***Official Game Thread*** Florida vs Georgia

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well,

1. That was a terribly officiated game. It went both ways in my view, but I am sure if I were an UGa fan I would be unhappy. Still you must adjust and their big who was just barely kept in the game, can not be playing like that on a rebound.

2. I am ok with starting Hayes, Leon, Robinson, Allen and Hill, with a second unit of Egbunu, Stone, Barry, Hester and Chiozza. That gives each unit good scorers in Robinson and Allen on the first unit and Barry and Stone on the second unit.

3. Hill and Chiozza are what they are. In some way (different ways for each of them) they are talented players. In other ways you just want to shake your head. Hill was 7 of 10 from the FT line. I will take that whenever. That is a huge improvement and without that we don't get to OT.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
My problem was I only saw the second half. And was focusing on that first 10 min. Kept missing until I screamed at the Buffalo Wild Wings screen to TAKE IT INSIDE.............Egbu sure was getting the rebounds near the end...........
To answer a few questions you had in the chat box

Lee we need to talk bb one day. How far do you go back in gator basketball?

I have been a fan since the late 90s. I always love to talk bball.

So Lee does this team have all the parts? The mental toughness. I see the depth. Is Egbunu just rusty trying to come back from the injury.

I think this team has all the parts. Is it the best group in a while...maybe. We are missing a backup SG. Our PGs can't shoot, our centers lack 1 on 1 scoring ability (consitently), and our PF is lacking in the weight department. But if they play as a team...we have what it takes to make a final four run.

Egbunu has to be rusty. He looks like a high schooler compared to where he was last season. Hopefully something clicks and we get the good Egbunu back.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Well,

1. That was a terribly officiated game. It went both ways in my view, but I am sure if I were an UGa fan I would be unhappy. Still you must adjust and their big who was just barely kept in the game, can not be playing like that on a rebound.

Are you saying the refs favored UF? Are you drunk? Maybe you were watching a different game?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
To answer a few questions you had in the chat box

I have been a fan since the late 90s. I always love to talk bball.
I saw Neal Walk play in the old Alligator Alley. Except for Jabbar (he was Alcindor then) he was the best college player that year when averaged 26pts and 19 rebounds a game.......... i love gator basketball and have seen a few good ones go through here.........

I think this team has all the parts. Is it the best group in a while...maybe. We are missing a backup SG. Our PGs can't shoot, our centers lack 1 on 1 scoring ability (consitently), and our PF is lacking in the weight department. But if they play as a team...we have what it takes to make a final four run.
I think that play as a team is the key. The 04s were that kind of team. THey didnt play for personal glory. IF Kasey H could shoot we would be top 5 easily. Egbunu looked good early on but the injury has set him back. The big Live Oak kid showed promise. If he keeps playing 9-10 of them and playing bad azzz def. we can hang with most teams..........

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow some of yall are not even happy when we WIN just like in football. Gators WIN and you LOSE again today!! OWNED and DESTROYED!! Yeah I know its not UK and you won't even be happy unless we beat UK by 25 but we WON yet another SEC game. We hung tough and fought hard and credit Coach White for coaching these guys up when they could have easily wilted and lost this game like last year. Go Gators!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'll just present this and posters with BBall knowledge can flesh it out for my learning.
I watched a bit of Auburn vs Kentucky. Both Perl and Calipari roamed the sidecourt, calling out instructions
to this player, that player -- very animated. Both teams were very animated and sped downcourt far faster than
UF does. When a player screwed up, the coach 'yanked' him to the side and in 1-2 sentences explained what
his mistake cost his team.

Coach White exhibits none of that involvement and often our players do not seem crisply involved -- certainly
less energy than UK, Auburn, Louisville, Kansas, Oklahoma State, N.C., Duke, etc. Will this disserve us when
UF meets such empowered teams? As will occur down the road to the Sweet 16.?

In the immediate future, we had better be sharper than vs Bama when we face USCe and Vandy = teams we
should expect to beat. We will need K.Allen, D.Rob to score similarly to how Barry & K.Stone did
today for us to beat tougher opponents. We need sharper, smoother playing from Egbunu, along
with in-close FG% of 50% from him. Every Egbunu miss is a no-score turnover to the opponent.
Egbunu typically shoots 2-6 for shots within 4 feet of the basket. Hayes shoots better.
Guided growth has to take hold in order to produce the consistency it takes to go far. No more back-sliding.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I watched a bit of Auburn vs Kentucky. Both Perl and Calipari roamed the sidecourt, calling out instructions
to this player, that player -- very animated. Both teams were very animated and sped downcourt far faster than
UF does. When a player screwed up, the coach 'yanked' him to the side and in 1-2 sentences explained what
his mistake cost his team.
Different coaching styles. Calipari usually has all freshman so it may work better. Some coaches let em figure it out and keep throwing "positive" comments at them. I think in the long run a little less hands off works better. I liken it to helicopter parents. Now, certainly there are times they gotta tell them stuff..............but some try to micro-manage the game. MW seems to be doing it pretty well in his second year.............Bruce is a real character. I love to watch him get into it and sweat. Reminds me of the dad on the Goldbergs.
The-Goldbergs-15.jpg

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I really like how we play as a team, reminds me a lot of the 04s and our last final four team. We are a mix of those 2 teams really, but no where as consistent offensively and that's due to not having another scoring guard or big man.

I think next season we may definitely be better with a more complete team. Just depends on who stays, as well as who plays PG.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Are you saying the refs favored UF? Are you drunk? Maybe you were watching a different game?

No and no, but when there is a poorly officiated game the fans of the losing side are naturally more unhappy.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
No and no, but when there is a poorly officiated game the fans of the losing side are naturally more unhappy.

Okay, but they can go cry to momma. Gators had plenty of reasons to bull rush the refs. Not just bad calls, but blatant inconsistency that favored the butt sniffers.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Won despite no energy. The rebound numbers say that. And of course in crunch time UF cared and did better.
Yeah, we're not playimg with the same urgency as we were earlier in the year. Gotta get back to it.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you are at the games and watch Coach Mike White you will notice that he is actively coaching our guys up and talking to refs and you can actually hear him from a great distance yelling at the players giving them instructions when you are at the arena. You can't see any of that if you just watch it on TV. He is just like Billy D on the sidelines.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, we're not playimg with the same urgency as we were earlier in the year. Gotta get back to it.

We tend to play with more urgency on the road it seems. This week's game will be a good test for us.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We tend to play with more urgency on the road it seems. This week's game will be a good test for us.
I think we're gonna play south Carolina pretty tough. These guys knew we could just show up and beat Georgia.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think we're gonna play south Carolina pretty tough. These guys knew we could just show up and beat Georgia.

Yup that's what I'm hoping. Repeat of the Arky performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator