***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: Florida vs South Carolina***

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n102314 said:
Amusing that Spurrier may control the future of Florida football.

It's not the direction I'd like for us to go in by any stretch . But we all know deep down he's going to be here next year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n102324 said:
It's not the direction I'd like for us to go in by any stretch . But we all know deep down he's going to be here next year.
You are absolutely wrong man. If we lose this week it won't even be debatable anymore.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n102344 said:
You are absolutely wrong man. If we lose this week it won't even be debatable anymore.

We're not going to lose

Oct 5, 2014
In the three losses this year, we faced mobile quarterbacks who could throw on the run and avoid sacks. Thompson is not one of those!

I think we get four sacks and two interceptions, but turnovers will determine whether they are Gator Bait or we are Chicken Feed.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Left Coast Gator;n102366 said:
In the three losses this year, we faced mobile quarterbacks who could throw on the run. Thompson is not one of those!

I think we get four sacks and two interceptions, but turnovers will determine whether they are Gator Bait or we are Chicken Feed.

We've only turned it over ONCE in the last two games (both with Treon starting at QB)..with Jeff as the starter, we turned it over (I believe the stat was..) 15 times in the previous 4 games..makes a BIG DIFFERENCE!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Leroy Jenkins;n102367 said:
We've only turned it over ONCE in the last two games (both with Treon starting at QB)..with Jeff as the starter, we turned it over (I believe the stat was..) 15 times in the previous 4 games..makes a BIG DIFFERENCE!

Yep. Biggest problem we've had all year in our losses was turnovers. They show the stat all the time, WM has rarely lost with a positive or even TO margin, and he's rarely won with a negative TO margin.

Not only that, the offense has put up 36 ppg and 437 ypg in Treon's two starts. I realize it's a small sample size and still not anything spectacular in today's college football game, but those numbers across the entire season would put our offense at 23rd in ppg and 46th in ypg. Hopefully he continues to improve and the offense continues to put up respectable numbers. Hell, maybe with an entire offseason of work they'll be a top 20 offense or better next year.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Nailed it, Sas. Couldn't have said it much better myself. If Treon gets a whole off-season to get better, and likely bowl season practices..no reason we can't be a much improved offense and even defense when they'll be on the field a lot less.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n102376 said:
Yep. Biggest problem we've had all year in our losses was turnovers. They show the stat all the time, WM has rarely lost with a positive or even TO margin, and he's rarely won with a negative TO margin.

Not only that, the offense has put up 36 ppg and 437 ypg in Treon's two starts. I realize it's a small sample size and still not anything spectacular in today's college football game, but those numbers across the entire season would put our offense at 23rd in ppg and 46th in ypg. Hopefully he continues to improve and the offense continues to put up respectable numbers. Hell, maybe with an entire offseason of work they'll be a top 20 offense or better next year.
What this does is gives our D a rest and out of working against a short field, making a good D better.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n102539 said:
What this does is gives our D a rest and out of working against a short field, making a good D better.

Not sure about the field stuff but our defense was the most rested defense by numbers of plays per game last season as crazy as that sounds. They probably got discouraged the offense only chewed up clock and didn't score much however.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gator Fever;n102627 said:
Not sure about the field stuff but our defense was the most rested defense by numbers of plays per game last season as crazy as that sounds. They probably got discouraged the offense only chewed up clock and didn't score much however.
Less turnovers and more yards suggests that we are punting at worst, so the other team is starting further down the field than they would on a turnover. I'll get some numbers on the average starting field position the last two weeks

Updated: Vandy's average start was their own 21, UGA's was their own 24. Both had one starting spot that skewed things a little. We did turn the ball over at Vandy's 1, and we turned the ball over against UGA on our own 48. Mizzou's average starting field position was their own 45. I would say those turnovers definitely change the length of the field.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Carolina's low offensive output this season was 20 points against Missouri. The one thing Missouri does well is get after the QB. That will probably be on of the keys for us also. The one weakness in a Spurrier offense has always been protection. His Qbs get hit. He expects them to stand in there and deliver the ball. But most of them don't have the stones of Danny.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Left Coast Gator;n102366 said:
In the three losses this year, we faced mobile quarterbacks who could throw on the run and avoid sacks. Thompson is not one of those!

Mizzou didn't have to avoid anything other than getting in our way.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n102716 said:
Mizzou didn't have to avoid anything other than getting in our way.
Sad but true. That may have been the easiest blowout win Mizzou has ever had and probably ever will.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I expect this one to be close only because of how badly USC's defense is. They will move the ball on us, and they will score points. We probably can too. I expect they will load up the line to attempt to stop the run and get after Harris and make him beat them with his arm. As for everything else, I expect Spurrier to be super aggressive, he has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
It seems without fail, even in games we play well defensively, there is a 1st quarter drive where the opponent just marches it right down the field on us. Then we right the ship. Would like them to use one or two of their 1st half timeouts to see if we can thwart that drive then and there.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n102934 said:
It seems without fail, even in games we play well defensively, there is a 1st quarter drive where the opponent just marches it right down the field on us. Then we right the ship. Would like them to use one or two of their 1st half timeouts to see if we can thwart that drive then and there.

This is a good point

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n102934 said:

Our 1st quarter defense has been horrific all season. Seems like after that, we get pretty damn good. I'd like to see the breakdown by quarter of yards/points we've allowed but I'm too lazy to do the legwork this evening.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Coach9;n102934 said:

Not a bad idea.

On a similar not, when a defense gets a turnover score, or sets up like a 1-2 play drive for the offense, I've always thought coaches should call a timeout before the first play of the opposing team's ensuing drive. Especially if they've been out there a lot. Your D goes and earns you points, and is basically told "Thanks, now go right back out there". No data to support it, but I bet a solid 50% of the next drives result in points, simply due to the defense being gassed. A time out there seems so obvious, and I literally say it every time it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.