Offensive Conundrum

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Just gonna throw this out there, Meyer would have tried something to flip the field, like a fake punt. But then his team would have practiced fake punts.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just gonna throw this out there, Meyer would have tried something to flip the field, like a fake punt. But then his team would have practiced fake punts.

Meyer is the best coach I can remember us having in regards to special teams. He understood the importance more than anyone.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's painfully obvious that a duck can pull a truck if it's all downhill from here.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Can anyone explain why we didn't keep our foot on UT's throat in the second half. Why didn't we continue to take shots instead of running into a pile of lineman and gaining no offensive momentum. It looked like Muschamp out there and seemed like we were trying not to lose instead of being confident and knowing we were going to win. I know people will have their theories, but we were up 21-0 at one point and in my mind there's little to no excuse for not winning that game. Can we just make spurrier the OC maybe he'll open up the playbook a little and not keep calling running plays that result in 1 yard gains. Oh and Mac should take some of the blame for not taking charge after it was obvious what we were doing wasn't working and instead allowing that offensive ineptitude persist.

No. None of us can explain it and we are all pissed and looking for answers that aren't there. McElwain will say that we couldn't block the edge. Well... we could in the first half and we used extra TEs. Then McElwain would say they took it away... well wouldn't that open something else up? Even if it is an underneath pass for 15 yards...

There is no excuse for how poorly our offense played in the second half and how bad the play calling was.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can anyone explain why we didn't keep our foot on UT's throat in the second half. Why didn't we continue to take shots instead of running into a pile of lineman and gaining no offensive momentum. It looked like Muschamp out there and seemed like we were trying not to lose instead of being confident and knowing we were going to win. I know people will have their theories, but we were up 21-0 at one point and in my mind there's little to no excuse for not winning that game. Can we just make spurrier the OC maybe he'll open up the playbook a little and not keep calling running plays that result in 1 yard gains. Oh and Mac should take some of the blame for not taking charge after it was obvious what we were doing wasn't working and instead allowing that offensive ineptitude persist.

Part of it was the offensive line couldn't hold pass blocking in the second half. When they knew we were going to throw, they were at Appleby's spot on a 3 step drop as his second foot was hitting. That is the result of 6 years of poor offensive line recruiting biting us in the ass. We got too cute too many times on our running plays, why go wide when you just push for a yard and get a first. The playcalling was horrible, but the differences in depth of talent was also exposed in the most important position group on offense, offensive line. We are still at least a year a way to be a decent SEC offensive line.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Interesting to note, Mike McCarthy the coach of the Packers must have been watching the Florida Tennessee game. The Packers were up at halftime 31-10 and ended up winning 34-27. He got the idea to run the ball with Lacey and run out the clock. So you see, this idiocy also plagues the pros and I too don't understand.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
The coaching staff...I don't know who specifically...felt like we had a big enough lead that they didn't want Appleby to blow the game with turnovers (which he does a lot in practice). That coupled with Appleby knowing very few plays limited the type of runs we could use. And it was an utter failure because Tenn just played the run and destroyed us. Instead of adjusting after a couple of series the men in charge decided to keep the same crap strategy until we were destroyed physically and mentally....then blamed the players for playing hero ball instead of blaming themselves for ruining the game and probably the season.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The coaching staff...I don't know who specifically...felt like we had a big enough lead that they didn't want Appleby to blow the game with turnovers (which he does a lot in practice). That coupled with Appleby knowing very few plays limited the type of runs we could use. And it was an utter failure because Tenn just played the run and destroyed us. Instead of adjusting after a couple of series the men in charge decided to keep the same crap strategy until we were destroyed physically and mentally....then blamed the players for playing hero ball instead of blaming themselves for ruining the game and probably the season.

The hero ball comment was originally made at Half time when we were up 21-3, so I don't know if he was using to cover the collapse.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why would he say that at half. We played well for the most part.

I believe the question was about break down in coverages and the punt return mistakes. There were a number of missed coverages in the first half covered up by dropped passes.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

How do you know Appleby throws ITs in practice? How do you knows on a few plays?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.