "Guys were like, 'Oh my God.' "

So this is what Muschamp meant when he said he changed the culture. :lol:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n275161 said:
None of y'alls comments are addressing the question. Did Muschamo come in with his own playbook or did all 3 highly touted OC's come in with theirs? And if it was the OC's playbook how can all 3 be so bad?

I'm talking playbook here which is what the players are addressing. Not the pressure Chimp put on them to be ultra conservative.

Nobody knows. I think Muschamp had a "vision" and told the 3 OC to make their playbooks match his "vision". I mean, the offenses underneath all 3 OC were basically the exact same offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n275161 said:

The playbooks changed. The formations changed especially from Frontbutt to Peas. Under Weis we played a lot of 4 receiver sets and tried to feature the smurfs, usually on draws, pitches and screens after it became clear that pounding the middle with Jeff Demps was never going to work. Under Peas, we used more of a Boise playbook, odd formations, motions and shifts. However, we only used those Boise formations for a handful of games before we reverted to full Chimp. Less changes under Roper. Remember the comment that it's easier for the staff to learn the old playbook and terminology. There were definitely parts of the playbook that Chimp insisted stay the entire time.

What we saw with Malzahn was exactly what we saw with Tuberville and Mack Brown suddenly becoming ultraconservative and destroying their own offense, teams, and careers. Chimp is like terminal cancer to a program.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n275087 said:
It isn't 1978 anymore, Dougie. It's just not true, unless of course you have that occasional freak that allows your Os to overcome their Xs on most plays, the Tim Tebow that runs over a LB and a safety on every play or a Percy Harvin who can't be covered by a safety and runs over CBs.

I can see why you loved Chimp until the bitter end.

I like your fictional history Law, it gets more entertaining everytime it's like a broken record. Go back and review my posts, and you will see absurd your "history" is. Get some new material because this is old.

Execution beats size of playbook. I'm not saying a team can have a 4 play playbook. Alabama has been have such a versatile playbook the last few year? Auburn's offense in 2013 was all about an extensive playbook? I guess Coach Nuss who you have killed all offseason was about innovation with Alabama? You always need athletes, but

Much like your "history" of who has posted what, you are a vastly out of your element here.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n275082 said:

Muschamp hired three questionable OC's. Look back at their histories. Muschamp is on the hook for the hires, they are on the hook for their offenses. And we also don't know if the players are referring to just the last OC's playbook or Pease's playbook.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n275304 said:
Muschamp hired three questionable OC's. Look back at their histories. Muschamp is on the hook for the hires, they are on the hook for their offenses. And we also don't know if the players are referring to just the last OC's playbook or Pease's playbook.
You are the only person who puts the offensive struggles on the oc's.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n275307 said:
You are the only person who puts the offensive struggles on the oc's.

Well the OC's should take some of the blame for the offensive struggles. Not all, or even most, but some of the blame.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n275308 said:
Well the OC's should take some of the blame for the offensive struggles. Not all, or even most, but some of the blame.
I can understand that but they were doomed from the start. The way they called plays at their previous stops was drastically different from when they were here.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
TheDouglas78;n275304 said:
All 3 OC's under Will were considered top candidates. I can't believe Weis' NE Patriot playbook is high school stuff. Boise St. runs a pretty wide open offense and Roper would have brought Duke's high scoring playbook of Cutcliff's. I find it hard to believe McElwain's playbook is that much more comolex than theirs.

Muschamp doesn't know enough about offense to have a playbook. My guess is when those guys wanted to open things open, go up tempo or pass he was in their ear telling them to slow down or run the ball, get field position and punt. But its not Muschamp's playbook.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n275310 said:
I can understand that but they were doomed from the start. The way they called plays at their previous stops was drastically different from when they were here.

T I know you have just searching for me to put up the statistics again, because you have played this game before. But their previous stop statistics do not match this argument. I know you have a boner for Pease but he ran another man's offense on a senior laden team for one year which is his only time lower than 80 on the offensive ranking on any of his other stops.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n275277 said:
What we saw with Malzahn was exactly what we saw with Tuberville and Mack Brown suddenly becoming ultraconservative and destroying their own offense, teams, and careers. Chimp is like terminal cancer to a program.
This is true. I'm still thinking Auburn sees the writing on the wall and this is a one-and-done year for Muschamp there. What a shame for all the moronic recruits who followed him there like the Pied Piper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator