Offensive Conundrum

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Can anyone explain why we didn't keep our foot on UT's throat in the second half. Why didn't we continue to take shots instead of running into a pile of lineman and gaining no offensive momentum. It looked like Muschamp out there and seemed like we were trying not to lose instead of being confident and knowing we were going to win. I know people will have their theories, but we were up 21-0 at one point and in my mind there's little to no excuse for not winning that game. Can we just make spurrier the OC maybe he'll open up the playbook a little and not keep calling running plays that result in 1 yard gains. Oh and Mac should take some of the blame for not taking charge after it was obvious what we were doing wasn't working and instead allowing that offensive ineptitude persist.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Simple Nusschamp and a head coach who says he was aboard with that thinking in the 3rd quarter.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Can anyone explain why
we didn't keep our foot on UT's throat in the second half ?...
In my mind there's little to know excuse for not winning that game.

like to nominate gators4224's "little to know excuse" as a companion phrase to "smoking mirrors".?? ;)

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
thought i edited that guess not? I don't care, I'm still drunk from all the shots i took trying to forget that ****show i saw yesterday

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
thought i edited that guess not? I don't care, I'm still drunk from all the shots i took trying to forget that ****show i saw yesterday

... nay, nay g4224, I said that in admiration for that fresh creation. Think how smart like "smoking mirrors"
your phrase is "little to know excuse" makes Vaudevillian sense, like something Costello would say to Abbott
or Gracie Allen would say to George Burns. More than 50% of such humor is accidentally said.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If you need a little comic relief after that collapse yesterday, stroll over to Cockytalk and read the masses starting to turn on Roper and Dunce four games in.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Well according to Mac, or poor field position was starting to worry him a little and we played it conservative. Didn't seem to worry him too much the 1st half and it wasn't enough to ask the ST coach if having Calloway continue to fair catch balls inside the 10 yd line seemed like a good idea.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
None of us can explain your questions. I am pretty sure no one on here knows anyone on the coaching staff.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We had the lead, an inexperienced QB, our backs to the goal line and the #1 defense in the nation (on paper). Mac/Nuss did what 99.9% of the coaches in America would've done. Including Spurrier who once gave up a 28 point lead in the 4th Qtr because he went to the ground game.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
We had the lead, an inexperienced QB, our backs to the goal line and the #1 defense in the nation (on paper). Mac/Nuss did what 99.9% of the coaches in America would've done. Including Spurrier who once gave up a 28 point lead in the 4th Qtr because he went to the ground game.

Ok, lets say this is true. Would all of these people you mention stay in the prevent mode even after the other team gets momentum? I kept saying we need more points the whole time. Im sure everyone felt that way. There is no excuse for the 2nd half.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
With how that game went I doubt most good coaches would have waited until the 5th drive in the 2nd half to try to get the ball down the field when all that short crap was not having any success.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you need a little comic relief after that collapse yesterday, stroll over to Cockytalk and read the masses starting to turn on Roper and Dunce four games in.
They should have turned on their AD and fired him between the time that he made the hiring announcement and before he signed the paperwork.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Ok, lets say this is true. Would all of these people you mention stay in the prevent mode even after the other team gets momentum? I kept saying we need more points the whole time. Im sure everyone felt that way. There is no excuse for the 2nd half.
I agree that they waited too long. But coaches tend to react a series or two slower than fans. As a coach you're always preaching to stay the course and it didn't work. But hell, no-one expected the onslaught from UT. I thought that we could lock it down with maybe 2 more FGs and I damn sure thought that we would make it to the 50 (EP's range ) if we had to. Have to give credit to Dobbs and Coach Shoop for that matter though. Personally, I'm more pissed at Nord for not coaching Callaway to not field punts inside the 10. That led to the poor field position that we were fighting our way out of most of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.