***Official Florida Football coaching hires 2017***

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
im also good at generalities like you dont find the best coaches at FIU, FAU, UCF or North Texas, because they are FAU and North Texas.

That generality is absolutely untrue. Almost every coach you would be happy about hiring worked at a small school before they became a big name.

Stanford hired Harbaugh away from the San Diego Toreros of the Pioneer Football League. According to your philosophy they couldn't have hired a good coach because the best coaches don't work at places like the San Diego Toreros.

Michigan State hired Saban away from Toledo. According to your philosophy they couldn't have hired a good coach because the best coaches don't work at places like Toledo.

The examples are far too many to list.

Maybe you were just referring to assistant coaches?

In that case Saban has no clue about hiring good assistants. Brent Key is the current Alabama offensive line coach. Before Bama he worked for 11 years at Central Florida. That was his only previous coaching experience. Your philosophy says the best coaches don't work at places like Central Florida.

FSU's co-offensive coordinator and WR coach Lawrence Dawsey had 3 years experience all as an assistant coach at South Florida before joining FSU. Your philosophy says the best coaches don't work at places like South Florida.

Chris Partridge was the head coach at Paramus Catholic High School prior to being hired as the linebackers/special teams coach at Michigan. Prior to Paramus he was the defensive line coach at The Citadel and an assistant coach at Lafayette college. Obviously, Harbaugh is clueless because according to your philosophy there is no way a good coach could come from The Citadel.

Ohio State Wide Receivers Coach / Recruiting Coordinator Zech Smith had previously worked for one season at Marshall and one season at Temple as an assistant coach. Again, your philosophy tells us that Meyer erred because good coaches don't come from places like Temple.

Declaring that no small school in all the land has a single good coach by virtue of the fact that they are a small school is utter foolishness. It's a flawed philosophy that's easy to disprove.

By the way, Dan Quinn had worked at William and Mary, VMI and Hofstra when the San Francisco 49er's hired him. It's a good thing they didn't know that good coaches don't work at Hofstra.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Assuming the Stoutland boat has sailed

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That generality is absolutely untrue. Almost every coach you would be happy about hiring worked at a small school before they became a big name.

Stanford hired Harbaugh away from the San Diego Toreros of the Pioneer Football League. According to your philosophy they couldn't have hired a good coach because the best coaches don't work at places like the San Diego Toreros.

Michigan State hired Saban away from Toledo. According to your philosophy they couldn't have hired a good coach because the best coaches don't work at places like Toledo.

The examples are far too many to list.

Maybe you were just referring to assistant coaches?

In that case Saban has no clue about hiring good assistants. Brent Key is the current Alabama offensive line coach. Before Bama he worked for 11 years at Central Florida. That was his only previous coaching experience. Your philosophy says the best coaches don't work at places like Central Florida.

FSU's co-offensive coordinator and WR coach Lawrence Dawsey had 3 years experience all as an assistant coach at South Florida before joining FSU. Your philosophy says the best coaches don't work at places like South Florida.

Chris Partridge was the head coach at Paramus Catholic High School prior to being hired as the linebackers/special teams coach at Michigan. Prior to Paramus he was the defensive line coach at The Citadel and an assistant coach at Lafayette college. Obviously, Harbaugh is clueless because according to your philosophy there is no way a good coach could come from The Citadel.

Ohio State Wide Receivers Coach / Recruiting Coordinator Zech Smith had previously worked for one season at Marshall and one season at Temple as an assistant coach. Again, your philosophy tells us that Meyer erred because good coaches don't come from places like Temple.

Declaring that no small school in all the land has a single good coach by virtue of the fact that they are a small school is utter foolishness. It's a flawed philosophy that's easy to disprove.

By the way, Dan Quinn had worked at William and Mary, VMI and Hofstra when the San Francisco 49er's hired him. It's a good thing they didn't know that good coaches don't work at Hofstra.

You're not disproving anything. In fact, using Harbaugh, Jimbo, Meyer and Saban as examples is just setting Mac up for failure. Those guys are proven. Mac is not. What has Mac done to say - I know what I am doing? His offense has been an utter joke. That's his specialty. QB? Horrific. Again, his so-called specialty. Comparing anything the above guys have done to Mac is just...ridiculous. Meyer could hire a guy out of the stands and have more cred than Mac. That's the way it is right now. Mac just doesn't lose, he loses by an average of 21 points. Not good. He may turn it around and that's great for everyone but when you go on these rants using championship coaches as examples, it just smells like homerism. Hopefully, one day you will be able to include Mac in these conversations.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
You're not disproving anything. In fact, using Harbaugh, Jimbo, Meyer and Saban as examples is just setting Mac up for failure. Those guys are proven. Mac is not. What has Mac done to say - I know what I am doing? His offense has been an utter joke. That's his specialty. QB? Horrific. Again, his so-called specialty. Comparing anything the above guys have done to Mac is just...ridiculous. Meyer could hire a guy out of the stands and have more cred than Mac. That's the way it is right now. Mac just doesn't lose, he loses by an average of 21 points. Not good. He may turn it around and that's great for everyone but when you go on these rants using championship coaches as examples, it just smells like homerism. Hopefully, one day you will be able to include Mac in these conversations.

That has nothing to do with the topic in my post. The post was in response to the assertion that you can't find good coaches at small schools. That assertion is patently false and the examples I gave prove it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That has nothing to do with the topic in my post. The post was in response to the assertion that you can't find good coaches at small schools. That assertion is patently false and the examples I gave prove it.

You don't think that Saban, Jimbo, Meyer and Harbaugh have more leeway when it comes to hiring or anything for that matter? The examples are all of championship caliber coaches. It's like comparing LDR to Tim Tebow. If you don't think WHO does the hiring matters I have news for you...lol.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You don't think that Saban, Jimbo, Meyer and Harbaugh have more leeway when it comes to hiring or anything for that matter? The examples are all of championship caliber coaches. It's like comparing LDR to Tim Tebow. If you don't think WHO does the hiring I have news for you...lol.

:wtf: you're losing it dude.:crazy:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is no more than your rehashed "Oh how I love 2 stars" argument. Yes, if you sift through 10,000 2 stars, you will find that one that became a star. Yes, if you sift through 10,000 directional school coaches, you will find a future great one. But you will also find 9,999 that aren't any good.

The fact remains that we are, or should be (but perhaps need to admit to ourselves that we no longer are) an elite program. Bama didn't hire Saban from Toledo. They hired him after he won an NC and after he was in the NFL. Meatchicken didn't hire Harbaugh from San Diego State, they hired him after he won a Super Bowl.

Keep shining those turds all you want. The only qualifying requirement on their resume is that they made less than a decent plumber at their last job. Are they as good as anyone else in that price range, maybe. Maybe not. I just don't think we need to shopping in that price range much and certainly not for 5 of our 9 coaches.

I hope someone burns down Fooley's house.

You are obviously happy with us being a lower tier school. I hope you have precious few in your corner.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

This is an urban legend regarding Nick Saban. He coached at Toledo for 1 year, in 1990 (going 9-2). He then left to be Bill Belichek's DC at Cleveland for 4 years.....THEN he took the Michigan State job.

But, I do agree w/ you for the most part. You have to start somewhere (as a coach). I don't have a problem at all w/ the Bell hire (if he was good enough for Charlie Strong, I think he's good enough to coach at UF...plus his Florida/South Florida ties). I do have a problem hiring a $93,000 a year no-name coach from a no-name program to coach our OL. Our OL has stunk it up for 5+ years. We needed a splash/big time hire and we landed a dud. Sure, he may turn out to be great some day. But he may turn out to be another Kirk Callahan (so could Bell). Additionally, why did it take so long to "land" somebody who would have given his left nut to come to a place like UF? Probably because McElwain got turned down several times.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The last great recruiter diamond in the rough great hire that everyone supposedly wanted was Callahan.

Sep 29, 2015
The last great recruiter diamond in the rough great hire that everyone supposedly wanted was Callahan.

Primarily for Byron Cowart I think, and the Tampa area. I recall his Dad was Cowart's HS coach. When he couldn't deliver Tampa, Mac kicked him to the curb in a year.

Callahan hadn't ever coached college ball IIRC. Comparing him to Bell or Davis is apples to oranges (that's not to say I'm thrilled with Davis, just sayin).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Callahan coaches a couple of years at a directional school, too. UCF I think but maybe USF. His resume is pretty much exactly the same, if not better. You know, Callahan worked for Creyer and was the next big thing.

Edit
Prior to joining Jim McElwain’s staff at the University of Florida, Callahan coached defensive backs at the University of Central Florida for three years.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/coaches/kirk-callahan/

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is an urban legend regarding Nick Saban. He coached at Toledo for 1 year, in 1990 (going 9-2). He then left to be Bill Belichek's DC at Cleveland for 4 years.....THEN he took the Michigan State job.

But, I do agree w/ you for the most part. You have to start somewhere (as a coach). I don't have a problem at all w/ the Bell hire (if he was good enough for Charlie Strong, I think he's good enough to coach at UF...plus his Florida/South Florida ties). I do have a problem hiring a $93,000 a year no-name coach from a no-name program to coach our OL. Our OL has stunk it up for 5+ years. We needed a splash/big time hire and we landed a dud. Sure, he may turn out to be great some day. But he may turn out to be another Kirk Callahan (so could Bell). Additionally, why did it take so long to "land" somebody who would have given his left nut to come to a place like UF? Probably because McElwain got turned down several times.
I know it's not a popular pov, but coaching hasn't been our issue. Recruiting, primarily numbers, has been the issue. I think Summers was a good coach, subpar recruiter. All that said, even if you recruit lights out, the OL coach is important because of the OL needing to operate in concert. Time will tell if Davis is a good hire, but it is a head scratcher for sure

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really, really, REALLY hope that Davis turns out to be a great coach. Having said that... it's pretty clear Mac was unable to hire a top shelf guy. Whether that's Mac's fault or the admin's fault for tying his hands with a ham sammich budget, we really don't know.

I tend to think it comes down to finances. Even though top shelf coaches would be cautious about coming here because Mac's seat is warming up, money talks. You find a guy like Christobal, give him the Co-offensive coordinator title, offer him a fat salary and say a 3 year guarantee, with the promise that if our offense doesn't break..... Oh.... I don't know.... let's shoot for the stars and say 100 in rankings, then Nuss is out and he gets the gig...But no way in hell our admin would go for that...so Mac is forced to shop a Big Lots. That's my guess anyway.

The truth is we don't know. But to me, there is only one reason he waited this long to replace Summers... And that's because he wasn't able to get who he was targeting. Why that is, is anyone guess.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Callahan coaches a couple of years at a directional school, too. UCF I think but maybe USF. His resume is pretty much exactly the same, if not better. You know, Callahan worked for Creyer and was the next big thing.

Edit
Prior to joining Jim McElwain’s staff at the University of Florida, Callahan coached defensive backs at the University of Central Florida for three years.

Plus we owed Callahan $315,000 when we fired him (he signed a 2-year contract). Another coaching contract fail!

Sep 29, 2015

Edit

Thanks for the correction. That said, I recall he was hired purely for recruiting purposes in the Tampa area due to his dad and that nobody thought too highly of his coaching ability. Hopefully Davis works out a lot better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the correction. That said, I recall he was hired purely for recruiting purposes in the Tampa area due to his dad and that nobody thought too highly of his coaching ability. Hopefully Davis works out a lot better.
Google a little bit and see how smitten Bowl and other parrots were with him.

Sep 29, 2015
Google a little bit and see how smitten Bowl and other parrots were with him.

I don't doubt it - especially from Bowl, ever the optimist. In fact, I recall having conversations with my dad about the hire where he expressed excitement about tampa recruiting coming back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.